1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap / Target loads for Alliant Steel powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Jun 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ajax speaks the truth here.. There is also a huge pressure curve difference having something to do with how the shot sets back under firing.. Kevin at Downrange shared his knowledge with me on the subject.. USE ONLY PUBLISHED DATA..DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING... Steel is unforgiving when compared to lead.. Use caution..

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

"Steel" is not a powder for clay target loads. You're better off using the loads for Universal Clays and the other components suggested on the Hodgdon site. You purchased a hunting load powder. Feel free to personal message me if you want more details. Or just ask around at your club. They should have plenty of suggestions. Sorry it's not the answer you're looking for.

Joe

3. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Went thru the same dilemma a few years ago about Aliant Steel powder.Donated a 1# can to a local trap club that had a rummage sale and a serious duck hunter bought it. Thats really where it was meant to be anyway.

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've been reloading steel with lead components for more than 5 years. Using Clays - not Universal or International, regular Clays, loading steel into AA wads and the clones.

I've shot as much steel as anyone and have yet to damage a fixed "full" choked gun or one using "full" choke tubes. In addition to Winchester, I've shot the Claybuster and Duster Wads with no hiccups ever.

Have had my loads pressure tested by an independent service and they tested lighter (6000 psi +/-) than ANYTHING anyone else is throwing.

Took my guns to Kolar for examination and no damage was noted.

Now, I wont make any representations nor warranties on my loading. I load light and slow. 3/4oz steel 7s, flying 1100-1200 fps. My wads get beat up, but at a $0.01/wad that's AOK with me, I prefer next to no recoil.

Its OK to experiment, but be sensible, start light and get your loads tested.

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
allant steal powder lead shot load
alliant steel in a trap load

alliant steel powder for sale

alliant steel powder for target loads
alliant steel powder load data
can l load lead shot with allant steal powder