1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapgun point of impact

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Stumpstalker, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stumpstalker

Stumpstalker TS Member

When i got into trap shooting eons ago, I read that you should pattern your shotgun so you knew it shot above point of aim. Does anyone know how high the pattern should be above the aiming point at 40(?) yds?

Carmine

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This could be personal taste, I got a Precision fit stock a few months ago. I set the comb to the maximum height or least amount of drop at comb. I did not pattern the gun at this adjustment, but I will say I felt like there was infinity between the barrel and the target. I have it on a XT with 1" drop at comb now. The center of my pattern is roughly 16" above fixed aim point when patterning the gun. I like this set up.

3. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Your POI setting will be determined by these factors.
    1 eye or 2
    wheres your hold point? On the house or above?
    Slow gun or fast gun?
    Call-to-shot timing..Fast? slow? Oh my God hes never gonna shoot?
    Fig 8 may work on some guns and not on others. This is the reason that fitting sessions and shooting clinics are so important. I encourage you to do both soon. Yours in shooting, Todd Nelson

4. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Its a very personal subject. You are the one that will ultimately have to discover what is correct. To start with try 9" at 13 yards and pay attention to how targets are broken. Your goal is to consistently smoke targets.

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Have someone watch you shoot straightaways from 3. Continue to adjust the comb until you ink ball every target. Now move to post 1, if you are not ink balling angles, adjust some more until you do. That tells you the gun shoots were you look. Now go find out how high it shoots at a pattern board if you want to know. My TMX shoots 90/10, my MX-10 is 100% but they shoot a little different. If pieces go up raise comb, down lower it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.