1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting etiquette question for discussion....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by miketmx, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I always turn to the right when finished with Post 5 and most people I shoot with do the same. I would not want to bump the guy moving from Post 4 to Post 5. I think this is a specific rule in Bunker trapshooting.

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Turning to the left in Bunker is a major 'No-No...' (perhaps the same is true in politics??)

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Should. Yes. But its not the end of the world if they don't.

Its more polite to do so, and you eliminate the risk, albeit a low risk, of bumping your gun barrel with the gun barrel of the guy who is moving from 4 to 5.

Your gun muzzle should be pointed at the ground a couple feet in front of you anyway, so no risk of pointing it at the guys on the trap field to your right, right?

I try to move a step or two forward to allow the shooter from 5 to walk on the concrete walkway between stations as he goes over to 1. Then I move on to my next station.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's to avoid a collision.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Since I'm already facing right on post 5 it's only a 180 degree turn for me. Walk behind the other shooters, Empty gun broke open or bolt locked back, pointed down at the ground. Wayne

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you face the 50 yard stake instead of the trap house, your swing to a far right or lft bird will be equal.

If on post 5 you are facing the praphouse a hard l;eft would be almost a straight away, while a hardright would be and extreme swing to catch it.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

DT...

Yup...

turning around to the right... walking behind the others on the squad... toward post #1...

regards to all,

Jay

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

With me, beginners are asked to turn to the right to avoid collisions, barrel whacks, and sweeping their gun across my legs OR having an accidental discharge into the concrete which would likely ricochet into me. In registered shoots, I don't get upset over others ignoring that bit of etiquette but govern my approach carefully from then on.....Bob Dodd

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I always turn to the right, really it's only a 180* turn if you're using the correct foot position for a right handed shooter on post five.

Now......if you were a LEFT handed shooter?? Should you make a 360* turn to the right before leaving the #5 pad?

John C. Saubak

10. 3357

3357 Member

I agree with Barry,It is to avoid a gun to gun collision. Safety has little to do with it as when it is time to move all guns should be empty and open.

11. fishguts

fishguts Member

This is why I like post 1.....

Wayne

12. 700X-user

700X-user Member

I was taught to turn my body clockwise when I leave for station 1. I taught my 4-H kids the same way. Just common courtesy in my mind.

I shot caps at Elysburg one year and the shooter on station 5 actually walked in front of the other 4 shooters when he went to station 1. I was on station 4 at the time and I thought he was just going to move the voice release back 2 yards for me. He just kept walking down to station 1. He only did that on the first trap. I think one of the other shooters set him straight. It was hard to concentrate for a minute, I kept asking myself "Did I really see what I thought I saw?"

Ed

13. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rule Book: Section IV, I., 12:

"... In changing from one (1) post to another, the
    shooter shall not walk in front of the other competitors."

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Likes-to-shoot - What, you've never been on a practice trap with raw beginners? You've never had to stop a nimrod and educate him? I'm talking about ALL possibilities not just when shooting with experienced shooters at registered events. Yes, I've witnessed ADs into the concrete walkway, maybe not the exact situation but could the fellow leaving post 4 have the time to stop the action if were to happen? Note that I said "...beginners are asked..." but I rarely say anything to experienced registered shooters who cause me to take care......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

15. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Same subject of etiquette, different situation....(16yd)shooter to my right was raising his gun, just as I was about to call, the first time he did it, my first thought was someone was walking by me and I lowered the gun!!.....anyway, I was running them as was he, so I was torn between saying something to him and screwing him up, and maybe me too. but try as I might, I had trouble with the movement, I went to waiting extra time so he could get his movement over with, but when I delayed, he did too....finally he missed one, then 2....since he was no longer straight....going to the last field I asked him if he would do me a favor and keep his gun still for me, he was very apologetic and said he didn't even realize, and that I should have spoke up sooner, and then all was well!

my question......what would you have done? suffer in silence? Ask him right away?

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Frank C, I've had that very same experience. I finally took to dismounting and declaring to him that it was my turn to shoot and his to hold still. After a few of those, he stopped the behavior.....Bob Dodd

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If you turn to the left you will bump into the person from post 4 and break is train of thought. You could bang barrels. Go price barrels. By turnin g to the right you avoid alot of trouble.

18. Gatguy

Gatguy TS Member

What's the correct way to change posts at handicap yardage (say 20 yds) when there' snow between walkways? Is it proper to walk back to the 27 where there's a walkway or just tromp thru the snow? If every one walked back, wouldn't it slow the game down? Walking forward to the 16 would violate the rules we've just covered, so what is correct?
    Dick C.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Gatguy - wear snowboots!...;-).....Bob Dodd

20. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I have taken beginners out trap shooting and I can say we all forget what it's like to start out. It takes some time to go through the rules and the steps we go through without even thinking about. I was on a practice squad once with a father and son. Neither shot trap but the son took hunter safety (son was 16 or so).The son started walking in front of the other shooters to go from post 5 to 1. He made it past one shooter before he was told the proper way by the guy scoring. That's the first and only time I saw some one do that.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.