1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting instruction for free

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Just a heads up. I was roaming the internet and came across this web site. 'James Russell Publishing'. The site provides some nice book reading on improving your game. I found it helpful. Maybe some here will too. Jim

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

James is a favorite among members of Trapshooters.Com. HMB

3. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Wow, this thread already has the potential to be a long one..

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jim, Ol' Russ is the source of one of trapshooting's most helpful graphics

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Note the extra effort Russ has expended, even labeling the feet with "toe" - twice just to be sure - in a frank admission that most people who bought his book would not know that, generally, the "toe" end of a shoe is wider. That's why half of them limp, I guess.

Neil

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

He really helped Neil attain a true understanding of the finer points of trap shooting. HMB

6. Neil Winston

True, true, true, Howard. Some secrets I don't even share with other people who happen to show up by chance on a squad with me (though I _do_ tell them almost everything else I know about trapshooting in the hours we are together, of course. And I'm lucky enough to shoot with a different group of squad-mates almost every day!)

Here's one I hold back. It illustrates not only the usefulness of canting the gun to either the right or the left depending on the flight of the bird, but also how canting makes the shot follow a curved path. You think I'm going to give away a secret like that?

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Neil

7. setter

setter Member

Personally, I think the cant technique is even more effective when the ability is developed to cant left for left hand targets (cant right for right hand targets). Much easier to just trap the target that way!!!! Not many offer a money back guarantee these days.

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

So in fig. 3-2 does canting shorten the shot string? Also, am I to believe canting concentrates more shot into the flight pattern? Jim

9. Neil Winston

I'm sorry, Jim, but all of us shotgun journalists who got the book for free had to sign a non-disclosure agreement and can't get into that sort of fine analysis without violating the letter and spirit of that agreement. Rarely, a well thumbed volume turns up here for sale on TS.com; I'd jump on it if I were you; we all have already.

Neil

10. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

Enough! Somebody needs to set poor Jim staright before he actually buys the damn book..

dawg - Where the hell are you??

11. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Well Neil, could you at least tell me in what ways your shooting improved after reading the book? What did you find most helpful? Jim

12. setter

setter Member

Jim,

I'll leave your first question for the true experts. Not bound by non-disclousure, the answer to your second question is a qualified, yes. Must be a forward convex pattern to start. The development of these can be what Neil and HMB descrribe as "Quite Tricky"!!!

Regards,
    Setter

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Careful Neil, I wouldn't want y'all to loosen up too much.

ss

14. Neil Winston

Jim, James Russell's books usually show up in threads titled "Is this the worst book ever written?" (or similar) and most vote in the affirmative. He does not shoot; he does not know how to shoot. He has some of the weirdest ideas about trap any of us have ever come across, two of which I posted above.

Sorry if I misled you. If you go back and re-read the above posts with your new perspective, I think you will see what we were getting at.

Do not buy Mr. Russell's book. Ever. You have been warned.

Neil

15. 56007

56007 TS Member

So this is the reason my scores are so low.......

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jim.... Read, and then re-read Neil's last post here. I knew Jim Russell personally and shot with him when he lived in Crescent City, Calif. He couldn't shoot at all then, and he never improved, does that tell you anything? All his writings about trapshooting are pure fantasy, and nothing more!! If you use his books to try to master this sport, you will be shooting forever in D class, short yardage....... Here is some free, good advice for you... HE CAN'T SHOOT, HE CAN'T WRITE, AND HE CAN'T TEACH.....Enough said... Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I bought my copy from a guy named Singh here on TS.com. I think he sold a whole bunch of them. Then he disappeared.

18. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

To put it in my words, the guy is a f---ing idiot! Do not waste your money please! Tom Rhoads

19. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Damn! I was just about to post mine for sale for the bargain basement price of......pay the shipping!!!!!

20. indycamster

indycamster Member

I bought the book, and as a newbie, I found it to be very jumbled and hard to follow. Also, some of the "Secrets" such as "reload your shells and double up with a friend on Motel cost," to be well, less than "Secret." Then I bought Dick Bennet's "Trapshooting is a game of opposites." I found this to be very helpful, especially on making sure the gun fits and his measurement advice. Not a bad book for the money.
    Then, on Shotgun Life, I found Jack Bart's "Three shot trap," article and I believe this to be the best written instruction so far.
    And to be fair, I have gotten some really good coaching and advice from the good guys at Brownsburg CC and Fall Creek Cc for free. Both clubs do a really good job at encouraging a new shooter. Heck, they did not even laugh very much at my 870 "rabbit gun." Last Saturday at Brownsburg, I was on a squad of really good shooters, all 4 shooting state of the art Kolars. You learn a lot watching and shooting with that level of shooters. I am not ashamed of the 22 I shot against 4 25's. I still have about 400 rounds to go to shoot 1000 thus far. Give me about 2000 more rounds and maybe we'll give the Kolar gang a run for the money. All in the spirit of good sports and friendship.
    C. Mason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
3 shot trapshooting with jack bart
jack bart trap shooting
jack bart trap shooting video

trap shooting instruction in central california

trap shooting instructional videos
trapshooting instruction
where to get trap shooting instruction in central california