1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting In School

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Labs4Mallard, Mar 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Labs4Mallard

Labs4Mallard TS Member

Well, In my school I have always wanted to be able to shoot trap for lets say an after school sport or in a class. Well when I was younger I did not do anything to help my cause. Now, I have turned the tables. I am going to be updating this thread for you to see how I have been doing. I want to get trapshooting at my school. I have ordered info about the SCTP, and I hope to present this to my pricipal and hopefully bring it to the board. I believe strongly that we can achieve this and it will be a sucess.
    Is there any adive any of you can give me?

Thanks, Hunter

2. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

pay more attension in spelling-typing class(justkidding)and good luck. i have no room to talk i reread most of what i write in hope of catching my errors before i hit submit. don't shoot trap in school it could get very loud.kidding again. hope you get your school program started and that you live in a gun friendly state and have a gun friendly principal or you could be in for some disappiontment.good luck.jackmitch

3. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Hunter good luck in starting a Trap shooting program. We have a trap shooting program as a club sport in our schools. It is not sponsored by the schools but they alough us to have announcements at school, and we are able to letter in trap shooting. We have our own guide lines and have to purchase our own letters. With two Junior highs and two High schools in our program with a total of 126 team members. Again good luck Mark R.

4. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

In Eastern Nebraska we have a regular conference that we compete in check out http://shootectc.org

5. missemucho

missemucho Member

Hunter;
    Might help if you told us what state you're going to school in.
    John

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Hunter,

Maybe you can get ahold of Tom. He got the program going in Burlington, WI.

http://www.burlingtonconservationclub.com/DemonsTrap06.htm

Doug

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

It looks like many people start their high school teams in conjunction with the SCTP. High school teams in Iowa have the backing of the DNR.

See if you can get help from an SCTP official. Make sure that you have a good, responsible coach.

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

First bit of advice ... find an adult who will commit to the program. The football team has a coach and the marching band has a director. If you want a program like this in your school or school district you will 1st need an adult to volunteer to be in charge of it.

9. Labs4Mallard

Labs4Mallard TS Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I am attending Lewiston Altura High School in Lewiston, MN. Pretty small. I have a lot of teachers interested in what I am doing. So hopefully I can get something going. Even if it is just a one day thing. Just as long as I can get out there with my class mates and help them. I know a lot that would like to try it. So if I would ever be able to I could help them out and what not. Make me feel like more of a leader and helper.

Hunter

10. Labs4Mallard

Labs4Mallard TS Member

I e-mailed you. Anything I could feed off of would be great.

Thanks to all who support,
    Hunter

11. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Mr. Charles...I am very proud of you, as is the rest of the trapshooting community, I am sure. Thank you for giving so much to our kids.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Good form, Mr. Charles.

Good form.

13. smokeshow

smokeshow Member

This is big in the state of Washington. We did it through the FFA, and my school hosted the "state" FFA shoot that during the 4 years I was in the program the minimum amount of targets thrown was 22,000. Good luck, and it can be done!!!

14. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Here in Eastern Nebraska our local school is one of the few that actually has a trap range ON school property. It has been debated many times so I dont see it living to long into the future. Kids have there coach keep there guns at school and are checked in and out.

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Just a bit of humor. In the 80's we had a trap team at our high school and Remington still had the gun loan thing going on. We received our shipment of 12 shotguns and they were in the principals office, put together, standing lined up on the back wall of his office awaiting the boys to be issued their shotgun. The principal had an irate parent coming in for an afternoon meeting but she settled right down when she saw all of the shotguns lined up along the wall. It was the talk of the school year.

16. Labs4Mallard

Labs4Mallard TS Member

Talked to my gym teacher to maybe have it as a class thing for one day. The way he acts, it's not going to happen. My next move is to go to my FFA director and see if there are any FFA shoots coming up and see if I cannot throw a team together to go shoot it and have a little fun with my friends. If I can't get it in school I atleast would like to do it once, just to say I got that much to happen. Maybe make some head-way for the next trapshooting guy/gal in school to carry it out further.

Hunter

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Congratulations.

When I tried to get an intramural league between area schools going I had quite a few teachers loving the idea.

Administration killed it. The cover your butt mentality was ultra strong. One dissenting parent apparently overweighed hundreds of approving ones.

This was before SCTP. Maybe things would be different using SCTP materials and having a nationwide base of succesful efforts.

HM

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wisconsin does have a very active program between High Schools, in the East central part of the state.

Sheboygan always has a good team, and wins a lot. I don't think they have intramural matches, though.

My vision was to have teams competing with each other on a round robin basis just like the other sports.

Some administration "almost" approved by saying the school would not officially do it but would not prohibit, and we were on our own regarding liability.

And no school facilities would be allowed to be used, not even as a meeting place.

Just irrational fear, that's all. I'm curious about FFA involvement in shooting, That was one venue I neglected.

HM

19. C-Money

C-Money Member

Smoke show is right. I to shot trap in high school with Future Farmers of America 12 years ago. Lots of FFA shoot's all over Washington State. It is a great program. Hunter, dose your school have an FFA Chapter?? Good Luck! Corey

20. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Hi Hunter,

Talk to Minnetonka High School, Hopkins, Eden Prairie, Armstong in Minnesota. They now have trap shooting as a letter sport. It took 7 years for them to acheive their goals. Don't get discouraged and most of all don't give up.

Good Luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.