1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooters and Goats

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jawhawker, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

This thread is for all trapshooters who own goats as well. We have the horse and trapshooter one so this is for the other people.

I personally don't own one at this time but have had a underlying need for atleast a couple years. When we first moved the wife to KS she needed a place for the horses. Found her an ole codger that let her board em. Well so happened he had goats. When growing up, great aunt who her raised my mom also had goats. Well this brought back fond memories of my childhood and obvious passion for kinship they fullfill. Also have a lady friend with them big suckers (can't remember what they are called right now). Trouble is the wife who has horses won't let me have a goat. The horses and trapshooter thread got me wondering how many trapshooters actually have lil goat buddies in their assortment of critters.

If there are any owners who appreciate the breed, please send PM's to wife asking for her allowance of my ownership :)

2. DONNE

DONNE Member

Make sure you just get nannys. The billys "STINK"! Martin , if you grew up around goats like I did, you know exactly what I'm talking about!

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I thought all Trapshooters were Old Goats?

4. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Hey, now that you mention it, where did the term "Goat Ropers" come from?

5. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I've always heard that goats and horses get along fine and in some cases its recommended that if you only have one horse, A goat is good company for it.

Roy

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The best thing about having goats around is the fact that ya always have barbeque meat available. yum yummmmmmm

GneJ

7. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I have a soft spot in my heart for goats too. We had a few when I was growing up.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Who's the Boss in that household? Put your foot down and get the darn goats.

Then promptly ask for forgiveness.

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

My aunt use to raise a couple of them for their milk. I had a couple of cousins that couldn't drink cows milk.

About two times a month she would tether them up in the front yard of the farm house, and wouldn't have to mow the grass.

Free lawn mowing and milk. Doesn't get much better than that.

Wayne

10. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

This thread is funny.:) My sister and I had a pet goat when we were very young. She was 6 and I was 5. The goat "Lulu" was a white haired nanny with short horns my sister painted with finger nail polish. Goats can become very good pets and will forage and do well in a desert location as ours did in north west New Mexico.

Getting to the question of "What's a goat roper?" That term used to be used when questioning the virility of a cowboy.:) Actually there at one time was a contest for girls in some rodeos where they got to show their roping skills . They didn't rope steers but did rope goats. When someone asked the question about being a goat roper and the person being spoken of was not a female the inquisitive one was kidding about the virility of the mentioned cowboy. I haven't heard that term for a long time but that's the way I remember it from years ago. :) Dan

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Dahaub, your pretty close. Maybe Old Cowboy ill get on here and explain from a Montana VIew.

Setterman, I know she is but still I get to have thingys to, right. I'll tell her you have a message of intent for her and to propmptly get incontact.

12. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

My daughter rodeoed in high school ,,there was a goat roping event she participated in ,I guess she was a goat roper ,,,,MX8Dave

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Goats were about the only animal we didn't have growing up in Iowa, some neighbors did and those billies could get kinda ornery. Another one that could be cantankerous was geese-- ganders always--goose only when they had a fresh "clutch" or new hatch, the goose would be very lovable and let you pet them just before they started laying in the spring. Welsh ponies could be as stubborn as a mule. Thanks for jogging my memory. Ross Puls

14. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

And they are a hell of alot cheaper too!

15. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I worked with a fella originally from deep in Mexico.

It seems his village had a festival each year, and it was an honor to raise the goat that was served at the festival.

Well, this was their families turn to raise the goat, and their father was very protective of that goat.

One day, when their father went to the village, the kids were jumping off of the barn roof, into a large stack of straw, and without knowing, the goat climbed onto the straw.

His brother jumped off and landed on the goat, breaking it's back, and killing it!

When he found out, their father was so mad, but not just for the loss of the goat, but the shame it brought on their family.

He said a replacement was found, but his father would not attend the festival, and was upset about this until his death.

Danny

16. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

One would have to surely question your need for this goat. I would have suspected that you needed it more BEFORE we were married.

17. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

At any rate...I told you that if you will only learn how to make goat cheese, you may proceed with whatever your plans for future goat ownership may be. Just keep the hoof prints off of my Mercedes, and hope that it doesn't chew on my $3600 saddle. And the goat better not be borrowing any of my liptstick...

18. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Some people say that goats keep down distemper in horses. It is a wives tale, but that would be an excuse to get a couple. Charlie Henderson

19. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I had Toggenburgs and one thing you don't have to worry about is wild animals bothering your horses. They kept every thing run off. Dogs,cats,coyotes, you name it. One other thing if their eyes roll back, you had better find a safe place. :)

Dave

20. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Wow, that was easy.

Now we expect Pictures. LOL

Rick in MT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.