1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting for Sporting Clays practice...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chuckles, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chuckles

chuckles Member

Just read a really good article in this months Sporting Clays magazine by Connie Mako Miller...

The article goes on to explain how one of the best SC practice procedures is to shoot a lot of Trap with emphasis on the hard right and left crossers from Station 1 and 5...quartering away crossers at up to 50+yds...one of the hardest shots in SC.

Also notes the difference in Focus and attention where SC is 6 to 8 birds and on thru the woods to another station while Trap is "Staying Focused" for 25 shots or birds....

Mentions some great Clays shooters like Jon Kruger and Dan Carlysle who started out as Trap shooters and still shoot Trap for practice...

My Point...?

Trap is good, Trap is fun, Trap makes one a better all around shooter....

regards

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And, if there's one game even shot socially or for recreation that serves to improve the other games, it's Skeet. Like it or not.....Bob Dodd

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

To bad trap doesn't really have a hard right or hard left that is screamingly fast but instead a gentle left and right lobbing out into the field type of target instead.

If you want truly good sporting clay practice find your self some Olympic skeet and Olympic trap but a good cranked up wobbly trap set for wide and fast targets would be good as an alternative.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

It's ALL good crosstraining! Specialization is for insects. If you see a target, know how to break the target.

Sporting is using more trap type shots. Why not? Sporting should use every tool in the toolbox.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

There is a good reason for all the trap type targets in sporting clays. Placing traps close to where the shooting boxes are makes it easier to load, service and change the traps - and, of course, you have to set those traps to throw the target away from the shooter. If you're adept at picking off a rising going away target quickly, that gives you a big advantage.

I like to go out to a trap to practice by myself and set up way off on one side as far back as the cord will reach. That gives me something between a long quartering target and a long crosser - depending on what the trap throws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.