1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Tips!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Just thinking about how I got to where I am today with Trap!

THINKING! Yes, trap is a thinking game! Some people DON'T think and yet they seem to have great scores, but to really be good, you MUST think. Here are a few things to think about, yes I didn't invent them but used them quite frequently:

1. Think about how you shot last time, especially when you missed certain targets and focus on how you did it and you will not miss that target again on this trap.

2. Think when you get on post 5 that you always miss hard rights, while you are thinking about that, start wishing out loud, hoping you won't get a single hard right!

3. Think about what target and how many each of your squad mates are missing and have missed.....that will definitely give you something to do with your mind while on the line.

4. Think about how good you are doing when you haven't missed any targets, this will help you do a little arithmetic as to how many straight you are and just how many you have to go to break 100 Straight!

5. Think about how hard your gun is kicking and that you don't remember it kicking this hard, maybe even you got a bad batch of shells or even got your handicap reloads mixed with your singles shells.

6. Think about just how hard the wind is blowing now that you and your squad have started to shoot and those lousy So an So's on the previous squad took so long and now the wind is very bad for your squad. Not only that, but they had the targets which were set great changed to where they are going almost straight up!!!

7 Think about what a Jerk the fellow is on the post to your left who is taking waaaaay to long to shoot, especially when he was the guy who held up the squad by forgetting to bring shells to the line and then stopped the squad so he can put his ear plugs in.

8. Think about things not related to shooting like; how expensive it is to shoot now like entry fees, shell costs, how expensive gasoline is getting, and where you are planning to eat after you get finished. These thoughts are really not shooting related and will help you not concentrate on breaking these targets which really aren't set right because you know when they are right, better than the people who run this shoot!

9. Think about whether your gun is really shooting to the right(or left, or over, or under) the target and if you miss a few, try shooting where you think you need to shoot in order to compensate for what your stupid gun is pulling on you now!

10. Think about whether people are watching you shoot and how hard you are breaking the targets, you know they would like to pick up some pointers with your style or even heaven forbid on how not to shoot or even a display of anger when you miss.

I know this was a little long and very deep for some of you, but I'm even sure some of you already know all these tips and have used some of them inorder to reach your pinnacle of shooting as I have. It has taken me years to acquire this information along with a flinch or two, but you can get there quicker to where I am by following a few of the 10 useful tips. I'll end by saying what one shooter said to me when I asked him how he shot,he said; "I just made 100 empties!" Think about it. Biff

2. indycamster

indycamster Member

"Thinking? We don't need no s&^@ing thinking around here!" I can't think of anything more profound, but let me think about it. Good to see you are getting back to form.

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

uh, focusing on anything other than "breaking your next target" is not going to be a good thing. you need to be alert, attentive to conditions, yet relaxed and intent. thinking gets you into troubled waters....least ways always does me.

4. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

That's his point, Twin.

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You sure you didn't get those out of J. Russell's books? ;-)

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Biff: I have been thinking about the wrong things. Mine usually are and in this order.
    1. Hope I am not the first one to miss a target on my squad.
    2. Hope I saved enough money for gas to get back home.
    3. How am I gonna pay my house payment this month?
    4. Will my electricity be on when I get home.
    5. Why didn't my mom marry someone rich.
    6. Am I suppose to be at work today.
    Then its my turn to shoot I usually start on post 3. Birdtracker

7. biff

biff Active Member

Birdtracker, now you are thinking! Great ways to relieve the tension caused by shooting! All you have to do is to think your way out of a mediocre score! I especially like your #1 thing to think about inorder to get your mind off shooting....heck, have a little fun while you are shooting and quit taking yourself so seriously, no one else cares if you miss a target or two!

Stokinpls, good idea! While shooting, try to remember all the imformation and the order in which it was written in Russell's book, in doing this and quoting it frequently, your shooting will take a turn so you could be called Champ! You know he wrote two books, the assimilation of knowledge in his first book was only surpassed by how organized it was! BTW, do you mind if I'm the first to call you "Champ"?

Twinbirds, try to have a little fun on the line and don't be disturbed with a few misses now and then. Try watching your squadmates targets and keep a tally of the ones they missed so you can tell them how they missed when you come off the line and feel good that you are helping them! Biff

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Biffer, speakin of books, ya ourghta rite one buddy!! U'd prolly sellum like hot kakes to the masses, like Russel did with his fabulous masterpeices!! Ifn ya wunt a proff reedur, jist lemme no? :)

Hapster

9. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Trapshooters...thinking?? Naah! No such thing. Regards, Ed

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Biff

Hope you are coming to the Fall Festival at Nashville, Oct 6-9.

11. PAK

PAK Member

My Dad who was a state champion always said if a trap shoot could remove their brain they could be a great shooter.

12. hoot619

hoot619 Member

When I think of what I'm suppose to do that is when I lose it. I am better off doing : see bird shoot bird. When I use Finnish Genius brain it all goes to hell! Ken U

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Biff!

I've got at least one 99 straight for each one! They sure do work good!

14. indycamster

indycamster Member

Well, I was thinking,,,how about a patch that says, "ONE STRAIGHT?" Put it on with velcro and has you hit each one, stick on a patch...100 should extend out about 3 inches, that would make sure all your less fortunate shooting buds would see it and be amazed. Then make patches for the various things you could be thinking about and stick one on as you think about it....or don't think about it...
    How about ripping a page out of Russell's books and stick it on your vest? I use his books to keep the important papers on my desk from blowing away...as I began, I was thinking....thinking...but like the Great Curly said, "I try to think but nothing happens!"

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Reminds me of an old high school annual. One of the kids had for his motto: "I know a lot, I just can't think of it."

Poor guy actually had the job of running the local trap club for a couple years, and didn't do a half bad job either. Trap was $3 a round and they let him go because he wasn't bringing in enough cash. The two guys after him could do no better. Finally the place closed when the land developers moved in.

16. biff

biff Active Member

Coach, I'll probably only make it on Friday at the Tn. Fall Festival and miss my favorite event, the 200 singles, on Saturday as I am going to shoot in a 22 rimfire competition!

Dave DeBerry always told me, "The mind is a beautiful thing to waste when trap shooting!" I thought I could follow that advice, but I couldn't; why oh why couldn't I have done Alegbra the same way I shot trap!

Hap thanks for the offer, but I think I'll save my thinking for the next time I shoot trap! Clarence try to be more like Curly on the line and that 100 straight will come and BigM Perazzi, just keep thinking and your scores will take a dive, I used all those tips a hundred or more each! Biff

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Learn the "PRESS". Helps you to overcome standing like a statue. When you stand like a statue, the gun often comes detached from the anchor on your jawbone. When you "flow" to the target the entire torso moves in sync and the gun tends to remain glued more readily.

18. biff

biff Active Member

The only thing perhaps better than using thes "Trap Tips" is reading and memorizing many of the charts and graphs Neil Winston used to put on TS.Com so you could understand why 7 1/2's worked better than 8's!

I used to spend hours before a shoot memorizing those statistics and that my friends was why I shot so well! Tips will only take you so far, you gotta get more scientific in your thinking. Biff

19. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Here's a tip, if you want to talk, shoot skeet, if you want to shoot trap, shut up and shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.