1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting eye injury??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CalamitySJ, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

A question to our fellow trapshooters:

Today Coach and I spent 5 hours in the ER after he woke up barely able to see out of one eye with pain increasing throughout the day. Believe it or not, his vision was so bad he didn't even shoot today. He had Lasik 3 months ago and his vision is still not 100%, but this was different.

The doc told him he has a corneal ulcer. With the dye and under the black light it looks like a skinned knee would look, but on your eyeball. Coach doesn't know how it happened, but the two suspect incidents are as follows: 1) he shot 125 rounds Thursday night without glasses as he forgot them at home (possible gunpowder burns?) and 2) he coached 40 or so women for Ladies Day and his face was to the right of every firing (probably 150 or more shots), however he did have his shooting glasses on.

Have any of you ever experienced an injury like this? Thanks in advance for your help trying to figure out how this happened so we can prevent it in the future.

Mark and Sally

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Better safe than sorry. HMB

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Good rule is to have an extra pair of glasses in your gun case. If you forget your gun case you generally can't shoot. Works for me. I'm 100% a believer in shooting with glasses on as you have only 2 eyes (1 dominant shooting eye); even more important than your test-cles. BT-100dc

4. philk

philk Member

Are you saying it is in the rule book I have to have glasses on? So in a shootoff in the rain I take off my glasses and shoot I can be disqualified ???

5. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

A corneal ulcer is an infectious process, not an injury. Although an injury could lead to an ulcer. The ulcer is typically caused by a bacteria and is likely not related to shooting unless he for sure had an abrasion during shooting from whatever means. Other causes possible, dry eye and many others. A corneal abrasion also hurts badly but is the result of an injury (scratch to the eye). An ulcer is more serious and requires strong antibiotic therapy. john

6. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

philk

IV, I, 16: "All persons including competitors, referee/scorers, and trap
    personnel must wear appropriate eye and hearing protection while on
    the trap field. Failure to comply may result in disqualification."

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: So in a shootoff in the rain I take off my glasses and shoot I can be disqualified ???

Yes.

If I remember correctly, they are not required in Olympic type shooting.

8. philk

philk Member

dam.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I recently developed a corneal weakening that the dr said was caused by the thinning of my cornea by lasix...he also said the thinning and weakening is a prime cause of a corneal ulcer....I know what you are going through

10. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Coach--get well soon!!! To the others, yes wear the glasses even if it is raining. Stuff that can get in your eye dosn't know it raining.

I had a sobering thing happen to me once and I had on glasses with side shields. I was working in my hobby shop, grinding some steel and a sliver got in my eye. It was Friday afternoon late so I did not got to a doctor. By Monday, after two sleepless nights, I went to see an optomotrist. He looked in my eye and made a bad face. He had his assistant hold my face, in his words perfectly still, while he GROUND it out. That's right, he ground it out. He told me that if steel rusts in your eye, through the wall, it will blind you and I was about a day away. Scared the heck out of me. If you have a problem GO THEN!!!
    Again--Coach, get well soon!!

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Scary story Jim....so the moral of the story...if you get a sliver in your EYE OR Trigger finger get to the Eye and Ear guys ASAP

12. wild bill JP1

wild bill JP1 TS Member

Had a mysterious trap shooting related eye injury last fall.
    I had my Decots on the entire evening of shooting.
    Doctor removed a "gas injected track/line" (that's what he called it) of powder residue from my lower left eye lid. Opened it up and used a small needle to "suction" the powder residue from just under the skin. Evidently the powder came under my glasses at just the perfect angle to hit my eyelid.

13. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Just an update--

Yes, there is no doubt that Coach should have been wearing protective glasses. Whether or not that incident had anything to do with his current injury is uncertain, but he's already got plans to use it with his students as an example of what NOT to do. For the record he never lets youth shooters participate without full eye and ear protection.

One doctor feels that his cornea has been thinned from the surgery and, due to the chronic dry eyes he's been experiencing coupled with lots of sun and possibly shooting residue, it's caused a 'worse case scenario' situation and hence, the ulcer. We'll know more tomorrow. Thanks for all your comments and support.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Coach- get well soon.

Dry eyes = low lubricant on the cornea. Both your gun and your eyes can get scratched if they don't have enough lubricant (tears). A scratched cornea or a scratch on your skin can lead to an infection.

I am convinced, but I can't explain how, that my scratched gun sometimes gets an infection and just does not shoot well. Can anyone explain the term idiopathic ferroitis?

Pat Ireland

15. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'd get a new Coach this guy is dangerous to himself and anyone he worrks with. Coaches do not shoot with out ear and eye protection he is a fool!

16. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Could the eye injury have been caused by a piece of flying K80?

17. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

A new update--

After an extensive visit to the opthamologist, it was determined that the injury to Coach's eye was most likely not shooting related at all, and a virus is suspect. Eyes which have had Lasik are, especially at first, more susceptible to problems like this. More prescription drops and a week's worth of healing and he should be good as new. Again, to those who have expressed their support and help, thank you.

18. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Two Dogs: Funny thread. Darrell

19. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Camalitsj if you foolish enough to shoot with a "Coach that doesn't practice safe proceduers thats your choice stupid as it is! As for you verbal attack your either new to the sport or ignorant. To be honest I'm shocked to hear that a club would allow anyone to shoot without proper safety equipment. Their just as foolish as your "Coach"

20. phirel

phirel TS Member

Please Bruce and CalamitySJ, lets not degenerate this thread into a name calling contest. Coach would be embarrassed if he were the topic of a threat that the moderators pulled.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.