1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trapping bobcat/fox ????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fairchildsales, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fairchildsales

fairchildsales TS Member

Wanting to trap bobcat and fox this winter any advice on what kind of traps,bait, or anything related would be appreciated. We are in sw Missouri. Thanks --martha

2. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Here in Penna. we have to check our traps within every 24 hours. and can only use 1 1/2 coil traps. We use to gather the used hulls from walnuts that laid on the ground, boil them and set our traps in them for dying. We not only waxed our traps but made what we called water proof dirt for the wet weather.
    We'd heat up dirt on a cookie sheet, when it got warm we'd mix it with wax to caot the dirt. It worked pretty well, but there was a fine line and one cant burn the dirt. The fox are very cautious and smell everything.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    In Oregon, you have to have classroom instruction and complete the course successfully before being issued a furtakers license for trapping. The classroom instruction is not needed for a furtakers license for hunting only. I have on the latter licenses, since I don't trap. This license is not the same as a general hunting license, which you still need for non-furbearers.

4. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Fairchildsales,Get a good book on snaring,it's a lot easier than leg hold traps,no boiling,no coloring,no lures to fool with,and if you set them right they will pretty much catch the animal you are after only.I live in New Jersey and I pretty much set deer trails and fence crawl unders,pretty hard to keep fox out of them.Also they are a lot cheeper than leg holds{about 1.00 each].Give it a try.

5. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Most important thing to remember is to set the trap where a Fox will travel. 1 3/4 coilsprings will hold any Fox, Coon, Coyote or Bobcat out there. Boil your traps to remove any grease and contaminant before dyeing and waxing. Forget the nonsense about human scent at your set and forego the gloves. Buy a good gland lure and forget the bait and urine. Trust me, after an hour or two on the trapline you'll smell more like your target animal than him.

Next attend trapper education classes and purchase a few books or videos on trapping predators. Be prepared to have a lot of fun and say hello to Elmer!!

6. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Dawg,What's a city dude like you know about trapping???

7. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

I know that a trap is "working" for You 24/7 but have You ever called in fox or bobcat?? It's quite exciting and a bit more humane for the quarry as well. I'm NOT trying to start a pissin' match regarding trapping with that statement.

FN

8. fairchildsales

fairchildsales TS Member

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I have a lot to learn. I have ordered some cds for calling but have not got to try them out yet. When is the best time to try and call animals in--am/pm? --martha

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Ottoman, after hundreds of Foxes, Coyotes, Coons, 'possums, Skunks, many others and thousands of Muskrats-nothing!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.