1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap thrower dilemma

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by k newman, Jul 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k newman

k newman TS Member

Hi,
    One club I belong to a 'VERY' small club and some years back, they stripped the property and tore down their trap house which contained an old handset winchester -- it was one house, never used.

The new house is up, but instead of a handset, the club would like to get something automated. We have looked at the costs of rebuilding and updating the winchester.

are there other cheap (1k-2k) throwers out there that would permit an occasional round of trap, and not be a handset. If this thing would throw 1000 birds a year, I'd be impressed.

thanks

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Dick Masterpole,in Parish, NY sells an add-on for Winchester hand set traps that convert the trap to auto loading. His phone # is 315-481-5326 Hope this helps. Larry Evans

3. billn

billn Member

We updated our small club by putting Pat Traps in the Skeet and Trap house.

I put the skeet machines on wagons I got from Lowe's , 100 foot of # 10 cable on them and connected the cable to the trap house in the middle of the skeet field. the old Trap machine, we put on a rack in the back of # 3 station to shoot over the skeet and trap field. We use all the machines and several others to have a 5 stand. The skeet machines work just like the skeet set up, we plug in the machines in a box setup just like the skeet set up, the push buttons we run back to the end of the ring around the skeet stations.

With the help of Wize and getting parts from him, I rebuilt the old machines and they work real good.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You might try Quality Replacement Parts.

Quality Replacement Parts Inc. 9099 Bank Street Ste. B, Valley View, OH 44125. Phone 216-674-0200 1-800-742-0425. Fax 216-236-5050

I tried their web site and it is now P/W protected, but a phone call might be in order.

Places like Shyda's also have used traps for sale at various times.

Worth a look.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

What do you need for parts? Do you have the manual showing all the parts as a schematic?

Remember that these machines are obsolete, but some parts are still available from various sources. I was the Midwest Distributor for the W-W trap & skeet machines for several years.

These machines were supported by H-S Precision here in Rapid City SD. I orchestrated the buyout from Winchester to Rapid City. Unfortunately, H-S is only selling parts in stock and they are not making any parts for any of the W-W machines.

I have a fair amount of new parts, and some refurbs too.

Let me know what you have.

Whiz White

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Where you are at?! Might have a Remington automatic, that is a workhorse in working condition that might not go for too much...

regards,

Jay

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Try not to spend good money after old band aids. You'll regret it. If you have the money, buy a Pat Trap or a GMV Superstar. The Pat Trap is my choice.

If you don't have the money right now, rebuild the old 1524X and wait until you have the money for a good automatic.

Much luck and throw as many targets as you can.

8. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

good advice above-- spend more than you want to-- long term -you'll be way happier. if you have a good thrown rock- you will throw way more!!! i first bot a new GP thrower out of atlantic ks for around $4000 nice machine. and yes i do have a second machine- pat trap bot used for $4500. i dont regret either purchase. here is a good rule of thumb- look at the shooters you have and how much they've spent on guns. now think of what it will take to attract even a few more? if you think cheap, thats what will happen!!! hope i didnt offend you!! wally riebesell happy shooting

9. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

10. k newman

k newman TS Member

Our club is western PA. We do not want a handset, and I have all the costs of rebuilding the 1524 and adding a carousel. We want to start cheaper and upgrade if it takes off. Our club historically does not use the facilities that much, and we're not even sure we have folks with an interest. We have a good trap league in the county and 5 miles away is a brand new club with wonderful facilities that is open to the public, so I suspect if folks like trap, they're already shooting elsewhere.

To keep costs down, I think we're going to be looking very low end new/rebuilt, or a good used trap.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I saw a GP for $3000, maybe less, in Indiana. Singles only but a good trap. New are 5000. Got any buddies headed for the Grand in trucks?

12. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Our club has an old Winchester automatic that was working when removed.
    We are in upstate NY. Price $1200.00.
    Please e-mail (remove XX)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

push buttons for trap machines