1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting musuem moving to Sparta

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Trapshooting musuem moving to Sparta shooting complex

BY LES WINKELER, The Southern

SPARTA – The move of the Trapshooting Hall of Fame Museum to the World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta was announced Tuesday night at the annual induction ceremony.

“Jim Bradford, chairman of trustees of the Trapshooting Hall of Fame announced the Hall of Fame Museum will be moving to Sparta and will be located on the grounds of the WSRC,” said Neil Winston, out-going president of the Amateur Trapshooting Association.

Winston said a permanent structure will be built at the WRSC to house the Hall of Fame Museum. The hall is currently housed at Vandalia, Ohio, the home of the ATA’s Grand American for 75 years.

“It symbolizes the continuing commitment of the trapshooting community to form a partnership with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources to promote the sport in Sparta, Ill.,” Winston said.

The announcement came near the end of the 2008 Grand American, and near the end of Winston’s term as president. A St. Paul, Minn. resident, Winston will turn over leadership of the ATA to Bruce Reed of Wyoming on Sept. 1.

Looking to the future, Winston said the state of trapshooting appears to be solid despite economic challenges faced by all Americans.

“Gas prices, and particularly shell and lead prices, have put some pressure on trap shooting because it is more expensive,” he said. “Our participation is down to some extent. However, our membership dues are holding steady.”

“We’re confident. We’ve already seen gas prices take a tumble and lead prices are down about 40 percent from their highest level.”

Participation in The Grand American was down this year. With three days remaining in the event, Winston didn’t have final numbers.

“It’s down perceptibly,” he said.

Members of the ATA were also buoyed by the record number of participants in the Scholastic Clay Target Program. A record 2,100 youngsters competed in the event in the days immediately prior to the Grand.

“That certainly helps,” Winston said. “We have a growing number of Illinois shooters. The center of gravity of the participation in this shoot is shifting toward this part of the country.

“We have many more young shooters than we had five years ago, but it remains a challenge of the ATA to interest people in the middle years.”

One focus of the organization in the coming year will be the recruitment and retention of shooters in the middle ages.

As a final note, Winston said no one could complain about the oppressive August heat in Illinois this year.

“Without question the weather the shooters enjoyed at Sparta is the best Grand American weather I’ve ever seen,” he said. “And, I have picked up my 25-year patch.”
  2. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Glad to hear it! I really look forward to being able to walk through it for the first time upon completion of the move to Sparta!
  3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    This is a logical move. Before someone begins complaining, remember that the ATA Hall of Fame is a separate Corp. from the ATA and no ATA money is transfered to the H of F.

Pat Ireland
  4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Great move! I too look forward to being able to visit the HOF at the Grand. Now lets work on the ATA HQ. Jake
  5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    It is past time for this move. Most shooters, unless they lived within a short distance of Vandalia did not have the opportunity to see the HoF. Now it will be where it should be. At the home for the Grand American World Trapshooting Tournament. - Jim
  6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I'm also glad to hear of it. Just walked thru the HOF this weekend. realized I had never really LOOKED at it. It's something everyone needs to spend some time seeing as it defines the legacy of our sport...

Jim C
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.