1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap with non-trap guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

First let me explain that I have shot trap for many years with a Citori Plus and quite well. Well I wore it out to where it has to be rebuilt. In the mean time I bought a SKB GC-7,unsingle, gold birds, fancy wood etc. The whole works. I can't hit crap with it. I got so frusted I got out my GTI sporting clays gun, changed tubes raised the comb and had a heck of a fun day. The only problem is it's a 28" barrel and light weight and ported. It bothered those on either side of me.

Anyone regularly use a non-trap gun for trap? Comments, opinions etc.

2. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Just change you point hold set the trap on straight aways and practice the citori and other feild guns shoot flat ,,,Just find the point of impact you can do it!!!

3. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Why would it bother the other shooters?

4. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Cause there are lots of trap snobs who:

-- dont like guns that cost less than $5000
    -- dont think brownings are good enough for competition
    -- dont like guns with out a letter k in their name
    -- think sporting guns are for weekend sissies who hunt fowl not real men who shoot little clay disks...LOL!

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Why would you make a degrading stupid comment like that, SilverShooter? Snobs come in all flavors not just K. Looks like you need a new club to shoot at or new paople to shoot with. Maybe your the snob and no one wants to shoot with you. At least it sounds like that with your post.

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

SilverShooter sporting guns are for weekend sissies .

As for Browning Guns I,v Seen some shot very well .

When you Growup you will change your mind

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Don't be so sarcastic, SilverShooter. The reason it would bother other shooters is that anyone with a cheap gun is automatically creating "safety issues." That law is on page 1 of the Club Geezer Handbook, LOL.

-Gary

8. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

DaveP, Your GC7 will do the job, you will need to grow accustomed to it. Shoot some paper to see where the shot is going. I do this about once a month just to reset my hold. (just today as a M O F). I do this from the shoulder, not a rest- so as to account for the stock fit and hold. Aim and fire. Repeat as necessary. Paper is the Rosetta Stone to translate what your gun is doing. Regards, The TinMan

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

For gods sake! he said in his post that the gun was ported and it bothered shooters on either side of him! Got nothing to do with snobby old geezers. I guess wearing my ear plugs another shooters porting doesn't bother me but each shooter is different. I swear all some of you do is look for a reason to stir up a bunch of negativity.
    the browning will be fine as long as the drop in a typical older sporting clays gun doesn't cause the gun to kick you in the face. That will get old after a while. Good luck till your gun gets back. Jeff

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Jeez Jeff, chill out. We saw the porting comment. Ignoring facts and bending reality to meet one's own needs is half the fun of being a Club Geezer! Now pipe down and stop creating safety issues or we's gonna run you off!

-Gary

PS: That ejected hull from your SuperX scratched my K80, LOL.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I'd guess at least 90% of new trapshooters start with a "non-trap" field gun.

John C. Saubak

12. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Dave P;
    I started shooting trap with a 30" GTI, ported, and it was fine for the first year.But as I progressed and refined my shooting, I outgrew the gun and bought a 32" o/u with a higher rib and POI for trap and an adjustable comb.You will need these features if you shoot trap seriously.
    I use my flatter shooting GTI for skeet and it's just fine.

Ned

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I got sucked in by the damn geezers again. Jeff

14. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

You can use any gun you like if it fits you and you can break targets. i started out with a 1100 field grade and broke my first 100 on the 16yd at michigan and a 98 at the 22 yd line in my first year of shooting. I just wore it out. Dont let anyone tell you that you need a big money gun to shoot trap. With that said i do believe if you shoot alot then you will need a better built gun (most likely a trap gun) to handle the many rounds you will shoot through it. If your just a weekend warrior and dont intend to be at the 27yd sooon then shoot what you like.
    Chris

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sure. I shoot my 1187 hunting and sporting clays shotguns. Of course, they're all modified with monte carlo stocks so they have the same POI as my trap 1187. If anyone turns a nose up at my camo 1187, I haven't noticed it, but maybe that's because I just don't care anymore. And my budget's definition of an expensive shotgun is a Beretta 391.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting trap is important. What you shoot trap with is not as important as shooting trap. Gun club snobbery is both real and imagined. Some shooters using less expensive guns simply imagine that others look down on them because they have expensive guns. Other shooters with expensive guns like to show them off to shooters with less expensive guns. They are really not trying to put anyone with a less expensive gun down, they are simply trying to elevate themselves because they have an expensive gun. Both very good shooters and shooters with a lot of experience are primarily interested in the scores others shoot, not what they shoot. They are interested in the characteristics of other guns simply because they are looking for something that might help them.

I examined several times the Rem. 1100 that Daro Handy shot. The gun was broken down to a pile of parts on a table and I looked at how Daro had tricked many of the parts. I could care less how much the gun costs, I just wanted to learn something that would help me. When Daro Handy (Rem 1100) an Frank Little (BT-99) were on top, every All American was interested in their guns. No All American was interested in what I had done to my K-80 combo.

Pat Ireland

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Yea Jeff when someone comes in with a question that they might like a serious answer to how dare you give it to them. You have a lot of nerve giving correct answers on a thread where some one is asking for an answer.

It is definitely better to give these type thoughts.

"Jeez Jeff, chill out. We saw the porting comment. Ignoring facts and bending reality to meet one's own needs is half the fun of being a Club Geezer!"

Sure does do a lot in the help department doesn't it. Then again that seems to be the way the site hero's work now a days.

Bob Lawless

18. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Years ago, I owned a 28" GTI and used it for everything. For whatever reason that was the noisiest gun known to mankind. I never shot it where someone didn't complain about how noisy it was. I realized how noisy it was when I let a buddy shoot it.

Sorry guys, but I'll go out of my way so I don't have to shoot next to a ported gun these days. I don't own any ported guns anymore because of the noise it subjects others too.

ss

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

More important than what gun you have and if it has porting is the question of are you any fun to be around.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Well said, Wolfram.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.