1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting & gun purchase cause marital problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    We have had fantastic weather here in Milwaukee this past week. One night after school, I went to an area gun club and ran into a friend of mine. He told me that his wife has had enough of his trapshooting and him purchasing guns.

His wife told him she's sick of him being at the gun club so often, and that he spends way to much money on purchasing guns. She had him sign a paper promising her that he only go shooting one time per week and no more gun purchases.

He asked me what I thought about his situation? I told him it doesn't matter what I thought, as he has to live with her. I told him a two stories about a couple other friends of mine that were also in a similar situation as his.

I told him trapshooting can be addictive, and nothing that is addictive is usually good for a man and his family. Moderation, might help. One guy I knew was told that if he ever purchased another gun his wife would file for divorce. She had him sign a paper and she than dropped him off at the Wisconsin state trap shoot.

A few minutes later, he purchased a used Remington 3200 trap gun. He drove back to his house, and did a low crawl to his basement window and slid his gun into the basement. As he was crawling into the basement his 20 year old daughter caught him.

His daughter wanted $20.00 not to tell her mother so he paid her. She than told his wife and I did not see him for the rest of the shoot. He said she almost filed for a divorce and he had to really watch it for now on as she was very serious about it.

Another friend's wife got so fed up seeing the UPS man deliver shotguns to his house that one day she told UPS that her husband passed away the day before and she would not take the gun he was delivering. Long story short, they divorced shortly afterwards mostly due to his shooting and gun purchases, plus other problems.

Have any of you known anyone that shooting and gun purchases have caused marital problems?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Addictions come in many forms, none of which are good for a marriage.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Another friend...

And another friend...

And another friend...

Seriously, I need to get a moonlight job as a paralegal to all these women whose husbands are "signing papers."

4. warren

warren Member

That's just a sympton of other problems if it wasn't that it would be something else.

warren

5. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Guys,always remember the story about the newlyweds---No --ok here goes---Just married and on that night in the Honeymoon suite guy takes off he pants and tells New wife to put them on, she does and says "Honey" i can't wear these they are too "BIG". He replies "That's right and don't foget it.!!New wife pulls off her panties and says "Honey" put these on, he trys but can NOT get in them and says "Honey" i can't GET in these NEW wife replies "That's right and you want until you change your attitude" just saying!!!! joe90t

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

buzz-gun: That's funny, I was thinking the same exact thing. Tonight I think I'm gonna have my wife sign some papers, LOL.

-Gary

7. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Better take up golf. EH.

Compromise

Joe Woods/Ontario

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love my wife dearly and she and I are truely best friends but - If she ever told me what I can or cannot do I would be single fast and she would do the same if I tried to run her life.. Fortunately she loves to go to the gun club as much as I. I have no other hobbies except fishing and golf and those take a back seat to shooting

9. senior smoke

A real close friend of mine had a wife that wanted him to quit hunting and trapshooting to spend more time with her. He offered to take her hunting and fishing and she said no to his offer.

She told him she did not like being alone all the time. He asked her why did she marry him knowing full well what he liked doing in his spare time? She said I thought I could change you. Sorry to say they divorced shortly afterwards.
    Steve

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

My wife said, "If another dog comes in to this house, I'm leaving". Now where can you get such a deal?

ps Every word is true. I got several more dogs after this but she is still here - last time I looked.

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Well,I Bass fish and have seen the same thing there,when someone becomes obsessed with a sport,game,function and does not keep it under control.Yes it can cause marital problems.Just like worhoholics,achoholics,etc.The mind is a mysterious thing,if it becomes obsessed with any particuliar thing problems will rise up.I also got into trap 3yrs ago.Wife does worry that I may become a hoarder in it also_One shed I have has been called a tackle shop by some very accomplished Bass fisherman.Wife is concerned I may do the same in trap.So far,only one loader,one Sporting clay gun,and a Bt 99 I'm trying out.Time will tell.I took up trap to curb my seriousness in Bass fishing.Trap,I like to say,is for me to relax and have fun.Oh,I do have golf clubs,but I'm an absolute hacker when it comes to Golf. And as far as I'm concerned,it's too expensive.I feel if one is getting too obsessed with a sport,try another one just to get a change of pace.Works for me.

Doug H.

12. MR870

MR870 Member

My wife almost left me one time after getting home from a two day shoot.I went in unloaded my pockets on the dresser while going to take a shower.Ten minutes later when I came into the bedroom my wife was she was sobbing hysterically on the bed.I asked what was wrong and she showed me my wallet with the impression circle on the outside of it.You guys know like the one when younger you carried a rubber in your wallet.How could you?Why? Was the questions.She then informed me that she was leaving me.I calmly reached over and took my wallet and opened it up to show her the o ring for my Remington 1100.I told her I always carried a spare while shooting in case it ever breaks.Her reply was well you shoot too much anyway!

13. oz

oz Active Member

WHINERS.... My wife has bought guns for herself. First she bought ME a .220 swift for christmas. Her first gun was a .357 magnum. Her first shotgun was a $1,000 sporting clays shotgun Then a $12,000 sporting clays shotgun. I would not complain, that's what we do for fun. She also has a $3,000 trap gun and a sxs 12 gauge (just for fun). we both brought our 3 boys up shooting, mostly handguns and some rifle. You guys need some attitude adjustment. oz

14. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I have had this conversation several times over my 33 year marriage. She still don't like my shooting, even though I have not fired at a single trap target for about 5 years now. I still own pistols and shoot them from time to time. She don't understand the concept of having more than one lol. And yes, I have told her the old saying two is one and one is none. I have always told her that I have been a shooter since I was 7 years old and the good lord willing and the creek don't rise, I always will be. Ya just gotta make them understand. You also can't change somebody else, especially if they don't want to change. I love my wife but if it came to her or guns, the guns have an upper hand. John

15. senior smoke

MR870:
    Glad you could prove that you had that spare part.
    Steve

oz:
    Your a lucky man that your wife enjoys the same sport that you do.
    Steve

16. senior smoke

John:
    Make sure your wife does not see this thread with your response.
    Steve

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

An old timer that has since passed away used to tell that he was once engaged to a lady that informed him she "didn't like guns and wouldn't have one in her house" He thought about it and never married. Bright old bachelor, I would say.

Big Jack

18. APrice

APrice Active Member

I have to wonder if it's possible to become addicted to making up BS to post on internet forums.

19. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Aprice, yes, I think it is. Case in point, Mrskeet.

20. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Aprice, yes, I think it is. Case in point, Mrskeet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.