1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshoot suggestions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Literalist, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I'm avoiding the much-discussed handicap system which currently prevents anyone from enjoying a shoot, the totally unfair singles classes which allow AAA shooters to clean up the D class, the EC whose only goal is to eliminate the sport, and the other unfair rules which cause thousands of gun men to become Democrats.

Instead, a few simple little things I'd like to see more of. Many a reflection of when I started shooting in 1964:

1. More Saturday shoots. It's nice to have Sunday morning at home.

2. Return to my early shooting days in the 1960s when most shooters wore a name tag or had their name sewn on their shooting vest.

3. Add a long run option for 2-bucks...especially at small shoots. Most would kick in that small amount and on a windy day, breaking the first 17 straight might pay for your shells.

4. Break for 45 minutes between singles and caps to allow a more leisurely lunch.

5. No more 100-to-a-trap. EVER!

6. Have more early (especially early)and late-season 50 bird events, 50-50-50.

7. Jack up the target price a buck and have a free lunch (see #4 above)

8. When possible, shot each 100 on 4 traps.

9. Always have 25, 50, 100 patches on hand. Newer shooters especially like them.

Any merit to these ideas?

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

2. Name tags are lame.

4. The days are long enough as it is. Sign up to shoot early in the morning and on a later squad for the second event.

7. Targets are expensive enough as they are, if you want lunch pay for it yourself.

3. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Rich 219 what are you tryingt to say BAH HUMBUG.

Dave

4. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I think name tags are great! I've wandered around for days trying to remember what some guys name was ...that I shot a few rounds with and had a great time....but couldn't remember his name and was ashamed to admit it.

I've also wandered around new clubs weeks before I got to know enough people to even warrant being there...like being at a mall.

Name tags make it easy for new members to get known ...and get to know old members.

They are even handy at class reunions...if you haven't seen classmates years.! Family reunions...classic car auctions...you name it...they make any organized gathering easier to kick off...

Targets aren't expensive at all compared to everything else...Some friggin shotguns cost as much as my first house...and on and on... Where are you going to get a lunch anyway...without some plan to organize/finance it. Bring your own Big Mac...

It's all about people with a common interest getting together anyway...and having fun. Something to eat always helps out there. Good idea in my view..Worth voting on anyway. See what the majority wants...and go with it.

All those ideas might make it FUN like in the old days. 'oft times now... old membership clubs have gone stale, it's just bang, bang, bang, bang,...did I say bang...and of course bang, bang, bang. Go home....

No wonder the sport is declining...lame agenda...fewer young people.

Just My 2 cents..

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

At the local clubs I shoot at they serve lunch and you purchase it for $4-5 dollars, you get a decent meal without spending a lot and the club puts some money in their pocket.

"Rich 219 what are you tryingt to say BAH HUMBUG.

Dave "

I'm not saying BAH HUMBUG but I am saying that every day there is a new thread on TS.com that is about how the ATA needs to change, etc.

How about if you forget the name of someone you go up and strike up a conversation and just tell them you forgot their name from the last time. Same thing as when you want to meet someone, go up and introduce yourself.

If you want to attract younger shooters to the sport why doesn't the ATA or even local clubs ask these shooters how they can attract more shooters like them.

6. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I disagree, I usesd t go to the grand and get a new shooting vest from Bill Plessinger every year and the first place after that was to have the name sewn on. It was part of a tradition. Used to be everyone was tagged. Clubs should have the patches too for new shooters that just did it for the first time in their life. Make it special for them adn you will create a lifetime memory for them.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I proposed a name tag program several years ago to be given free by White Flyer and it got lost along the way.

The free lunch is a great way to get people out of their motor homes to socialize. It works at our Indian shoots.
    bigheap_2008_030355.jpg

8. dkarre

dkarre TS Member

Im one of the "young" shooters that the ATA is trying to attract. I must say im very much in the minority. The problem with my age group (18-24) is we are either going to college or just moved out on our own and cannot afford the $30 per hundred targets. And quite honestly, the younger crowd gets very turned away by these older shooters that demand everything be done "their way or the highway" if these older shooters want to keep this sport going they need to be a little more open to encouraging these young shooters then get pissed at them if they don't do things the way it was done in the 60's. Granted that is just my opinion based on my experiences and not everybody is that way.

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Saturdays are great... I'm actually surprised how many ranges are open Sunday AMs... we're a Sunday PM operation, originally because of churches...

Name badges... maybe we could learn something from SASS... would ATA Members who shoot, wearing a badge or pin on their vest/pouch to identify themselves to the scorekeeper be so bad?!... yes, we have an embossed membership card... how about a badge holder to go with it?!

Lunches... everyone's appetite is different, some have diet restrictions... not a fan of pre-paid lunch... maybe a couple bucks for free coffee and/or iced bottled water...

Small ranges may not have four traps... we're lucky to have 2 available.

Patches... clubs could pay an annual membership fee ($25?!) and the ATA could provide an order form request along with the renewal fee for a limited number of "free" 25,50 and 75 straight patches (25?! - club's choice) - ATA clubs would provide these to those who earn at registered events only... 100s upon scores receipt, would be mailed to the ATA member from ATA FREE... extra club patches above 1st 25 would require a nominal fee ($1 ea?)...

Patches are good loss leader promoting ATA targets... clubs would appreciate having them, shooters winning them... and a nominal registration fee doesn't break the bank... buying a 1000+ patches keeps the price point low/patch...

Adding my $0.02,

Jay

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shoot 100 singles and 100 doubles, get rid of handicap. That way you could be home in time for dinner. HMB

11. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

When I staring shooting their was an older lady that sat at a small table in front of the Florida building, with a sewing machine, at Vandalia and sowed your name tag on your new vest. I remember her selling cigars and tobacco too. I think her first name was Mary, but might be wrong, I'm one of those that apreciate a name tag.

Literalist I think you are on the wright track, but I'm afraid the train has already left the station and derailed around the last curve. Brad

12. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

One thing I've found, no one ever complains about finishing early. They do complain about starting early. (8:30am) Average shoot attendence is 50+.

When shooting 100 to a field, (we have 4) you start 4 squads all at once. If you shoot 25 on 4 fields you automatically lose just over an hour of daylight by only starting 1 squad and having 3 others standing around waiting to start.

Name tags make it a little more friendly.

Target prices are too high already. (ATA $26/100)

On hot summer days we do usually take a 30 minute lunch break to get all the
    shooters and help into the cool clubhouse.

JMO.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Daddiiooooo: Isn't it strange how we can never get a squad #1 or 2 or 3 in the morning, yet everybody wants to get done early. And then those on squad 4 are surprised when their squad "becomes" the 1st squad out, holy sh@#$%^^& if I wanted to be on the 1st squad I'd have signed up there.--GRIN--Ross Puls

14. daddiooo

AMEN to that brother!

15. trufan

trufan Member

When you shoot a 100 per field and you have 4 fields, I understand the part about starting 4 squads instead of 1 but what about the "odd" squad or 2 at the end. I guess if you didn't want to wait to see if you did any good you could just leave, but otherwise the same 30-45 minutes you would wait to get started is just added at the end. If you have a multiple of 4 squads it would be great, but how often does that happen? What about the people that complain that "that squad" got the good background while we had to shoot down on the end where you have all the distractions! Just my .02.

16. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Quote:
    How about if you forget the name of someone you go up and strike up a conversation and just tell them you forgot their name from the last time. Same thing as when you want to meet someone, go up and introduce yourself.

I think every mature adult has had to do that...at least once! It's when yo have a brain cramp and can't remember the name "again" that gets annoying. To both parties..!

...and if you have relocated and are new member...then remembering a lot of names is especially challenging. May be right on the tip of your tongue...but just not there.

Maybe I'm the only one that has had trouble remembering names always though...to say nothing of now ??

It would be club rule if I had my way...heh heh,ha ha haah!

Wait...NOW I REMEMBER!...that's called LOL..heh heh!

Stan..

17. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

I am one of the older shooters and I do have my name on my vest. I also go back beyond the 60's and see nothing wrong with the 50's and the 60's except the slow pulls but we learned to shoot them. Every small club had a ford purse and almost everyone played it. The two things that always bothered me was: #1 good shooters turning down birds #2 signing up on two squads so if the conditions wasn't right they would wait for the other squad. That usually left a short squad. To the young people that are complaining about money, it wasn't any different then than it is now. I was a young man at that time and was faced with the same problems you have today. Money is the reason a lot of good shots never made the All American Team.

Dave

18. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Sport coat and tie when shooting like the old days.

19. daddiooo

"Odd squad" situations cannot be helped or controlled. Our backgrounds don't vary too much and we draw out of the hat for starting field assignments.

As for waiting at the end, your handicap score will generally tell you if you need to wait around or not. (low 80's, slam that trunk lid and go home.) We can't please everybody, but we strive to make it fair and equitable for all.
    Folks that don't agree with the way we run ours are certainly welcome to step up and help run the shoot. We recently signed up with Presquad.com to ease the long line in the clubhouse in the mornings. There is no charge for this service to our shooters.

Our consistant average of 50+ attendence tells me that we must be doing something right. (although we consider any and all positive suggestions to make improvements)

Respectfully submitted.

Dave

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Denny,
    I, personally, think the ATA and the PITA should make name tags mandatory. Name badges... maybe we could learn something from SASS... would ATA/PITA Members who shoot, wearing a badge or pin on their vest/pouch to identify themselves to the scorekeeper be so bad?!... yes, we have an embossed membership card... how about a badge holder to go with it?!

There is nothing more satisfying than to have someone you don't know look at your name tag and greet you with a "Hello Denny", how you doing? Don't recognized him? Look at his tag and reply with a good morning "Fred", nice to see you this morning........ Good luck to you too. I would also like to see the shooters home club on that name tag so we can all put a name with a face and a location, should we be fortunate enough to shoot their home club. There is a name for this kind of thing: Courtesy and mutual respect for each other. How can we return trapshooting to the days when it truely was a gentlemanly, family affair when we don't even know who we are shooting with? A very small thing like this would add a warm and fuzzy feeling to the sport. Your name tag could be a part of your membership and issued with your new renewal....

I also agree with the 25, 50, 75, 100 straight patches and pins. Once again, I think this practice should be mandatory and that one of each of these pins should be mounted in a frame and posted near the cashiers window, for everyone to view and see what they could have if they do the deed. If they do accomplish the feat, a big deal should be made, over the loudspeaker, acknowledging the shooter good shooting. Not a big deal, but will go a long way to restore the closeness of the community.

I feel that the trophy awards ceremony should be the last thing done before serving dinner, and all shooters should be in attendence to cheer on the winners. The best time for these awards ceremonies seems to be just before the calcutta, before the bar is opened. The greatest feeling I ever had was for winning a preliminary handicap at the Calif. State Shoot, in 1992. I reveived congratulations from ALL the big guns in attendence, and I finally felt like I belonged to the trapshooting fraternity.

While there are several more things that can, and should be done, this is an easy way to begin the Dick Baldwins "Road To Yesterday". journey... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content