1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting in Madison Square Garden

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tachyon, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tachyon

tachyon Member

This is from "Baseball Magazine" June 1912.

It is a picture of indoor trapshooting at Madison Square Garden. There were 400 competitors and they turned away many as all posts/times were full. It was an "Outdoor Show" with gun dealers, outdoor suppliers, guides, taxidermy and camping being featured. The trap shooting was a big hit with "large crowds".

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Where are the shooters in shorts with a big overhang? They look much too dapper to be serious shooters.

3. Billster

Billster TS Member

Incredible pic! As a kid was at the original MSG many times. Can't believe they were throwing targets and shot around in there! Thanks for the look.

Cheers
    Bill

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

That's when trap was a hobby for the rich man. That's cool

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

This just may be the reevolution of American style trap. They've do this for soccer (futbol),baseball, football, hockey, tennis, and about every other once outdoor only sport.

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

This just may be the reevolution of American style trap. They've do this for soccer (futbol),baseball, football, hockey, tennis, and about every other once outdoor only sport.

7. Janet

Janet TS Member

Wow they look so dapper and serious in their shooting duds. There were a lot of good shooters back then and without the great equipment we have today.

Thanks for sharing picture.

Janet

8. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Yeah most everybody shot a model 12!

9. tachyon

tachyon Member

As I go through these old "Baseball Magazines" I keep finding more and more articles on Trapshooting. The above was a trophy, a solid silver spoon, given to the winner of the DuPont championship. This was in the March 1915 issue.

I wonder what the whining and complaining crowd would say if they received a spoon as a trophy?

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It wasn't that many years ago that you were expected to wear a tie and jacket when shooting trap!

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've got a question...

If you watch the movie - Cinderella Man, in the 30s they show the original Madison Square Garden as an "outdoor bowl" in his fights with Griffin, Laskey & Baer.

discrepancy?!

Jay

12. tachyon

tachyon Member

There have been four Madison Square Garden(s).

The first from 1874-1890 had no roof. Stands on three sides with a center court.

The second from 1890-1924 had a main hall of 200 by 350 ft. It also had a theater and a roof top garden/cabaret. Many sporting events occured on the roof, making it an outdoor venue for those events.
    It also had a 35 story tower on one end.

The third was from 1925-68 and the fourth is the present one.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Thanks for that!

Jay

14. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

My grandfather shot there in 22 competition. I have his 22 rifle and some metals he won. I would like to see that going on today.

15. tachyon

tachyon Member

Bawana,

I would love to see a picture of the medals/gun. Could you post them?

One of the baseball magazines said they were shooting from the roof of the garden for a trap shoot. I know that some of the shoots were in the main hall but this information makes me think that sometimes they actually shot trap on the roof of MSG. Amazing.

16. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Tachyon, if you would be intereted in helping a worthwhile cause, you could donate a copy of your picture to the silent auction at the Missouri Fall Handicap. The money goes toward the youth shooting program. I try to find donations each year that appeal to a wide variety of folks. I think your photo would be great. We would really appreciate it. My mailing address is Mrs. Leo Harrison, 61419 Crooked Creek, New London, MO 63459. I will be glad to put your name on it as the donor.

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Were they shooting clay targets at this time or still glass balls? I'm not that knowlegeble about shooting trap in that era.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.