1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRAPGUN THEFT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by obsparky, Mar 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obsparky

obsparky Member

Please be on the look out for two (2) BT-99 Brownings. Taken from my home 3/18/2013 1 is a Beavertail 1972 model ser# xxx4985, second is BT-99 Stainless with Bumpbuster adjustable ser# xxxx8nx199.
    Ilive in Sugar Land Texas. Thanks for any help.
    obsparky
    S.C. Rich

2. obsparky

obsparky Member

Unfortunatly they were not in my safe. Like a dumb ass I came home from shooting yesterday and put them in my garage, usually I bring them in to the safe, but I forgot (getting old is hell) my fault just feel violated.

3. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I hope you reported this to the authorities? Also you need to pass the word at your local pawn shops and sporting goods places that buy or trade firearms. Give them the serial numbers to keep an eye out for them.

Kevin

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Do more than just local pawn shops. Call or alert pawn shops and gun shops for a 100 mile radius. Crooks are usually dumb and will think they are safe a few hours away. Most will try and sell them fast to make a quick buck.

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Post this on the STOLEN GUN LIST right here on TS.COM!

-Gary

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

So you put them in your garage for one night, and they where stolen? Seems to me someone watched you put them in there, and didn't see you walk out with them. Any windows that you can see from your car to your garage. Or recall anyone suspicious, milling around when you put them in there? Talk to your neighbor at all? Kids outside next door, walking, or riding down the street? Cars going by? Busy road? Open Road? Was the garage door locked? Was it locked usually?

Lot of questions to ask yourself, and you may be able to figure out it was a local job, probably with someone you know, or seen in the past. It may not have been them, but they may talk to people that would. Jon

Report it to the police, so that it is known these guns where stolen. They could be used in a serious crime, and left on the scene. You have the serial numbers, that's great. If you can remember anything of the questions above, the police would be the ones to ask those people questions. The Feds. will more then likely be involved, with stolen guns.

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

A very good reminder----I have mine in a safe but not sure I have all them listed with sr#s but will do now----Thanks for the update---SJB

8. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

S.C. Rich, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of the trap guns. It's tough when you realize that this can happen the one time you let your guard down. This news can be a wake up call for all of us to be more careful. I think most of us have done something like this at least once.

A word of advice that my Mother used to tell forgetful people. If you find your cheese is slipping off your cracker, jam a toothpick through the cheese and into one of the holes in the cracker. You have to eat around it carefully but now you know what the holes are there for.

I hope you get them back or your insurance can replace them for you. Duane

9. obsparky

obsparky Member

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I have filed a report with the constabulary, the watch list in Texas for guns goes to all pawn shops in the state and is already on the wire. The deputy that investigated seems to think that it was as suggested kids because they left dozens of power tools and hand tools. Got some good prints though. I am insured but that won't pay the senitamental value of the first trapgun I bought in 1972.
    Thanks to all for your thoughts and help.
    obsparky

10. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

Only thing lower then a theif, is a theifs shoes!!!! Ive got a shotgun floating the world somewhere, stolen 13 years ago and never heard anything on it. I know who stole it but I cant prove it. I hope that you get yours back, the one I had stolen was the only gun my dad ever bought me.

11. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

Talked to an acquaintance about a kid that was at the county jail for auto theft. The kid said "It wasn't my fault, the person left the keys in the car". That's what I remembered when obsparky said "my fault" for leaving them in the garage. Nothing against you obsparky, I'm there too, it just aggravates me when you can't put something down in your own garage and expect no one to walk off with it.

Joe

12. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Sad thing is... Though your guns may get recovered, you may never get them back.

Over 25+ years ago, a close family friend had several guns stolen from his home. He pulled into his long driveway as the thieves were pulling out. He realized what had happened when he saw his home front door open and the inside ransacked. He called the police. The thieves were caught with the guns in their van less than two miles from his home. The police told my friend that they would have to hold his guns for evidence until all the legal proceedings were complete. The thieves were back on the street the same day and for some reason their trial just never came up on the docket. My friend checked every few weeks for a while, then every few months, and then once a year with the authorities about the return of his guns. The law officers and court people changed across time. A month ago we buried my friend, age 85. We had discussed this incident a couple of months before he passed away and the legal authorities were still saying that they were still holding his guns as evidence -- Winchester Model 21s, Civil War antiques, pre-War Colts, etc. Not a single "assault rifle" or bad guy gun amongst them. Years after the theft, he did see one of his guns at a gun show for sale.

This isn't the only time something like this has happened.

Hope you have better luck getting your guns back.

13. johnpe

johnpe Member

Mr. Rich,

Since you live in Sugar Land, you know that there aren't many trapshooters around Houston. I'm assuming you have contacted Charlie and the others at Metro and told them about your misfortune. I have always considered myself a trapshooter until several years ago when cross dominant eye and flinching problems encouraged me to switch to sporting clays. I'll keep a lookout for your guns and will tell a few of the other not-so-often-anymore trapshooters I know to keep an eye open. With the lack of trapshooters in Houston, I fully expect the thieves will have trouble selling them unless they move them out of the area.

Johnpe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.