1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap stock for Remington 870?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lakota, May 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakota

lakota TS Member

I just started shooting trap and really enjoy it. I am not able to afford a trap gun right now, but I have a Remington 870 that I thought I could modify to be more competitive. I stumbled across these high comb thumb hole stocks from Boyds and wondered what a more experienced trap shooter would think of them. I've not seen anyone shooting trap with a thumb hole stock yet. I also want to swap the 26" barrel on my gun for a 30". Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Scott.

2. Chris

Chris TS Member

Scott:

I built an 870 with a Boyds Thumbhole stock and loved it. I had to install a Graco LOP butt pad because the way they came, the stock was too short for me.

I would do it again but I know if I do I will have some sort of an LOP butt plate added to it.

I also shoot a BT100 thumbhole and I really like it. It isn't for everyone but for me it works.

Chris

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I noticed in their FAQ's they said their stocks are "typically field style models." Will this be a parallel-comb model? Can't tell from the picture. If so, it might work fine for you. I've shot well with a thumbhole stock (on an 11-87), and like them, partly because of years of thumbhole target rifle stocks. I started trap with a field 870 with an add-on vent-rib Rem-choke barrel (28") and it shot great for me; bought a semi-finished Fajen montecarlo stock, fitted & finished it, and was ready to go. Enjoy your 870, a fine gun. Phil E

4. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

Here is a thread for Wenig Gun Stocks, finished or unfinshed, your choice & the price is right along with the workmanship.

http://www.wenig.com/

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Scott, hope you stay with this crazy game we all love. BUT, if you don't, that thumbhole isn't going to help you much when you go back to using that 870 for hunting. If you do get hooked like us, you will probably be looking for a true "trap" gun anyway. Why spend $140-150 for a stock?

Ask around your club. I would be willing to bet that someone knows where you can pick up a used 870 trap stock, and a 30" barrel for that matter, close to home. Years ago I loaned a older stock for an 1100 to a guy that was just starting with a field gun.. I got the stock back in 4 months and he got himself a trap gun. If I knew where that stock was now I would GIVE it to you. Good Luck

AJ100

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
870 trap stock
remington 870 for trap shooting

remington 870 trap stock

remington model 870 trap stock

remington trap stock

reminton 870 stock trap shooting
stocks for 870 remington trap guns
trap shooting stocks for a 870 remington