1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap, sporting,hunting ***

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zerafa, May 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

I would like to be explained why there is different stocks for trap shooting , sporting, hunting etc., Have a trap gun that I go trap shooting with, I am trying to adjust my hunting gun to match shooting with trap gun, why it is so hard and different? can anybody explain in detail to me please?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you're using the same kind of field gun as your trap gun, it ain't difficult to match the POI for trap, sporting clays and hunting.<br>
    <br>
    I've settled on using the Rem 1187 for nearly all my shotgun uses. Once I set up my trap gun to shoot where I wanted it to (the POI is where I am looking), I then installed stocks with similar dimensions on the other guns. Remington makes monte carlo stocks for slug guns and turkey guns in walnut, birch and synthetic black and camo. I just picked the one suitable for the particular gun, and installed it.<br>
    <br>
    I don't know what kind of gun you're shooting. If your trap gun is a different make and model from the others, then you'll have to try raising the comb by taping padding to it and shooting them to check the POI so you can match them. Then you'll have to see if there is a factory stock made to that comb height, or have one made, or use something like the Scope-Eze adhesive combs (which come in various heights) to match.<br>
    <br>
    One caveat - if your trap gun shoots to a very high POI, you may not be able to match your field gun to it and have it remain useful for hunting. But if the trap gun has a moderate to low POI, this is doable.

3. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Guns have different stock dimensions. Often, four of the five primary dimensions will differ significantly. In addition to being part of where a gun shoots, they also affect the shosoting form, the gun mount, stance and body posture used to shoot the gun.

Both shooting form and stock dimensions affect where guns shoot. Add to that the grip-size and balance-point differences, it becomes obvious why making guns shoot the same way is a challenge. It can be done but it is difficult.

Without knowledge of stock fitting, shooting forms and their effects on how guns shoot, the best you will be able to do will be to make the stock dimensions on your hunting gun the same as those on your trap gun. They would then shoot similarly if your trap gun has stock dimensions that fit your particular size and shape.

Rollin

4. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Brian, I have a beretta 682 trap gun with montecarlo adjustable stock, and aluigi franchi prestige hunting gun, I shoot with both eyes open so its more different to be perfect with POI especially while shooting, we normally shoot a lot on Pigeons here (MALTA EUROPE), tryed to lift comb by packing on the hunting gun,tried to get the rib look the same as the trap gun looks when lifted, still somehow I am not as convinces with results, obviously on trap gun shooting 24grams shells and on hunting 32g shells but still dont think it matters a lot, my aim is that when its off seoson of hunting I dont have to change my system to use the trap gun so actually while Off seoson more or less I am practicing hunting with the trap gun, trap gun is OU so two shells but hunting is 3, thats the only reoson I dont use one gun for both!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You can make all the guns the same when you start shooting trap with a dismounted gun.

visually acquiring a target in the field takes a little longer than on the sportie course, and most certainly with a mounted trap gun.

It only makes sense that guns for the differing situations would not be the same.

My field gun seems low to me when I try to shoot skeet with it. But In the field, it comes up perfect and hits what I am looking at of its own volition.

A little shorter LOP seems to work better for me in field use, the gun is at my shoulder more easily.

I see no problem with different stocks for different purposes.

HM

6. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Thanks wireguy, your explanation explain a lot of my doubts, i see the rib differently on both guns, trap gun can see all rib, wild bird gun can only see the end bead in full.
    Is this the normal way?

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    zerafa, I found that with my Rem 1187s, the field stock did not fit me. I had to use the second beed to align the barrel properly. I also could not shoot from low gun, which is also a handicap in the field.<br>
    <br>
    The very first mod I made was to install a proper trap stock with an adjustable comb. This made a huge difference. The gun fit quite well, and it raised the POI from 50/50 to aout 60/40, which isn't a lot for trap. It also isn't too much for sporting clays and field hunting. I no longer need the second bead, and can snap the gun into position from low gun.<br>
    <br>
    This worked out so well that I installed monte carlo stocks on all my 1187s, even on my fully camo'd model and my 1187 20ga. All shoot to the same POI. I found that, aside from the stocks not fitting, that I was having trouble with the different POIs.<br>
    <br>
    The three shotguns I have not added monte carlo combs to are my beater Win Model 24 that I use for cowboy shoots, my Browning Model 12 in 20ga (the sloped barrel/rib and the field stock somehow matches the POI on my 1187s). My Mossberg 590 tactical does not have a raised comb, but it needs one, because I often have trouble seeing the front bead. It has a Speed feed stock, so I'm going to eventually put on a Scope-Eze adhesive comb.

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

A great subject.
    Different guns or stocks for specific events does work well. But, guns are individual. Some feel different than others.
    Modern guns with lots of options like a Perazzi will allow you to customize as you wish. Or you can get comfortable with them and use chokes and adjustable combs (and if you like different recoil pads and configurations).
    For me, I now shoot more sporting and other targets (Bunker,Skeet,I.Skeet)than straight trap. The unsingle barrel on my GA combo is mostly in the case.
    I do use my same trap gun with an adjustable comb which I lower a bit for sporting and olympic bunker (and Skeet). I find I can shoot the bunker and sporting with the same set up. Interesting, because sporting has a low gun and bunker the fastest and most difficult unknown targets in shooting sports with a preset gun.
    For me, the pitch, cast and length can stay the same. Just raise the comb a bit for trap. I do like a parallel comb both vertically and horizintally. I can understand why some folks like a little longer stock for trap but I really like shooting one gun I like for all the sports. I know what gun to bring if someone invites me to a pigeon shoot.
    Now, hunting.....different issue.
    Jake

9. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Thanks to all :)

10. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

50/50 means its shooting right into the target? Have to cover the target/bird?
    Problem I fing with cardboard/paper shooting is that its not moving :)
    I know its the closest thing to testing, but what I'm doing is I'm shooting trap with the bird gun, making 16/25, 15, 18 17, when I tried the trap gun after one round made 24/25.I know I can make it if I keep adjusting but everyhelp is help and I appreciate your comments all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.