1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting Accident

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rustygun, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rustygun

rustygun Member

I don't know if this was at a range or just someone shooting clays in a field.

ROCKFORD, Iowa (AP) — A north central Iowa man has been injured while trap shooting.

The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reports 40-year-old Duane Richard Fisher of Rockford was hurt Friday when a shotgun discharged and hit him in the hand. He was taken to a hospital in Mason City. Deputies in Floyd County say Fisher was trap shooting northwest of Rockford when his shotgun jammed. It discharged when Fisher tried to clear it.

The Floyd County Sheriff's Office and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources are investigating the incident.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My guess would be in a field, if at a club media would have gleefully enumerated the details.

HM

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Damn release triggers.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

7&1/2 or 8s?????

5. 700X-user

700X-user Member

The only question I have is, "Why was his hand in front of the barrel?"

It doesn't matter what type of gun it is. If you never point the gun barrel in a reckless way, you will never have a problem.

It's the same thing with the Remington 700 triggers. I watched the documentary and found it interesting that nobody asked the mother why she had the gun pointed at her son when she pushed the safety off. I feel sorry for the families that have had losses, but the point remains! Don't ever point the gun and anything you don't intend to shoot, including your own hand.

Ed

6. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

700-X user.....I asked that question too. What I found was that she had the gun pointed to her side and toward her horse trailer. The gun went off and the bullet went through the trailer and hit her son who was standing on the other side of the trailer out of view. Anyway, it still wasn't a safe position to be pointing the muzzle.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

It doesnt say he shot himself

It says he injured his hand when the gun went off - as he was trying to clear it

Dont know the details but sounds funny

Insurance generally doesnt pay for gun shot wounds incurred as a result of certain activities

Gun shot wounds all have to be reported by hospitals

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

Gun safety 101, Muzzle Control

9. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

His hand may not have been in front of the muzzle. A jamed up gun can have an out of battery fire. A sudden rearward thrust of a charging handle and or debris from the shell coming out the port could injure a person. I have seen a Winchester 1200 pump gun go off out of battery. Luckily was was standing about 3 feet behind the man, neither of us were injured. In the Army, some worn out of spec M-14s would fire if you tried to slap the charging handle forward on a jamed up cartridge, ripping the operators hand up.

10. quartering

quartering Active Member

malfunction clearing 101: keep the action pointed in a safe direction.

11. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

OMGB.........Where did you get your information? This is all I could find so far.

Bill

12. quartering

quartering Active Member

probably greased his hammer and sear with triflow. bad mojo. good luck with it

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Simply an unfortunate accident. We all recognize the importance of gun safety bit is is possible for any of us to slip up and do something unsafe.

Pat Ireland

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Getting your hand in the path of a operating handle of a semiauto when it's cycling might put you in the hospital.

15. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Gene,

Can you be more specific on the types of insurance that exclude "certain activies" related to gunshot wounds from coverage?

About the only exclusion I'm aware of is that of intentional acts on a liability policy.

I know some Health Insurance policies can exclude certain things sometimes, but I wouldn't go to be point of using "generally" to describe the frequency of the occurence.

Regards from windy Madison Cty IA.

16. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Where I live, you would get in less trouble for shooting your son than shooting at a horse trailer. The Model 700 plaintiffs are a sad bunch for sure. I sympathize with their losses but will continue to criticize their gun handling. They are mostly idiots who will be compensated for their bad behavior.

17. likes-to-shoot

Where does a She and a Horse trailer come from???????????Nothing mentioned on the news or websites about a She or a Horse trailer.

18. likes-to-shoot

Oh. thanks Gary.

19. al391

al391 TS Member

The 700 has a safty problem. To unload the gun you need to take the "safty off." The company could have fixed the original problem for 5 cents a gun......and chose not to. The bean counters figured it's cheaper to payoff the injured. Bean counters were also involed in not recalling Pinto's with exploding gas tanks, chevy trucks with exploding side mounted fuel tanks. 1950's & 60's VW seats...Runaway Toyotas because of China made faulty electronics.....ETC.

I'm not in favor of putting these companies out of business due to poor management decisions.......Just put the decision makers in jail for a VERY LONG TIME.

20. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Does anybody familiar with this part of Iowa know if there is an honest to goodness public or private gun club near the 1300 block of Red Ball Lane outside of Mason City, IA.?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.