1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap with a unmounted gun, would it be much differ

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I just wonder if we shot trap with a low gun if scores would be much different? Would it prevent developing a flinch so easy?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I can tell you this, the stocks would look a lot different!

ss

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Isn't that how skeeters do it?

Bryan

4. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Of course, the scores would be much lower (most people can't take the "ego" hit). Sporting clays used to be a "low gun" game but skeet/trap shooters trying it were not doing very well....so, the rules changed to accommodate their fragile egos....scores improved, participation increased....(the excuse used was that it was "too hard" to enforce the low-gun rule)......

Besides, traditional trap is a game that is friendlier to the "older" shooter with failing eyesight.....low gun games are hard on the joints and demand the shooter is more flexible.....

Keep American Trap the way it is! Old guys need something to do!

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

When i start missing for some unknown reason I start shooting a low gun and start back hitting, I think my instinct kicks in and i get focused again..

6. shrek

shrek Active Member

skeeters used to shoot low gun, but now can shoot mounted gun. I still see a few older guys shooting it low gun once in a while for kicks and giggles.

7. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

International Skeet is shot low gun. FITASC is shot low gun. In fact, it's an infraction if you even do a practice mount when you step on the Parcours.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's all relative.

9. mtneer88

mtneer88 Member

I am primarily a sportng shooter but grew up shooting skeet. My dad is a traditional man and taught me low gun on the skeet field and that is all that I have ever shot. When I moved over to shoot sporting clays it was still a gun down sport. Now everything is pre mounted and it bugs me a bit.

All of my shooting buddies with the exception of one pre mount the gun. I don't know if this gives them an advantage a I regularly beat most of them. My opinion is that this sport started to simulate hunting conditions and you dont walk through the woods with a pre mounted gun. Call me old fashioned but it seems that everyone today wants to find a shortcut to improve the result. I am not an old man by any stretch but in some ways consider myself an old soul.

I think there is a ton of merit to shooting from a gun down position. I know that the VAST majority of the shooters would not want to shoot that way, but it gives me a satisfaction to know that I have stuck with the most challenging method.

Mike

10. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

It builds in gun speed.

Try it, you will be surprised, that is if the gun fits you

I have shot better gun up than gun down

Last time I did it, I shot a 24/25 and I average around 23 normally

regards

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

For a couple weeks before hunting season, I shoot practice rounds starting low gun. It is not as hard as you would think, once you get used to shooting birds that are farther away. You better learn to lead targets that are falling, rather than rising and cresting

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Leo, I do the same thing before hunting season. It helps on those low flushes.

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

One thing I should have stated earlier. I can't tell you how many times I've broken a target, on a 4th or 5th shot, during an annie from low gun. If you stay focused on the target you'd be surprised at what transpires.

ss

14. missed some

missed some TS Member

guess it depends on whether you want to compete and WIN, or just pull the trigger for kicks.You can shoot standing on your head if you want, just don't see any shoot offs at big shoots with gun down method.

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Aren't shooters that mount their gun, while you're still chasing your target, already doing that? Maybe they're onto something. ;-)

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I think he's musing about an ATA trap rule that everyone must start low gun, like they do in international skeet or FITASC.

17. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I hadn't really thought of it as an ATA rule Timb99 but hmmm....no don't want to turn the thread into a poop fest.

I was thinking mostly about the number of times I've heard that starting with a mounted gun promotes some bad habits and leads to flinching quicker than low gun. I've shot club shoots with some who shot low gun always but never saw anyone at an ATA event.

18. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Whats your pleaseure?

I watched a dove and quail hunter at KGC try and shoot mounted gun, he broke 1 out of 25.

I went and talked to him and suggested he shoot low gun, he shot 24 out of 25.

It is all in what you practice.

19. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I shoot sporting with a guy who is 70 and he flinches with a mounted gun but can shoot FITASC with low gun and no flinches. There is nothing in FITASC harder than a eye level trap target with the machine out 20yards and the spring wound up and your gun down.

20. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I hear a lot of guys say they shoot better when starting low gun. None of those guys shoot higher than C class.

When I was younger and played a lot of pool, I took a lot of money off guys who said they played better while drunk.

If you want to shoot low gun, there is no rule against it. Remember, whatever works, works. Do whatever it takes to make you shoot better. If you really do shoot better starting with a low gun, by all means do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.