1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting Demons

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sigraph, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Just curious.
    I'd like to know what some of the common demons are we get at the trap range.
    I'was talking to a guy one day after a registered shoot 3 or 4 of us were talking about trapshooting slumps. The guy I was talking to said he got into a slump where he missed the first bird out of the trap house and it took him a long time to get over it.

I missed my first bird out of the traphouse about the next 3 shoots.
    I'll never forget that.

I remember joking with him later wishing he'd never said that.

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My demons was when a friend said that if the gun fit is right "you should see a figure 8 between the center and front beads'. I started lookink for the figure 8 and couldn't hit a target. I stopped looking and things were fine once again.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If you live right....nobody can mess with your Karma.

'cept your ex...

Curt

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

The only demon is you.

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

It's Bush's fault. No, that can't be right, must be Obamby's fault now.

6. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Bruce, I too was told to look for the "figure 8" I was doing this, with mediocre scores, for years. I did not know any different untill last month when someone at the range wanted me to try his gun, I said, "I cant, I see some of the rib between the beeds, they do not show up as a figure 8", he looked at me like I had 4 heads. I then broke every bird with his gun.

My father in law got in a slump when someone started talking about not flinching... you can guess what he started doing...

7. Picabo 12

Picabo 12 TS Member

Now I know why I have been in a slump for two year's It's BUSHs fault!!!!

8. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

By Demons are you reffering to the little guy thats sits on my shoulder and shouts at me on the first bird? or the 800 pound gorillia when, Im on the twenty fourth bird for the straight?
    Lou

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It only takes a couple of words to really wreck your day!

One day two guys were about to shoot off for high in handicap when one asked the other "Do you breathe in or out when you say PULL?"

Dropped his first bird thinking about,it and then got mad at himself...then it was all downhill from there!

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

And then you begin to "Cross-fire".

Cross-fire is when you know the bird should have broken and does not. and then you try harder and cross-fire again. the ahrder you try, the worse-er it gets. Ask Buzzy.

11. vatrap

vatrap Member

To dumb not to be true, I was practicing one afternoon with my sometime coach pulling for the squad and I missed a dead straightaway off of 3, we finished and came off the line and he said " You moved your gun before you ever saw the target come out".

Damned if I didn't start doing it more for a couple of weeks, started holding lower on the house and jumping at the target anticipating its appearance.

I finally broke the habit by going back to my normal hold point and focusing on the target.

12. philk

philk Member

Darn you guys, you know how many targets I`m going to miss after reading this thread.....

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ah, those pesky demons. I've had a few over the years.

I used to shoot really good on the first 75, maybe down a 1-3 birds and then drop 6-8 on the last 25. That sucked. I finally convinced myself that those birds were no different the the first 75.

And who hasn't had the last bird jitters from each and every trap.........along with the first bird jitters.

Then all of a sudden, you're dropping a bird or two from post 5. You finally get that figured out and then you start dropping them on post 1 and from there you move onto dropping the straightaways on post 3.

If it isn't one demon it's another.

But all in all, you know we must love it or we would stop coming back and find another hobby to beat ourselves over the head with. lol

All good!

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.