1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooter needs Good Flordia Law Firm

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hogsan, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Trapshooter recently hit by trucker from Flordia. The driver, Trucking firm and Insurance company are from Miami area. The trucking company providing Insurance says the driver had been fired. The Insurance carrier (a major fleet insurer) is based in Miami and not commiting to anything. Medical and vehicle insurance are being processed through own insurance under uninsured motorist policy but medical has already exceeded limits and out of pocket expenses continue to mount. Anyone know or have experience with Law firm in Miami? A name and or phone number would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hogsan

2. mrd

mrd Member

I would call John Romano in West Palm. He is one of the best and has a national reputation.

3. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

mrd

Many thanks,

Hogsan

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Without knowing many details i would suggest you let your insurance company do all the leg work for a while and let the trucking companies insurance make the first offer as the attorney you then hire can not get any part of that offer only what is over and above the original offer. That would be my take and for all i know Florida laws may be different. I still would not rush to do anything as the settelment part may take a few years anyway. The longer you hold out the more info you will have at your disposal.

5. mrd

mrd Member

With due respect for Bad 303, based on the circumstances you report I would get my own attorney on board as quickly as possible. The insurance company has their own interests involved. Your attorney will only be looking after your interests and many times too much delay will hurt his abilities to help you.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Hogsan, Why not get a local law firm in your area if that is where the accident happened in the first place?? Your lawer should handle all the insurance paperwork and you should not have to pay out of your own pocket for anything. That is if its his fault at least. Its sad that auto accidents have to have a lawyer involved right from the get go, to get what should be comeing to you in the first place. When I had my auto accidents years ago, my doctors and hospital costs were over 3 times the limit my cars policy and all were paid or at least settled anyway, and the lawyer (1/3) and I took the full per person per accident payout on his policy as well. I had bills sent to my home for months from doctors and staff I never even heard of. I went to his office every other week and gave him all the bills and paperwork I had got. Hope this helps you out and good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

Sounds like your case is abit more involved than mine was. Mine was pretty cut and dry as it were. Yours has 3-4 major points that need to be ironed out as it were. Good Luck

7. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Pull & Mark
    Thanks much for the input but where I live and Flordia have different laws and being licensed to practice Law in Flordia is a plus. There are many factors that come into play. Interstate trucking w/o liability insurance. Driver giving a false police report about having insurance and producing something that showed he was insured. Driver issued only a ticket for running a red light that will be a mail in offense. Trucking company handling owner operator insurance deducting a fee from drivers pay then claiming he no longer works for them. Why was this truck a thousand miles from Flordia? Sightseeing? I doubt it. There is more to the story but basically the driver did not speak english and I feel the fault is a Flordia Law system issue. Just want to make sure this company does not do this to a fellow trapshooter his family or anyone else again anywhere.

Regards

Hogsan

8. hunter870

hunter870 Member

I've heard some very good things about Sharon Shade in Miami Beach. She specializes in insurance work...

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

This won't do you any good but if you were from a No-Fault auto ins. state you wouldn't be having these problems. As your Ins. Co. would be paying all your bills, especially the med. bills.

Good luck and it sounds like you need representation.

Don

10. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

Hogsan,

I had a similar problem to yours a few years ago in Florida. First, I would find out if you had multiple vehicles on your policy and if your insurance coverage is stacked. That means that every vehicle you own on the policy would include the medical insurance. That means if you own three cars with $20,000 of medical coverage they would then be equal to $60,000 of coverage here in Florida.
    Next, I would get in touch with the victim's advocate services in Florida who would help you negotiate medical bills with the hospital. Also, any large motor vehicle lawyer firms will be happy to take the case and they usually get 1/3rd of the settlement and also help eliminate some of the problems you are having now with the other insurance company. Here in Florida never deal with an insurance company on your own when there are injuries involved. You need to get a lawyer ASAP. Good luck!

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I retired from the Insurance industry and I hate to say it but you need a lawyer fast. You are in the drivers seat as the policy limit's on a fleet covered vehicle will be a lot higher in your favor than a private car and this gives you some serious bargaining power with attys. Call around. You may find one a lot cheaper. If your lawsuit has the potential to be over a million, some lawyers will take it for 16%. 25% will get it done easily but make a deal with the atty that he or she gets their % after meds are payed, not before. As far as looking for a hotshot atty, I don't feel that is as important as the fee because the jury will decide the punitive damages according to your loss of income, ( earning potential) age, loss of use etc. Lot's of factors are considered. Don't settle out of court unless your case is shakey. It may take 3 -4 years but will be worth the wait. Hospitals etc will wait if they know you have a case and even then the attys can get them to take 50% or so

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

contact the federal dept of transportation in washinton d c. also find out if the truck was loaded at the time of the accident or if it was empty. either way someone had to put a load on the truck to get it that far from home. you might contact the florida dept of transportation. you may find out quite a bit from them or the feds.in wash. d.c.. dwain

13. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Hogsan, jurisdiction of the case could be in the circuit or superior court where the accident took place or you may be able to sue the trucking company in its home county and state. You may want to consult with an attorney in both locations to determine how favorable jury verdicts are regarding personal injury cases. With this being an "interstate" trucking firm, I think the ICC requires such companies to carry about $1.5 million in liability/bodily injury insurance. I would presume both venues have a 2 year statute of limitation. Unfortunately, I don't know any attorneys in the Miami region, sorry I can't help you there.

Good luck and hoping your injuries heal well. John E.

14. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The ICC was phased out in 1986. Federal Highway Administration is the "authority" these days.

Best senario is turn it over to your insurance and have them contact the trucklines insurance carrier. That will have far more impact than you threatening them. In the unlikely event they refuse to respond favorably the insurance commissioners office in Florida would be getting an email with copies of everything from doctor bills to accident reports and a complete record of your recent nightmares about big trucks and I'd mention that flinch you've developed since the accident.

All good,
    Dave

15. Hogsan

Hogsan Member

Thanks to all loyal trapshooters who responded. My vehicle was replaced to within $800 with my Uninsured motorist coverage. I am following advice written here and am in no hurry to settle but need to protect others from going through the same thing. Flinch yes every corner and every intersection.

Thank You all again!

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.