1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting and motorcycles

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mikkeeh, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Does anybody ride their bikes to trapshooting events? Trying to find a good way to pack everything. Shells ride in saddlebags, best way I can figure to carry guns is in a soft breakdown case, sitting vertical on the passenger seat and strapped to the sissy bar. Any other ideas????

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have done it on my Harley. Gun in small carry golf bag upright strapped on, shells in saddle bags

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

With your gun in a hard case, Set the end of the case on the right passenger foot peg . Put a bungie around it at the sissy bar/backrest, or grab handle. Another bungie around the case and the footpeg bracket. I always add a third one diagonally also. Bungie your ammo bag to the rear seat and you are ready to go. I have done this often with several different bikes. Good Luck

4. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"With your gun in a hard case, Set the end of the case on the right passenger foot peg "

Great idea!. I have passenger floor boards....so that'll make it even easier! Thx.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

You MC people who travel with guns to a trapshoot get a tip of my cap. Concentrate to ride safely, concentrate to shoot well, and then have to ride home!! Heck, I had enough trouble riding my MC near Bridgeport years ago with a fishing rod strapped on to it and not snagging the rod when on a dirt road with trees close by. Have you considered a small, small, MC trailer sold for touring bikes?

6. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

"Have you considered a small, small, MC trailer sold for touring bikes?"

I have, but the price makes them cost prohibitive for me. A trailer and hitch assy is easily $2K or more. Looking for a simpler way.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I took this picture at a trapshoot some years ago. I have no idea who the shooter was;)

ss

ss
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Ya need a sidehack, Here's mine with my favorite trap gun. 48", 8 bore (I guess), 200 pound bronze Lantaka swivel gun, cast in Borneo about 1600ad.

Double scoop black powder, box of BBs, good from the 80 yard line, or parking lot. Not much on doubles unless True Pair, get them both with one shot! Shoots pretty flat

The bike is about 1960 version of Hitler's 1938 BMW R-71. 750cc flathead opposed twin. 22hp and will cruise all day long at 40mph. Carry two of your buddies and about 100 kg equipment.

Bill

[​IMG]

9. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

I have gone to shoots on my HD Road King. Had a luggage rack on it. Gun was in a breakdown case (metal) and did not extend much farther, side to side, than the bags. I bought a piece of rubber to put between the rack and the case to keep it from sliding and to protect the chrome. Then I bungeed it down to whatever I could hook onto. I had it on TIGHT!. For overnighters, I had a soft bag that I strapped on in front of the guncase and it made a backrest for me. Remember to even out the shells from side to side. Makes for easier handling.

You do get a few looks from your friends at the club when you role in like that!

Longest, most memorable and first trapshoot on the bike was the 4th of July shoot at Eel River Trap Club in Fortuna, CA. Home of the "Good Ol' Boys". About a couple hundred mile trip each way. All along Hwy 101, back in 1997. Some of the friendliest shooters around!

Ride Safe and Break'em all!

Gene

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My brother in law lived for a while right near the gun club, about 3/4 mile.

Used to strap the gun across the seat and come to league on his Harley.

One morning he called me, looking for an 870 stock. Turns out he went between the cars in his driveway and forgot the gun was aboard. snapped off the stock and took a couple spotlights off for good measure when he hit the ground.

Took his car the next week.

HM

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I knew a guy who just put it on a soft case and put the strap over his shoulder and went down the road. He said that cops never bothered him.

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

As stated above, I used a hard case on the luggage rack, with shooting bag on top. I occasionally would put a gun in a soft case and mount it like a saddle scabbard. One guy at our club slings his gun on the handlebars of his Harley(in a soft case). No matter what, it makes a fellow a careful rider.

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

short shucker, I think that is a picture of me back before I gained weight.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Place one end of a hard case in a saddle bag. Bungie other end to the sissy bar. Place shells in other saddle bag. Your ready to go.

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Saddlebags??? Floorboards??? On a motorcycle???

[​IMG]

Ed

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Ed, How long does it take to straighten your back out after a 9 hour ride?

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, I had no back pain even though I'm 62 and have arthritis in most of my joints. I rode 185 miles each way on I-81 to my son's college in Virginia many times - a ride that many would consider "long" on a sportbike. If you ever rode while leaning forward a little, you'd never go back to the "praying mantis" position of a cruiser, where your back is fairly straight, can't flex and takes the road's jolts right up through it. Now, most sportbikes take that forward riding position to an extreme, so they can be uncomfortable, too, because you struggle to keep you head up. Having a short neck, that was a real problem for me when I first got my Hayabusa.

My Busa had Heli-Bars (flattened the bar angle), a Genmar bar riser (made them 3/4" higher), lower (-1.5") custom-made seats, lower (-1") Buell footpegs and a higher, straighter windscreen. Equipped as such, it was very comfortable.

One of the bikes I considered was a V-Rod but I didn't even leave the H-D dealer's lot on my test ride. With my feet in front of my hands, I felt like I would fall off the back of it and was hanging on for dear life.

Ed

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ed, remember the Big Wheel most kids had?

That's the same riding position. I laugh whenever I see it.

[​IMG]

Now THIS is a riding position. (a girl, at that)

HM

19. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have a BMW K1200 GT that I would sell or trade for equal value for a Trap Gun. The GT is a 2003 Excellent shape, with 17500 miles. The value is between $7500 and $8500. Bruce (new hampshire)

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

No backrest or floorboards for me. Just a big powerful engine!

ss
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.