1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap stock help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Stephanbel, May 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stephanbel

Stephanbel TS Member

I own a Browning Ultra xs sporting ported, but use it as a Trap gun because it is difficult to obtain licences in South Africa. Im left handed and a above average shot, but my problem is the gun kicks me a hell of a lot. If I shoot more than 200 rounds my cheek starts bleeding. Has anybody have any advice where I can buy a stock and what types as i am left handed? Or what must I do to my existing stock to improve this?

2. Stephanbel

Stephanbel TS Member

I own a Browning Ultra xs sporting ported, but use it as a Trap gun because it is difficult to obtain licences in South Africa. Im left handed and a above average shot, but my problem is the gun kicks me a hell of a lot. If I shoot more than 200 rounds my cheek starts bleeding. Has anybody have any advice where I can buy a stock and what types as i am left handed? Or what must I do to my existing stock to improve this?

3. mt

mt Member

If you do not have access to a professional stock fitter....and well, even if you do.....Rollin Oswald has a very nicely written text on stock fit. It taught me a lot and can be downloaded from his publisher's website if i recall. just do a search on trapshooters.com. There is also another text advertised on shotgunsports magazines website...i think Batha wrote it.

In general things like an adjustable comb and an adjustable butt plate can help you dial the gun in to fit you better but it's important to go through some fundamental measurements so that you can alter the stock if needed at the same time as putting on the adjustable butt plate ...for example often the stock length must be altered as well as the pitch of the gun....so it fits perfectly against your shoulder pocket.

good luck,

4. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

It seems that a lot if not most browning's have the same problem !!! Short of a professional stock fitter I too think your best bet is to get a copy of Rollins book.

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

mj & N.J.BOB;

Thank you for your referrals. The book is no longer available in e-book format, however, only as a bound book, presently from the printer, Café Press. A number of books have been sent to both South Africa and Australia with their shortage of stock fitters.

Stephen;

You are suffering from what is commonly referred to as "cheek slap". There are a number of possible causes, often more than one, with inadequate pitch being the most common. This describes a stock with the bottom (toe) of the recoil pad that sticks out too far.

Although inadequate pitch is a common cause for cheek slap, it is often accompanied by slight flaws in one's shooting form, often involving the gun mount and/or stance used by the shooter in addition to other stock dimensions that do not fit.

My book, "Stock Fitting Secrets", describes all this in detail and gives step-by-step instructions for checking shooting form, all stock dimensions and how they interrelate with the shooter's size and shape.

Rollin

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I too--> highly recommend Rollin's book! The man knows what he writes about.

There may be other issues involved as well but more than likely just increasing the pitch will make the "cheek slap" magically disappear.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.