1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting (Ljutic) Makes the WSJ

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cls, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cls

cls Member

<i>Saw this article in the Wall Street Journal this morning... Enjoy. cls</i>

(copied without permission)

"Gun Maker Aims for a Comeback

By HARRIS MEYER

June 18, 2008; Page D7

Yakima, Wash.

'Lean forward, hold your head upright, keep both eyes on the target," Jimmy Ljutic told me.

I was standing at Al and Nadine Ljutic's trap field, behind their house, cradling their classic single-barrel shotgun. For many years, the Ljutic Mono Gun was the dominant high-end trap shooting gun in the U.S. The couple, along with their older son, Joe, became legends for their designs and championship shooting.

But two years ago, Ljutic Industries, which Al and Nadine founded in 1959, nearly went out of business. A Yakima industrialist who knew the Ljutics bought the company and is trying to revive it as Ljutic LLC.

Jimmy -- the couple's younger son -- brings customers from all over the country to the trap field. A custom fitting is a key part of selling a trophy gun that can cost anywhere from $8,000 to $30,000. "It's like buying your first Rolex," says Doug Gray, a shotgun dealer in Amarillo, Texas.

With the Mono Gun's hickory stock pressed to my cheek, I stood 16 yards from the trap house and called "pull." Jimmy pressed a button and an orange clay disk, 4.3 inches in diameter, whirled away at a slight angle. I fired and missed. Fifty misses later, my shoulder a little sore from the kick, I handed the gun back to Jimmy.

A few days later, at the Spokane Gun Club's Inland Empire Handicap, I see how it's supposed to be done. Several hundred men, all white and mostly middle-aged or older, line up to compete in the five-day tournament. There are a few women. Juniors will compete over the weekend.

They are shooting for $51,000 in prize money. Ljutic LLC gave $2,000 to sponsor one event in memory of Joe Ljutic, who died of heart disease in December. They also are competing for thousands more in gambling pots.

The competitors wield special trap shotguns made by Perazzi, Kreighoff, Kolar, Browning and others. While new, entry-level Brownings can cost about $1,200; some customized guns with precious metal inlays cost more than $20,000.

The top shooter at a tournament can pocket about $5,000 -- more than enough to cover the hundreds of dollars in costs for shells, entry fees and pots, not to mention gas. Only a few shooters cover their expenses.

Most competitors at the Spokane tournament break at least 90 out of 100 targets in singles, where they fire at one target at a time from 16 yards. The majority break at least 80 in doubles -- where they have to hit two targets thrown simultaneously -- and also in handicap, where they move back as far as 27 yards depending on their shooting record.

But winning an event often takes a perfect 100, which is why the shooters are so quiet and focused. The high overall winner at the Spokane tournament, Doug Starkel, nailed a remarkable 971 out of 1,000 targets in all events.

There are hundreds of competitive trap shoots around the country every year. The Grand American in Sparta, Ill., in August is the major, usually drawing about 6,000 shooters. The sport's semiprofessional stars, such as Dan Bonillas and Sean Hawley, are there.

Shotgun target sports are growing faster than other shooting sports. Last year, 5.5 million Americans shot trap or skeet, a similar sport, according to the new American Sports Data sports participation study. That was up 46% from 1998. Still, over the past couple of years, participation in trap tournaments and sales of new, high-end trap guns are down. Club officials and dealers blame the economy, higher shell costs, and soaring gas prices.

To boost interest in trap and promote their brands, shotgun makers scout for teenage hotshots and provide them with guns, hoping to groom future legends. One recent Ljutic find is 16-year-old Zack Nannini of San Jose, Calif., who already has beaten Mr. Hawley. Zack travels to shoots with his parents, earning more than $15,000 last year (his mother bets on him). "I love the Ljutic gun," he says.

Despite such loyalty, Ljutic -- which produced 340 shotguns a year at its height in the early 1980s -- sharply lost market share in the 1990s to other high-end gunmakers. Last year, Ljutic shipped only 50 new shotguns.

Company officials concede that they failed to keep up with rivals' new products. By 2006, dealers and customers were frustrated at having to wait many months for gun orders. The company owed nearly $1 million in payroll taxes to the IRS and was on the verge of being shut down. In September 2006, Jere Irwin, president of Irwin Research and Development in Yakima, which manufactures machines that make food containers for supermarkets, acquired Ljutic Industries -- settling its tax debt with the IRS for a negotiated sum of $250,000 and making a smaller payment to the Ljutics for the rights to the company's name.

"My financial people told me I was crazy, and they were totally right," says Mr. Irwin, age 72. "But I liked the Ljutics and what they did, and I wanted to keep it going." Nadine Ljutic, 78, remains in charge of customer relations, relying on her file cards on every customer over the past 49 years. Al, vigorous but forgetful at 91, keeps his wife company in the office.

To become competitive again, the company needed to quickly produce a good adjustable sighting rib on top of the barrel. That allows shooters to change the sighting plane depending on whether they want the BBs to go higher or lower.

Mr. Irwin, who has never shot a trap gun, designed a rib that could be adjusted easily without tools -- something no other gunmaker offered. It hit the market early last year. Dealer Doug Gray says Ljutic's adjustable rib is catching on, and that the new owner is doing a good job of rebuilding consumer confidence.

Now Ljutic, which has only 12 employees, is working hard to produce a competitively priced combination gun with detachable barrels for singles and doubles shooting. "People are expecting something great and we hope we don't let them down," says Mr. Irwin, who admits sinking "a couple million" dollars in the gun company so far.

John Ross, former chief operating officer of Deutsche Bank Group, bought a rare, custom-made Ljutic combo gun for $22,000 after visiting the Yakima facility in 2003. Now he says he won't shoot anything else. "I hope the Ljutic name lives on forever," Mr. Ross says.

Mr. Meyer is a journalist based in Yakima, Wash."

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Interesting article. But, I admit, I don't get: "With the Mono Gun's hickory stock pressed to my cheek". WTF?? Hickory??

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

C'mon Tron, haven't you ever heard of journalistic "enhancement" It doesn't have to be true...it just has to sound good!

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

PS- Are you going to make it to Marengo?

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Marengo? Where's that? Are you trying to get me to join the Peace Corp??

Tron

PS...are you going to Mason??

5. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I don't imagine I will be able to make the Ohio state shoot AND Michigan, although I'd really like to. I'll make it sooner or later. I'm not one of those Ohio(good)/Michigan(bad) folks. I went to school at West Virginia University (God's country).

Shoot well.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

6. Lady KX-5

Lady KX-5 TS Member

A hearty congratulations to both Ljutic Industries, LLC AND the Spokane Gun Club! The Ljutics are a staple to the sport, and exposure of this kind really does trapshooting a world of good!

The Inland Empire was a wonderful shoot and if day one of our State Shoot is any indication....it's going to be just as good!

Thank you so much for posting this article. I'll pass it on to the club and the Ljutic family.

Kim Stephens
    President
    Washington State Trapshooting Association

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.