1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapguns driven over state lines......

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by powderburn, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hey there,
    I am going on a trip to Fla. in June, and was wondering if there are any laws about transporting trap or skeet guns across state lines? I don't think there are any, but just wondered if any of you know about this? I know there are some laws about handguns/permits/ etc. that vary from state-to-state, but don't know about shotguns. Please help if you know of anything. We'll probably be taking I75 most of the way. Thanks!! -powderburn

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

It shouldn't be a problem unless you live in Chicago.

Steve

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

It all depends upon how old she is....

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Technically, 10, 12, 16, 20 & 28 ga shotguns are Destructive Devices under the 1934 National Firearms Act addendum added when the 1968 Gun Control Act was passed. Under the 1934 National Firearms Act, any firearm falling under this act must have written federal permission to cross state lines.<br>
    <br>
    Fortunately, for now, "sporting" shotguns have been declared to be exempt by a federal bureaucrat. Such exemption can be revoked at any time at a whim without a vote of congress. Attempts have already been made to get the feds to withdraw the exemption for some shotguns, and most of those petitioned had their exemption withdrawn.<br>
    <br>
    Right now, you are OK from a federal standpoint. Let's hope it continues to remain so.<br>
    <br>
    Also, the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 *SUPPOSEDLY* protects you when traveling from one state through an anti-gun state to a state beyond where you are hunting or competing. I would really like proof that this act actually works, particularly in New York City and Chicago. This act was "purchased" by the NRA rolling over on machinegun owners and collectors. I would hate to think that they didn't get their moneys worth.

5. powderburn

powderburn Member

Thanks for the info Brian. We're from Indy, so it'll be a pretty long trip. This trip is with the inlaws, and they are the ones that were wondering. As long as the guns are cased up, I wouldn't think it to be a problem. We are going to Orlando, and I hope to get some shooting and golfing done when we are down there. Any suggestions on trap clubs in that area? I think we'll have a golf course right on the hotel premises, so that'll be a snap.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Will you be the only one shooting?

Just something to think about but since it was your in-laws wondering about the legalities of transporting a gun it might just be a subliminal signal that your not receiving in regards to they dont want you to take it and the first time you go and try to shoot someplace while on vacation with them your going to be slimey Indiana scum mud and they ... well ... leave the gun at home and spend some quality time with your wife and her parents.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It's not a problem in Chicago as long as you don't get caught.

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

You can Golf and Shoot at the Silver Dollar Odessa Florida.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have never had a problem but just in case you may want to take a few targets and a hand trap with you. If questioned, you could set up your gun and shoot a few targets on the side of the road to demonstrate hoe the guns are used. If you do this, do not throw the targets into the traffic lanes.

Pat Ireland

10. Brian in Oregon

Uh, well, hate to rain on your parade Pat, but in Oregon you can't shoot from the road shoulder. You would get a citation for that. It's considered part of the law about shooting across a road. And you can't step onto the adjoining property with a gun. That would be trespassing with a firearm, which is a felony.<br>
    <br>
    You might be better off just putting a box of Krispy Kremes in the trunk.

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Think Pat was joking but if he wasn't here in Washington state you have to be so many feet from any hyway. (I can't remember the exact distanc) It's also against the law to shoot anywhere in KING county execpt gun clubs, shooting ranges Public hunting area etc.

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Well.........I wouldn't stick the barrels out the window while driving down the road.........

But if they are cased and in your trunk, I don't forsee a problem.

Hauxfan!

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Avoid school zones. Do not park near one. Do not even think of parking near one. Having an out of town license plate is a target painted on your butt.

All you need is one hard case frustrated constable and you can have a world of hurt.

Just make sure the motel and restaurants are not near schools.

Better safe than sorry. You will get different opinions here, and this is mine.

HM

14. Brian in Oregon

Thank goodness I live in a state where I can toss my short barreled Winchester Model 24 on the dash. At least in Free Eastern Oregon (as opposed to Liberal Occupied Western Oregon). Gas station attendants in Free Eastern Oregon don't pay any attention to it. It's like a 30-30 in a pickup rack.

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am really confused. If you can't shoot from a road side, how is it possible to take care of the groundhogs and hawks in the median of an interstate? Of course, you should never shoot toward the State Police cars that park in the median now and then. These gentlemen are taking a lunch break and should not be startled by gunfire.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.