1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooters that Trap

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ebsurveyor, Sep 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Anyone know how old this trap is?

Thanks,

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Oneida Community Traps

Sewel Newhouse started making the #4 beaver trap in Oneida Co., New York in 1823. Newhouse joined forces with the Oneida Trap Company in 1848. Beaver traps produced by the new company were stamped Newhouse Oneida Community on the pan of the trap. After 1886, the company stamped the name Victor on the pan. Since the original Newhouse beaver traps, there has been little change in design except to become lighter. On average, the weight of the beaver trap has gone from five pounds to two and a half pounds. A trapper with a camp tender usually carried six traps, so weight was an important factor.

I realize your trap is not a #4 Newhouse but the company info is the same. A full picture would be nice to see. You would have to possibly get as much info from the Trap as possible and contact the Oneida Victor Company for help on an estimated date. Not near enough info for me to help. I provided Oneida's website above. Since i do not see Victor on the pan, i guess it predates when they started adding that making it at least 1886 or earlier according to the info above. My guess from what info i have. Very cool trap. They make great cabin setting decorations if nothing else but it could be worth something to a collector. You never know.

Oneida still makes fur traps today.

Hope this helps.

Info taken from "The Fur Trapper". And from the Oneida website.

3. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Thanks grntitan,

Bear traps had different pan lettering through the years. Someone (not me) that knows the lettering will know the date range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I have an original Animal Trap Company catalog from 1945. The Newhouse #50 is still listed in it. The difference between the pan markings is the 1945 traps have a cast pan (like this one) but the markings read " S NEWHOUSE ANIMAL TRAP CO LITITZ PA"

More to follow.

5. Model Number 12

As far as I can determine, Oneida Community produced traps under their own name until 1925. Sometime around then the trap business was sold to the Animal Trap Company of America in Lititz, PA. Newhouse bear traps are still being made by the Oneida Victor Co. of Euclid, Ohio.

6. maka

maka Member

As long as we are discussung various types of traps. What is good bait for wood chucks?

7. Model Number 12

I have a friend who traps woodchucks with (believe it or not) pizza. A fresh watermellon rind is my favorite bait. I eat the best part and use the rest for bait. It draws them in quick. Keep the rinds fresh by eating a piece every day and swapping out the rinds. Repeat until you're full of watermellon or you've caught all the rotten rodents.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

For the woodchucks, try some cut up apple bits. You can also try some corn still on the cob. Maybe even try some lettuce. You may catch squirrels too though. I would caution to check your States trapping laws and abide. There can be steep fines for violating fur trade laws. Just say'n............

OR

[​IMG]

9. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

Thanks M 12

I think they only used the pan type I have untill 1911, but I'm not sure.

10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Woodchucks love Kohlrabi, or cabbage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

animal trap company lititz pa