1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting Hall of Fame's move

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Trapshooting Hall of Fame

Trapshooting Hall of Fame's move reflects decline of sport in area

By Jim Morris, Staff Writer - Dayton Daily News

VANDALIA — Slowly, the presence of the Amateur Trapshooting Association is fading away from its once longtime home.

First, it was the Grand American, the ATA’s annual championship tournament held between U.S. 40 and the Dayton International Airport from 1924 through 2005. It has been held at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta, Ill., annually since 2006.

When you drive along National Road, almost all traces of what was the greatest shooting event in the world are pretty much gone, save the long brick headquarters building and a few outbuildings.

Soon, the Trapshooting Hall of Fame will move out of its home at 601 West National Road, where it has been since it was established in 1969. There is no plan to move the ATA offices at this time.

The many artifacts — including the plaques of the enshrinees like Annie Oakley and John Philip Sousa — guns, equipment, clothing and countless other items are being put in mothballs to be preserved until a new building in Sparta can be established.

“Our board has voted to move the Hall of Fame to accompany the Grand,” said Jim Bradford of Nebraska, ATA Hall of Fame committee chairman. “We will first raise the money and then put up a really nice building just east of the main building at the World Shooting Complex.”

Bradford said the committee hopes to have the new Hall established by the 2012 Grand American.

Ohio made a pitch to the committee at the Grand last month, hoping to have the Hall of Fame move to the new Cardinal Center shooting grounds in Marengo, just outside of Columbus. In fact, Cardinal Center owner Jack Fishburn offered to donate the land, and the Ohio State Trapshooting Association offered $100,000 to get the project rolling.

“We were very appreciative of what the Ohio folks were offering,” Bradford said. “We considered their offer, but in the end we decided we wanted the Hall of Fame to stay with the Grand.”

Losing the Trapshooting Hall of Fame is not a great economic blow to the Miami Valley, certainly nothing like losing the Grand American, which had an annual economic impact estimated between $10 million and $20 million.

Bradford estimated only 50 or 60 people have stopped at the Hall each year since the Grand left.

“The only time people ever went through the Hall of Fame in significant numbers was during the Grand or the Ohio State Tournament,” Bradford said. “Now we have a few people stop every now and then, mostly to do some research.”

But losing the Trapshooting Hall of Fame isn’t just about economic impact. It’s one small link to a past that once provided the world’s largest shooting event and the only sporting championship ever held in the Dayton area each year.

Bradford said the reason the exhibits are being moved now, two years before the new Hall will be completed, is to preserve them. He said the committee doesn’t know what will become of the current building but fears it is not in good enough condition to withstand a fire or even a large storm that could destroy the irreplaceable artifacts.

It’s too bad to see another tiny piece of history be chipped away and shipped away from this area. Very few area residents have ever visited the Hall, and most people never knew or cared that it existed.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayton-sports/trapshooting-hall-of-fames-move-reflects-decline-of-sport-in-area-318968.html

2. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Yea, now lets move the ATA Headquaters to Sparta as well. JMHO. Jake

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Big mistake!

Curt

4. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

That last line, "most people never knew or cared that it existed" pretty much says it all. It always amazed me when I was out and about shopping (and I did alot of that in the Vandalia/Dayton area)and the locals didn't even know what/where the trapshoot was. We weren't appreciated there. I get a totally different attitude from the folks in Sparta. The very first year, groups rode throught the campgrounds waving and telling us "welcome to Sparta". Business owners came out to the complex and personally invited shooters to eat/shop with them. So far, the prices have pretty much held the line, not like the prices that doubled and tripled in Vandalia during each week of the Grand.

5. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Karla to say that trapshooters weren't appreciated in Vandalia is BS. It's fine for you to be Loyal to Sparta but I'll give you the same advice I gave Al Newcomb when he worked for Federal and the Grand was shooting Federal Targets. As shooters kept complaining about how bad the targets were Al kept saying there's not anything wrong with the birds. I was shooting with Al and if one shooter complained to him 500 did.

Finally after hearing all this for days I told Al "Don't let company loyality get in the way where people confuse it with stupidity." Al said "He understood, do you?"

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Well said Brad, and though I have not been there and won't be I hear the gougeing moved when the Grand did from many who have been there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Why not wait until the ATA finds a "permanent" home and build it on property owned by the ATA. Why would the ATA want to invest in a permanent building on rented ground?? I agree with Curt, big mistake!!

Jere

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

When are they really closing the HOF? Is it closed now or will it be closed in eight months?

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Geez... If no body goes near there any longer whsy wouldn't it make sense to close it. I'm certainly not going back. and in the 6 or 7 years I attented the Vandalia Grand, I went into the TSHOF perhaps twice. Close it and use the property for a more productive use.

And Karla... I alwasy had dinner at the "Shuckin Shack" and never paid higher than their normal menu.

10. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Karla,

In my mind the ATA Hall of Fame and the Grand are two separate things. Yes I too enjoyed visiting the Hall of Fame while at the Grand, but I also visited during the Ohio State Shoot. If there had been more shoots at Vandalia I would have visited the H.O.F. during them as well. We have a chance to build a great facility for the ATA Hall of Fame here in Ohio. This facility could house not only the ATA Hall of Fame but possibly the Annie Oakley Museum, the Ohio H.O.F. and other displays from shooting related organizations. The traffic count that was performed showed in excess of 44,000 vehicles a day pass by the Rt. 61 / I-71 interchange. That combined with the shooter attendence at Cardinal would give any new building plenty of annual visitors. This is not about the Grand at Sparta. This is about preserving our shooting history and heritage.

Don Cogan

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

my 2 cents worth. I agree with the move. I think it will be an excellent addition to the WSC and Sparta, Illinois.

12. rem32lady

rem32lady Member

Just my 2 cents - I agree that the Grand American and the Hall of Fame are two entirely separate things. I don't think a Hall of Fame from Ohio should be moved to a rented facility - the move to Marengo would make a lot more sense.
    Deb Vendel

13. bigking

bigking Member

Why don't you ask Obama he can fix it.

14. Doc G

Doc G Member

Has it sunk in yet that Mr. Fishburn was willing to deed the land to the ATA for the HoF and donate $100,000? That's incredible! Anyone care to speculate on whether more people would have visited the Hall of Fame were it at Cardinal versus how many visitors they'll have in Sparta?

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Questions?? Brad when have you experienced the local hospitality at Sparta?? Therefore how do you compare??

Price gougers - Name them at Sparta and the surrounding area. If you say they are, you are full of crap. Karla is exactly right and is not "stupid". Many businesses for 30 to 40 miles around know our wives and look forward to them coming back every year and go out of their way for them.

Don C.: If people of Vandalia and the traffic that goes up and down 75 & 40 dosen't stop why should the ones on I-71. How about all the shooters that come to Sparta for trap, skeet, sporting and other events. Don't you think that they might be more prone to visit the Hall.

Now here we go again let's start some crap about the Cardinal vs Sparta, Ohio vs IL. I am sure glad you buckeyes have all the answers to the supposed problems of the trapshooting world. The Hall belongs to the shooters of the world not just the Ohio shooters who go to the Cardinal, it belongs at the World championship period and that is located in Sparta.

I find it interesting that those who have never been there or never go there speak as though they are an authority on the community. Pure BS.

Don

PS: Shuckin Shack wasn't located in Vandalia either.

16. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I will speculate that more new people will visit a new Hall of Fame at Sparta, Illinois, than the current shooters would visit it at Marengo.

17. over/under

over/under Member

Do not build a facility on leased land. I think we've been down that road before?

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I will repeat my question. Is it closed, will it close in three weeks, or will it close in eight months? I would like to visit before the exhibits are warehoused indefinitely.

19. bubba at ohio

bubba at ohio TS Member

i think sparta should be the place but leased ground or land with a deed i dont no

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Ohio Trapshooters Bought and paid for the land that held the Grand American, it was shooters fvrom Dayton Ohio and Investors from Ohio that Put the Grand American on the map.

Hell we even had some shooters from MICHIGAN go to the grand this is for BIG DON.

Is the ATA going to use the money from the Home grounds to build a building on leased ground in ILLINOIS and not have control over it, I HOPE NOT.

We should wait and see if SPARTA is going to be a success or not.

I would support Cardinal and Mr.Fishburn to build the HOF at Cardinal.

I bet if Mr Fishburn and OSTA started a HOF at Cardinal shooters with items on display would put the at Cardinal Center.

I know the late Bud McKinley said his items will not be moved to Sparta before he died.

The trap shooting center is less than 500 miles from Vandalia Ohio.

We should honor the shooters from Dayton Area and keep the HOF in Ohio

Brad you could not have said it any clearer, I don't know where Karla went shopping, It was always the Grand that is in the Dayton Daily News.

I encourage all shooters with a display in the HOF remove it before it goes to Sparta.

Dedicate it to a HOF in Ohio at Cardinal Center.

I vote for the HOF to be built at CARDINAL CENTER, and BIG DON as far as I know you don't have anything displayed in the HOF.

Is Bud McKinley's items being removed from the HOF if it moves according to his wishes?.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
american trap shooting ata building in vandalia
britt robertson trapshooter
missouri trapshooter association hall of fame
pita trapshooters hall of fame
roy a tiegs
roy a tiegs trapshooter

trapshooting hall of fam