1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap vs Skeet vs Sporting Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jevoliva, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

It has been said over and over in many different thread here that Sporting Clays (and in some threads, Skeet) is growing and Trap is not. In fact, some posters have even said that people are "flocking" to Sporting Clays over Trap. These claims are provided with no actual data.

I posted some numbers comparing the number of entrants in the past couple years National Championships in both Sporting Clays and Trap (Grand American) to show the real numbers between these two biggest shoots in their respective disciplines. Yet, the claims persist.

So, in an effort to not be called a troll and hijack somebody's thread, this is an open thread for anyone to go hunt up the data and PROVE that people are flocking to sporting clays (or skeet). Maybe they are. I'm just asking you to prove it.

2. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I will get the ball rolling. According to the NSCA website, the "Main Event" in this year's National championship had 1302 entrants. In 2010, the same event had 1196 entrants. That is a year over year increase of 106 entrants, or a 8.86% increase.

Looking at this year's Grand American, the GAH had 2275 entrants. In 2010, there were 1988 entrants. That is an increase of 287 entrants, or 14.43%.

Comparing head to head, in 2010 there were 792 more entrants in the GAH vs the "Main Event" and 2011, there were 973. On a year to year basis comparison between the two, there was a 22.85% increase in the difference in the number of shooters in both events.

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I hope that they all do well and just continue to grow. We all benefit from any growth in any section of the shooting sports. For me, I am completely bored with trap and have been for several years now. Skeet is still a little fun to me but too far from home to do it on a regular basis. Sporting and 5-stand is very enjoyable to me but proximety is also the issue here in addition to increased bird prices. I have some of my most claytarget fun with a small group of friends with hand or mounted throwers, just messing around and getting all different kinds of targets thrown.

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Apples and organges.

Take out registered shooting.

See good numbers in both trap and skeet at many clubs on weekends, but...

Casual sporting clays shooting has been on the upswing and still is. If you want to see young families or guys out with their girl friends on any given weekend, visit a sporting clays course.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Who really cares as long as people are getting involved with ANY shooting sport?

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This is a big country and things are different everywhere.

Our club has more trap league participation compared to skeet, but on Sunday Morning there will be 3 skeet fields going and only 1 or maby 2 shooting trap.

Not enought places have skeet fields to make this a meaningful comparison. There are 3-4 sportie courses in the area, and they all seem to be going ok.

I'm with Brian on this one.

HM

7. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

I agree w/Brian,

Who cares! As long as we have more people participating in ANY Shooting Sport!

Learn to shoot them all.

Shoot safely, well and often,

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I enjoy both trap and skeet. When I have had the money to shoot ATA events to me frequently during the winter, I can't wait to get into the skeet league again and relearn a full swing again.

They are both fun to me.

That is all I need to know.

SHoot well, shoot often, and shoot at any clay that flies!

AL

9. missed some

missed some TS Member

i think the thread is aimed at those who want to change the ata, and who keep crowing about sc and skeet growing and trap dying. like he said, prove it.

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I shoot at two clubs. One is a trap only club. At the trap club, shooting is down from when I started this game in 2005. This holds for both ATA and "recreational" trap. We used to throw ATA 22 days/year and we will be down to 11 days next year. I see a decline at the the State grounds as well and other local clubs. Maybe just a Michigan "problem" as our economy is in the dumper.

Take the Grand results in perspective. The Martins "invested" $300k. I know that my buddies and I shot a more events than we would have normally shot due to that "carrot".

I have decided to shoot some skeet and SC this coming year. This will mean a bit less trap. One sport is not better than the other - just different. The point is to have fun. Sure, trap is declining but it is a long way from dead.

People tell me stories about "the good old days" and having to wait for a turn to shoot practice on the weekends. Now they bitch because rounds are $5 or we close early due to lack of participation.

Don Verna

11. rustygun

rustygun Member

I'm with Brian on this, but it might be interesting to know the average age of the participants in the two events. You would have to throw out jr's and sub jr. classes in both events.

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I used to pratice Trap a lot, but, when I moved the closest Trap field for pratice is 70 miles one way from home. So we now shoot the Sarasota ATA toonament on the first Saturday of each month. My scores are showing the lack of pratice as well.

There is a SC range 10 miles from home and we go there a lot, most every weekend on Sat or Sunday. Square One Sporting Clays, setting is in an Oak and cabbage palm hammock, great palce to shoot, no rush just have fun.

I can not say that SC is outpacing ATA, but, as said above, who cares as long as shooting sport numbers are up.

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sporting clays is hurting, too, in North Carolina. Sporting clay ranges are
    frequently dual businesses that also raise game birds and provide hunting.
    Even that hasn't been enough and many are now catering to pistol and rifle shooters. To attract shooters, they are reducing the prices of registered shoots to almost the cost of a practice round.

We're doing the same thing for our registered trap shoots. $16 targets, no money unless you play the options. It seems to be helping.

14. Draht Guy

Draht Guy TS Member

I am a registered sporting clays shooter from NW Ohio. From my experience, participation in registered sporting clays in Ohio and Michigan has leveled out. The Ohio State Shoot this year had its highest turnout of shooters ever but I think it was a case of location. The shoot was held at the Cardinal in Columbus which is centrally located in the state and gave Ohio and adjoining state shooters a managable drive. For example, in every event I shot I had an out of state shooter in my group. The sporting clays courses at the Cardinal weren't even a year old then and that may have drawn in some more shooters too.

But I'm in agreement with most others on this thread, participation in all aspects of shooting is a good thing!

15. pdq

pdq Member

Joe:

While I agree that at many trap clubs you won't see young people, girlfriends, etc., etc., that's not true everywhere. I also shoot at a golf club that has a winter trap program. Families come, they have lunch together, they bring guests, their dates, kids, etc. Parents and children shoot together, husbands and wives -- it's quality time as a family. It's a very welcoming crowd with people going out of their way to make first-timers feel welcome and comfortable.

We shoot Sundays from the beginning of October thru the end of March. Over the last 3 weekends we've averaged 15+ new shooters/week with most being in the 15 - 25 year old bracket, and about 80% male / 20% female. There are enough women shooters already there that the new gals don't feel out of place. We promote it as "Winter Golf", provide safety and shooting instruction, have good quality club guns (BT-99s, etc.) for them to use and once they start breaking targets they are pumped and they come back. We provide the shells, and we go though 10 - 13 flats a day. We start at noon and shoot singles, high speed wobble, and doubles & have to keep things moving in order to wrap up by 4:30 closing time.

So -- is trap dying? I guess it might, but not everywhere.

Pete

16. missed some

missed some TS Member

the biggest difference I see is, I have never been to a sc course that didn't take credit cards, we live in a plastic world, i am sure that guy with a wife and 3 kids shooting sc isn't paying with cash. In fact the few courses i have been to, everyone i saw paid with plastic. I work with guys who don't shoot trap for that very reason, payday isn't till next fri. so they go shoot on plastic instead. and if you run across a gunclub (trap) that does take plastic, they wanna add 4%. I think we are missing a niche. mark crist

17. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

The sporting game is very expensive to support and therefore the cost of sporting is cost prohibitive to alot of shooters. (competitive shooters that is) If you want to shoot alot and shoot alot of big blast tournaments, you better get ready to take your wallet out. Consider this though....let's say that you have a 15 station course and a five stand. If your five stand has 6 traps, you are looking at 36 traps. Not to mention batteries and chargers (most clubs use the solar chargers). You have to keep those traps full of targets and all traps in good working order. It's just very costly to sustain a sporting clays operation. That's why target costs are insane now days. The closest club to me is $25 for 100 targets. The next closest (Elk Creek in KY) is $45 per 100!! I have a local trap club that still throws practice targets for $2 for 25 if you can believe that. So, if I want to practice enough to be a competitive shooter, I can shoot 100 trap targets for $8 or 100 sporting targets for $25 at the cheapest. You do the math. Just the nature of the game. Tough times for shooters and clubs in this sorry economy.

18. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

I agree with most everything that has been said here. Yes, increased participation in any shooting sport is good news. Yes, there will be regional differences in participation numbers. Yes, SC costs more than trap.

But, the reason I started this thread is that people on this forum have stated numerous times that former trapshooters are moving away from trapshooting (too hard, too easy, no money in options, bad or lack of calcuttas, etc, etc, ad nausem) and "flocking" to SC and skeet. They make these claims with no numbers. I want to see the numbers.

So, to riff off of a popular 80's commercial (now trying to make a comeback), "Where's the Beef"?

19. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

I don't see the 'flocking' from trap to Sporting Clays here in Indiana. I will say that anyone who says there is money to be made shooting sporting clays has been smoking the carpet fuzz.

20. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

This is a great thread. Jev, I like your call for hard data. My guess is, no one has it readily available. Anecdotally, I do see younger shooters attracted to sporting clays over trap. Why? It's simply more fun. I love trap and am committed to becoming the best I can at it. But my 16 year old son is far more interested in clays. Trap is repetitive and the same, or at least it should be, from club to club. Clays by design is meant to be varied. No two courses are alike, nor should they be. SC courses are set by the new celebrities of the sport, like Mike Luongo at Nemacolin in PA, and design courses to be challenging and enjoyable. SC is also more social. You can walk between stations talking to friends, smoking a good cigar. When I shoot trap, the key is focus, consistency, rhythm. You can't talk to your shooting companions during a round of trap. Between? Sure, but not during. All that said, I love trap and intend to beat as many of your at next year's Grand as I can. But for fun, clays wins hands down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
clay vs skeet shooting
skeet vs sporting clays
skeet vs sporting clays vs trap
skeet vs trap shooting
skeet vs trap vs clays

skeet vs trap vs sporting clays

sporting clays vs trap and skeet

trap vs skeet vs sporting clays