1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting death if we dont change

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TREE, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TREE

TREE TS Member

I have been shooting for a few years. Every where I go that has friendly shooters keeps me wanting to continue shooting; while there has been many clubs that are for the shooters of there clubs or clicks (sp) why are we pushing new shooters away with our arrigance and snotty attitudes? Say hello to everyone make new shooters welcome, give them the information they need so they know when your club is open have them assist the club with projects let them know they are welcome; or say good by to the sport we love. Encourge shooters good bad slow new whomever we need shooters look at the statistics

I hope this doesnt offend any one but I had to write this it has been on my mind

Tree

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

maybe some clubs are economically bias, Maybe some clubs if your not rolling in with your not more than 2 year old big rig disiel, 10k plus gun and several cases of flats, your mercedes or BMW. I have only been to 2 clubs where I got the snooty feel. The rest have been great. Sometimes just finding a club is dificult. membership even harder. This goes with everything, heck there is even "social elite" softball teams. That will not play with the common folk. My home club is a working mans club, all are welcome. We have several open to public days and nights. jr shooting programs, pistol, archery nights. Open to all. Membership is not a requirement. All though you do need membership is you want to enter the grounds, use the ranges, on a regular basis. Same can be said with golf clubs.

3. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

To late, started playing Golf. Shot about 10,000 registered last year and lots of practice. Golf is cheaper and I do not have to stand around waiting to shoot.

Take care,

Jim

4. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

All this gloom and doom lest we forget the last perfect storm of 76 - 80 when we had Jimmy Carter as President. Times will be tough the next few years as this country is just determined to repeat its mistakes and elect a unqualified president. We need a Ronald Regan type of leader but I do not see one at this time.

My prediction is that shooting will be off for the next 4 - 5 years but come right back once we get through this down turn.

Ronbo

5. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Tree

I visit different clubs as often as I can and I've only had one, which is in Jacksonville Fl where some members were too good to speak to you. They had their set squads and to heck with everyone else. I won't mention names but they were the exception to the rule, even for Jacksonville. Since I see them responding to threads on here I thought I would like to meet them since I was also new to trapshooting and wanted to feel like I at least knew someone(was kind of nervous about shooting my first registered birds). Oh well, such is life. I didn't shoot that day and still haven't shot registered. Jackie B.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

maclellan1911- I believe you hit on one of our major problems. We often do not really let new shooters feel welcome. We often do not include them in our between rounds discussions, which are similar to the threads on this site. A new arrival often feels inferior. They shoot a 20 with and 870 and I shoot a 25 with my K-80. They feel intimidated.

This may surprise even some on this site. At the Dixie Grand next January when I am visiting with Leo H. and John Hiter (ATA Vice President) a new class D shooter with an 870 is more than welcome to join us. Leo is an open friendly guy. I say a lot of unusual things, and John doesn't say much but he listens to everything.

Pat Ireland

7. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Is this not the same in every sport ? When you go to play pickup basket ball your the new guy and always the last one picked. You start filling it up and the next time you show up they know who you are. Baseball the same thing you bat 9th until you put a few in the seats and all of a sudden they know your name.

Is it not the same in trap shooting ? after all this is a competitive sport and new shooters have to know that.

When you go to the clubs you can you really expect to be welcomed with open arms. These shooters have been going there for years they know each other have shot with each other for years. New shooters In my opinion and I was one of them last year can not expect to break 100 like the All Americans do , or like Pat Leo or any of the shooters that have been in the game for a number of years. What it takes is you step up to the plate with your 870 break your 79's and 85's and shoot and shoot and shoot some more. Listen to the AAA's AA's A's watch how they shoot and practice practice practice.

You start breaking some good scores and all of a sudden people start talking to you. They notice your working hard to get better, not whining about somebody shooting a K-80. If your a new shooter and you work hard to shoot better they will start warming up and give you all the information you could ever want maybe more than you ever want.

You will know that you have done ok when someone invites you to shoot on their squad. Let your shotgun do your talking.

JMHO

Martin Milano # 0765881

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: I visit different clubs as often as I can and I've only had one, which is in Jacksonville Fl where some members were too good to speak to you.

In defense of Jacksonville, as no club likes to singled out for the actions of some shooters...

I only visit the club in the winter, maybe three or four times, practice and registered.

Always felt welcomed by all trap shooters at Jacksonville and never had a problem being squadded for practice or registered shoots.

Never had a problem speaking to any of the shooters during registered shoots.

9. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Trapshooting can be the friendliest place or its own worst enemy...

At the MO Fall Hdcp. during the doubles shootoff, a man and his 14 year old son from Nebraska introduced themselves to me. The son had just won a class belt buckle and both were beaming with pride. The father asked me if "that was Leo Harrison III standing by the entrance door". He said that Leo was his son's idol. I said to the son, go up to Leo and introduce yourself. The son nervously crammed 3 sticks of gum in his mouth and walked up to Leo and stuck out his hand in greeting. Leo spent the next 10 minutes talking with the two and as far as I could tell, Leo missed the doubles shootoff.

My advise is to learn to separate the good from the not-so-good. The good people in trapshooting are the best sportsmen in the world...IMO.

True story!

milt

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You been going to the wrong clubs because every club I have been to, gone to, or happened upon everyone was very friendly and tried to be helpfull in anyway they could ... Choose wisely GrassHopper and place blame where blame belong ... This and many other great come backs will be coming out in the new "Many Great Come Backs" by WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If more Clubs/Ranges offered true public access, that would force change in attitudes - which is why many ranges stay private - the 501(c)7 tax issues are there but dealing with the public requires a different mindset.

Every range/club could open for "some" public access, but dealing with a casual, recreational shooter demands more oversight/safety supervision, it requires a more congenial attitude dealing with basic questions and newbie shooter fundamentals.

People don't like change, opening shooting to the public and making the concessions to do it properly, will alienate a segment of many clubs' longtime member shooters.

However, that said, all clubs need fresh blood and we use our public access as a tool for recruiting new members, replenishing the shooters we lose to death, retirement, relocation or life style changes.

Jay

12. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Here in the middle of New England, there are few really big shooting clubs and lots of smaller clubs. It's no exaggeration to say that there are over FIFTY clubs that offer trap shooting within a 90-minute drive from my house. I have shot trap at about twelve of these small clubs in the last four years and was made to feel welcome (albeit as a customer) at each one. And at my home club, where I'm the Trap Chairman, we make it a point to learn everyone's name and treat everyone as a long-lost brother (or sister). We want them to have a good time and come back. I want my club's Trap Program to succeed.

Maclellan1911, I know you shoot somewhere near me; I'd be interested to know which two clubs were snooty to you. Can you send me a PM?

LA

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Joe, Let me clarify something, Jacksonville is a super facility and 99% of the people were very nice. It just surprised me that some that use TS.com would not be very friendly.

Martin, I don't believe scores should have anything to do with it. I've know guys that have shot for years(mostly skeet) and still shoot in the low 80's but are some of the nicest guys you will ever meet. I am out to improve myself anyway when I shoot. I realize that this is not a brag especially compared to some of the guys on here but I average in the 90's in all four guns in skeet and trap from the 16 but this should never be considered with how friendly you are to someone unless you just have your nose in the air.

I belong to a small(real small) club and when we have new people I make it a point to pull for them, help them with setup/stance, never down their gun regardless of brand and just generally make them feel welcome. I realize that this is not always possible with the big clubs. I do apoligize if anyone took it that I was downing the Jacksonville Facility and I never meant it like that. I have shot at a lot of clubs from Montgomery Al, south to Dothan Al, to Panama City and East to the coast of Georgia and had some wonderful times with a lot of super nice folks. I have learned, especially on TS.com, that shooters are the friendliest people and so willing to help you with advice or repairs. Several shooters, like LLano Bill who build and repair guns for a living have saved me hundreds of dollars with free advice. I really appreciate that and really enjoy this site as a place to meet people. Jackie B.

14. Rico46

Rico46 TS Member

I try to go out of my way to make new shooters welcome or tell them why they should join our club. Ask them to shoot with you. New shooters are always flattered when you ask them to shoot with you. Try not to get frustrated waiting and or sometimes with all the misses and remember that may have been you 5,10 and 20 years ago. Help them understand our sport, including line etiquette. Give them 20 minutes of your time to help with them with their gun fit, their stance, hold points, look points ects. The more targets they break early on the faster we get them hooked on trap.

All of us need to make a concerted effort in recruiting at least 5 shooters in 2009. Our number one nemisis is $$. If we don't continually recruit we will continue to shrink and die.

Rick

15. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I don't think the scores are as important as a willingness to improve. We all have to start somewhere. I broke plenty of 80's and had one shooter tell me you would be pretty good if you could just hit one or 2 off of 5. You can't let that deter you. You show back up next Sunday ready to shoot. I don't think as a new shooter you really can expect to be on a line with the top shooters at the club until they know your there for the right reasons. I was a new shooter I know the drill. I shot at most of the clubs in the area and it took almost a year. If you go out there listen to what they say, follow the rules, they will give you all the info you could ever want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.