1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traphouse Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Mostly just a curiosity thing:

Rulebook Section XIII, B TRAPHOUSES says:

"It is recommended that the throwing surface (throwing arm or plate) of the trap machine be on the same level as that of Post 3 and the target height setting pad."

Since this is not a rule, per se, but a recommendation, I assume there is some margin for variation here.

BUT, if, for example, a club wanted to mount their machine, say, a foot or more lower than the recommendation, would that:

1. Be a violation of the rules?

2. Would a machine mounted lower, and set based on target speed (not target distance) and set for target height as specified in the rule book, throw "softer" targets than one mounted as stated above in the recommendation.

Or would it make no discernible difference?

Note, I have no knowledge of anyone doing this, anywhere. I believe our club's machines are mounted more or less in accordance with the rules.

Just thinking out loud, so to speak.

Tim

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

A trap machine mounted too low will throw targets with more face showing. This would increase wind resistance and cause the target to lose speed faster. The target distance would be reduced, but I am not sure that it would be reduced very much. The targets would be more suseptable to wind deflection but they would look very nice on a calm day.

Pat Ireland

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pat- Yes, a taller shooter will see more target face. A shooter who is six inches tall would only see the rim. But that shooter would also have some other difficulties. Differences between 4 feet tall and 6 feet tall are very slight, but there would be an insignificant difference.

Pat Ireland

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The funniest part of that section of the Rule Book is at the end after it talks about all the specifications for a new field is where it says basically, "What the hell, build it like your existing fields so they are all the same."

6. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

A house with a trap mounted too low will tend to throw a target out of the side of the house instead of from under the roof.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If the trap plate is set a foot low or a foot high, it makes a big difference in bird elevations after it passes the 10 yard setting. A foot low would have extremely higher birds at normal breaking distances because of the angle change. Opposite for a foot higher mounted plate. Guidelines say close is good enuff. Hap

9. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

Far be it for me to stir up a pot, but this was a point I tried to bring across in this post several days ago.

http://trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/sthread.cfm?ThreadID=151557

As you should be able to determine from this thread I had no clue what I was talking about. You should also come to the same conclusion from what you read and determined.

My determination of the Rule book combined with the book for the machine and your opinion seem to be the same. But far be it for us to make an intelligent determination of the "guidelines" the rule book suggests.

Just don't use "battery" in any description!

eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.