1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooters are supposed to know geometry?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

OK math dudes here's the exercise of the day. In the ATA Rule Book it says that the distance between the center points of the posts at 16 yards is supposed to be 9 feet.(I think that is supposed to be on the radius but it really doesn't say). What it also doesn't say is what the distance is at 27 yards. So, using Point B which is 16 yards from post 3, we have a triangle that has sides that are 16 yards long and a base that is about 9 feet. If one were to extend the sides another 11 yards, what is the distance between the center of the posts at on the 27 yard radius?

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

When I put all the calculations into my calculator to compute the final figure your asking about it said "error"

3. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Simple proportionality - 27/16*9 yields 15'2.25"

4. at_trap_89

at_trap_89 TS Member

I'll tell ya what. I'm going to my club later, I'll just measure it for you. (LOL)

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

But, does the 14' 7.5" work out mathmatically?

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Yes and no, it all depends on which version your using.

What version of mathematics do you currently have?

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Its not goemetry its trigonometry. (the study of triangles) The radius is the distance from the the trap machine to the firing line. The distance between the stations is an arc (segment of a circle). The easiest way of locating the 27 yard stations is to fix one end of a string at the trap machine run the string through the center of the 16 yard station and extend it to 27 yards. The reason the distance between the 27 yard stations isn't given is because it would be easy to confuse the straight line distance with the arc length and at 27 yards these two measurements differ by about 1/2 foot. At the 16 yard line the measurements are fairly similar.

If thats too much to deal with just get the plans for laying out a trap field.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Capt., I think the 14 ft 7inch figure is referenced to the front edge of the skeet pad, not the 27-yard line. I get 15.187 feet just as does Pocatello.

Neil

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

I'm not so sure, Neil...
    <center>[​IMG]</img></center>
    The dimension appears to run between the centers of the last yardage line on two adjacent runways.

Morgan

11. Neil Winston

I'm not so sure either, Capt. But where else could 14+ ft come from?

Neil

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Muskegon ... maybe it came from Muskegon Neil.

13. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

JBrooks,

The dimension between the center of the stations (on the 16 yard line) IS 9'-0". It is on a straight line, even though the arc for the 16 yard line is what is formed up in concrete. I have created a .pdf-file of computer aided designed trap field dimensions when designing our gun club here in Victoria Texas. The straight line dimension between stations on the 27 yard line IS 15'-2 1/4" and the straight line dimension on the back of the walkway (allowing for a 3' wide walkway at the 27 yard line) is 15'-9". So using the 9'-0" center to center dimension at the fron and the 15'-9" at the back (basically the 28 yard line), you could layout your field. If any of y'all would like a copy of this .pdf-file for laying out (or checking against existing fields), just let me know and I will send you a copy.

Capt. Morgan,

I also have a copy of the original drawing that the www.rangeinfo.org site gives dimensions for, but if you look really good, you will see that that dimension is for the 26 yard line. That drawing is SO old that the copy was made BEFORE the ATA went to the 27 yard line. I have read about when this was implemented, but don't want to guess because I would be wrong. You can look and see the yardage on all of the walkways and it goes to 26 yards. I have done some overlay field workups as well, but I have had to re-design some dimensions to reflect the 27 yard status from those old drawings. My drawing also shows points A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H per the drawings in the ATA rulebook about layouts for a field. I even calculated up the back 28 yard line extensions of points A and C (3'-8" from centerline of stations 1 and 5).

If I don't get something back to you before next week, it will be because I am leaving early today to run a small Fun Shoot at our club tonight, and then packing up to go to a 4-day trapshoot at the National Shooting Complex tomorrow thru Sunday. The "Kids and Clays" shoot that is in conjuction with the NSCA's "All American Target Championship" as well as NSSA's "Toni Ann Rogers" skeet shoot. There is also a cowboy action event going on at the same time. If any of yall are anywhere near San Antonio this weekend, it would be worth it to stop by and check it out.

Hope this helps,

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria Skeet and Trap Club

Victoria, Texas

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Question. What point on the Trap Machine do you measure from? I've found diffrent folks use diffrent strokes so to say. Post-2

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Center line of the house, 18" back from the front. And that is from memory of over 25 years ago since having done it. Please check and verify for your own benefit. We are not moving ours now.LOL Bob

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You measure from where the target sits on the machine. The machine should also be mounted in the house so the target is level with the walkway at 16 yards.

HM

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mike Hessong* (MH*), that was the measurement to the back of what was the 25 yard line max. Old drawing. Hap

18. Neil Winston

Post-2, none of this has anything to do with the trap machine. Point B is unrelated to the trap machine, which should only be in the house, and, in my opinion, as far forward as it will go.

Neil

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Neil, Am I close enough? I need your blessing of the house, or do I have to demolish it.LOL, Bob

20. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Mike,

I have plans that show 8'10" on a straight line that is why I assumed the 9'0" was on the radius. These same plans show 16' 5" at the back of a 4 foot walkway. These plans were drawn in 1987 and come from a trap machine dealer.

It would be a benefit if the ATA would adopt have a definitive set of plans and then make copies available for purchase.

One of the challenges in laying out a new field is that Point B needs a singular definition and then the house has to be constructed to the specifications of the trap machine model to get the target to launch from 16 yards out from post 3, from the level of post 3 and come out the middle of the house.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

geometry and trap shooting