1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting Hall of Fame coming to Sparta

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    BY LES WINKELER, The Southern

The National Trapshooting Hall of Fame’s board of directors approved a move to Sparta three years ago.

Now, the picture is coming into clearer focus. The museum, which hopefully will be open by the 2014 Grand American Championships, will be located at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex.

“We voted three years ago to move to Sparta,” said Jim Bradford, chairman of the National Trapshooting Hall of Fame’s board of directors. “We’ve affirmed it on several occasions. As far as Sparta was concerned, it was whether or not we were going to be downtown. We are going to be at the facility.”

Bradford is happy with the decision to locate the museum at the World Shooting and Recreational Complex.

“I’ve always been a proponent of that,” he said. “I believe the museum should accompany the Grand American.”

The exact location of the museum is still up in the air.

“We haven’t decided that,” Bradford said. “Ideally, it will be just west of the Events Center, but we haven’t cleared that with the State of Illinois. The spot we have chosen, we do hope the state acquiesces on.”

No date has been set for a groundbreaking. The Hall of Fame and IDNR still have to hammer out several items, not the least of which is the exact location.

“I don’t want to comment on that at this time,” Bradford said. “I think that would be presumptuous with the State of Illinois. Ideally, we would occupy that building at the Grand American in 2014.”

The current museum, in Vandalia, Ohio, is only open by appointment at this time. The process of packing will begin next month.

“The moving van is coming Sept. 17,” Bradford said. “The moving people will pack and wrap and crate everything. Everything we have is being stored at a bonded, insured, climate-controlled facility.

“We have about 90 guns in our inventory. They are going to the NRA Museum in Washington, D.C.

Packing will be a painstaking process.

“That’s a monumental deal,” Bradford said. “They are sending five employees over four days. There is lots of fragile stuff. This company we’ve selected has moved museums and art centers.”

The storage contract is for two years.

“That puts the onus on us to get the deal done,” Bradford said. “Everything is falling into place, but it’s a little slower than I wanted. We were holding off on the IDNR and ATA signing an extension.”

The ATA agreed on a 10-year extension with IDNR last year.

The 2012 Grand American will conclude Saturday.
  2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Northampton PA
    Fragile stuff requires a strong building in Illinois as evidenced by this year's storm!!
  3. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I will be relieved when Mr. Bradford and the BOD can get the IDNR to transfer the property over to the THOF so the new complex is not built on leased land.

Still support whatever they decide, as the Museum is a show of trapshooting history we cannot loose.

PS: Has there been a new BOT member been selected to replace the late H. Lynn Parsons ?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooting hall of fame sparta