1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video

Discussion in 'Forum Information Threads' started by El Chorizo, Jun 11, 2014.

1. El Chorizo

El Chorizo Administrator Staff Member

As I'm sure you are aware we have been making changes and fixes ever since the site was converted. Many users suggestions have been implemented and we've been doing everything we can to try and improve this software and make it as good as possible. Of course it will never be a replacement or identical to the old software, but when we can make a change here to bring it close then we are doing those things.

We value every member of this site. The new guys and the veterans that have been here since the beginning. We would hate to see anyone leave because of the change, especially if you don't give it just a bit of time to see if it turns out it's not as bad as it first seems. We ask that you just give it a chance. I would never want to see such an amazing amount of knowledge gone forever.

I wanted to create this thread to serve as a 'one stop' type of help thread where people can come to get information on some of the new features, settings and tools that will make this place a better experience for our members.

@CR has taken the time to create an excellent video tutorial that will show you some of the basics. To watch the video we recommend you watch it fullscreen via Youtube.

If you would like to see another video outlining a feature or how to do something just let us know in this thread. I will update the first couple of posts in this thread with constant information updates.

Now, to discuss some of the new features that we think will be useful to you.

• Active Topics - You can see the Active Topics link in the navbar above. This view shows you 50 threads per page (total of the most recent 400 posts) - these threads are sorted by activity. If someone posts in a thread from 5 years ago it will bring it back up to the Active Topics page. This is a handy way to see anything that is happening on the forum.

• Ignore New Posts - If you hover over your username in the Navbar Area you will see a menu. Many features on this site are activated from this menu. However I want to discuss the 'Ignore New Posts' option from that menu at this time. If you use the Active Topics a lot but don't want to see classifieds posts, this menu item will allow you to ignore posts from this section from appearing in the Active Topics page or the 'New Posts' page. This essentially keeps whatever sections you select here from registering in your New Posts streams. You can of course still see threads by visiting these forums so you won't miss anything if you decide to go in there and look.

• Posts / Threads Per Page - The old system would show a ton of information on each page. We've give you the ability to bump up your posts/threads, etc. per page to up to 100 here. This isn't a replacement for the old system, and we know that. But this at least brings it a bit closer. You can do that by hovering over your username and clicking on "Preferences" and changing the default values to 100. I've also included a direct link. http://www.trapshooters.com/account/preferences

• Category View - Many users had old URL's bookmarked or cached. I believe we have this cache issue fixed but if you are getting loop errors or unable to load the home page, you need to clear your cache. The homepage at this url: http://www.trapshooters.com/ is the full forum... what many refer to as the category view. This lets you go into any category and view the threads specific to that category.

• Private Messages - The new system of course still supports Private Messages. You can use these a number of ways... you can click on the 'Inbox' icon in the Navbar to access all your private messages or send new ones. You can click on someones username and on the menu that pops up view their profile, send them a private message, etc. It is very similar to the old system except in this system you can invite more then one person into a private message. Its entirely up to you. The new system calls these 'conversations' by default but we've updated the language to refer to them as Private Messages in as many areas as possible.

• Site Gallery - Sometimes you just want a place to store your pictures and not necessarily put them into threads. We offer free photo hosting here in the Gallery. You can click on the Gallery link in the navbar and then 'create new album' to start your own collection. You can even create albums for your guns, family, dogs, etc. The system is easy to use and you can of course link these pictures into your thread posts if you wish as well. You can even upload videos to it :)

• Attachments - If you had photos on the old system they have been imported as well as Attachments. You can view them by hovering over your username in the Navbar area and clicking on 'Attachments'. You can then view all the photos you had uploaded previously or that you have uploaded as Attachments since. Direct link: http://www.trapshooters.com/account/attachments

• New Search Engine - The new search engine on the site is absolutely amazing. Please give it a try.

Those are some of the major features. There are of course a ton of minor features as well that I'll list below.
    • Shoot Scores in the Navbar
    • My Trap Scores in the Navbar
    • @Mention Feature (use the @<USERNAME> and you can mention a fellow member and they will get a notification.
    • Multiquote - Quote multiple posts and reply to those quotes in one message.
    • No more Private Message Limitations (there is no limit on the number of PM's you can have)
    • Thread Prefixes for Classifieds Posts (easily identify if it's for sale, wand to buy, sold, etc)
    • Trap / Skeet related smilies (with more to come)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    JSLP, SCO/C, Shew and 2 others thanked this.
  2. El Chorizo

Recent bugs that have been fixed / Feature Additions
    + Conversations System has been converted to "Private Message" system.
    + Join Dates have been updated to reflect the forum start date (we can't get much more accurate due to the crash on the old site).
    + Active Topics link added to bottom navbar.
    + Trapshooters.com now supports Tapatalk
    + Trapshooters.com is now in the OutdoorForums.com App (http://www.outdoorforums.com)
    + Notice added pointing to this tutorial / help thread.
    + Separated the Sticky Threads and Highlighted them with a different background color.
    + Added the ability to 'bump' a thread "to the top" using the Thread Tools.
    + A post new thread button has been added to the Active Topics page.
    + The phrase for leaving conversations now also shows Leave/Delete to make it clear.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    troutcreek, JSLP and Steve W thanked this.
  3. El Chorizo

Third post reserved for future updates.

4. El Chorizo

The tutorial thread and help thread has been posted (you are in it) - if there is something you feel needs to be added please let me know. If something needs a video as well, let us know and we'll create one.

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The screen capture is too small to be practical.

Eric

6. El Chorizo

If you full screen it on Youtube it works on my monitor.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Thanks that hint helped but you should say that to see it full screen you have to watch it on You Tube. Of course you know there will be those who will complain saying "You Tube??" How do I do that?

Eric

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I should have said to see it full screen you have to click the "You Tube" link in the lower right hand corner of the screen but since my edit function doesn't work I had to do it this way.

Eric

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Eric, the full screen option is the boxed brackets on the lower right hand corner of the video. No need to go to the Youtube website to view full screen. To exit out of full screen simply press the ESC button.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I know that & you know that. Now you have to make it easy for those who might not know that by including it in the instructions.

Eric

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Good tutorial! Eric & Bryan, I didn't know that but now I do! I just did it! :)

HAP

12. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Another question, is there a way I can see all the photos I've uploaded to TS in the old format, and choose one to post in my new post or do I have to upload the same photos every time for a new post? TIA

13. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter

Excellent thread. I see real movement here to include all user levels. I am particularly impressed with the text overview alongside the video. I compared what i know from poking around with your expert level knowledge. All users r important. Double thumbs up

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  14. ninjak

ninjak Member

this is test for time posted...

15. ninjak

ninjak Member

looks like everybody has the same join date on this thread

16. Calkidd

Hover over your sign on name and in the second column and you will see "attachments" towards the bottom. No, you don't have to re-attach every time. There is a button under your reply box " My attachments".

There is one thing that would be nice if the "my attachments" was also included when you are in the edit mode.

Steve W thanked this.
  17. Calkidd

When you see that date it was for the members who had signed on before the 2005 crash. The new system doesn't know our sign up date so it says Jan 28, 1998. It use to read Dec 31, 1969.

18. ninjak

ninjak Member

how do i set my timezone it says ii posted here 2.20 p.m and it was like 9:00 am
    AL

19. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

@ninjak Hover your cursor over your alias in the top right-hand corner.

Click on Preferences.

You can also set the number of threads per page and number of posts per page there.

20. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

how do I delete old (or any) PM's. It was real easy on the old system. But, I cannot find a way to do it with the new system. Also, How can I look at MY POST's. If I wanted to delete one of them, how would I do it?

rugermag thanked this.
Search tags for this page
cpr vidio
stoeger condor competition over & under shotgun reviews
trapshooters
trapshooters utube video

wtb sxs

xxxxnnnn