1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap, Skeet, Sporting clays, Bunker?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I drove the other day to a gun club about 45 minutes outside of Milwaukee. While there, I spoke to a young guy who was just looking over the facilities. We started talking and he said he has never shot trap, but would like to see all different games that the shooting sports has to offer before he purchases equipment and decides which one he will participate in. I told him that I thought that was a good idea.

If you had the opportunity to start your shooting career over, what shooting sport would you now choose, and why? If you would choose the same sport as you now shoot, any changes that you would have made when starting over?

Steve Balistreri

2. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

skeet. I like taking pairs.

3. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Just starting out, It would never hurt to learn skeet & trap just for the basics.. maybe when one person tired of the same targets, sporting & bunker come come ito play. If I had to chose only one starting out today,sporting or bunker. just my .02 best

4. 87AA

87AA TS Member

FITASC. Because it is the most hunting oriented game.

5. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I learned the basics of wingshooting on a skeet field. Short of setting up your own facility, it's as near perfect a classroom as you'll find. The game of skeet is least favorite, but I wouldn't take a beginning shotgunner anywhere else. You know the exact target line, how to position feet, gun, eyes. You can illustrate and teach the concepts of pass-thru, pull away, maintained lead (even diminishing lead), reading target lines and speed, visualizing leads, how and why perceived lead chnages, where to insert the gun and where to finish the shot and why, etc., etc., etc.

If I were grooming a shooter to become a good all-around target shooter, I'd start them on skeet then move to the trap field. Once a shooter can break 15-20 on a skeet and trap field with regularity, they can be introduced to sporting clays with its infinite variety of targets. This would be the time for the shooter to make a decision about what they'd like to focus on for awhile. Their personality will likely push them to want to master the specialized skill sets necessary to excel and shoot perfect scores at skeet & trap, or get caught up in the never-ending journey of seeking endless variety in targtes and terrain and to tackle any target that flies. A good sporting clays gun will serve well as a skeet or trap gun until such time as the individual decides to shoot registered NSCA or ATA.

As I said, I started on the skeet field, took up sporting clays, got hooked on FITASC but went nowhere for lack of shooting opportunities, learned to shoot trap to have pre-mounting as a specialty tool in my bag of tricks as well as getting comfortable with shooting long strings, dabbled in bunker but going nowhere for lack of shooting opportunities. I shoot all those and more in the course of a year and I wouldn't do it anything differently a second time around....except move to a warmer climate.

6. missed some

missed some TS Member

most of us started with what was available, would love to shoot bunker, now to compete where do I go? Same with the other sports, get your map out, look at northwest Kansas, and tell me what was availabe in 1979....I shoot trap

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Over the last couple of years I've been shooting 80% trap and 20% skeet and sporting. For years all I ever shot was shoot trap and that was done shooting at night. Between work, the kids, obligations, and time availiability to shoot on a regular basis this is what I had to do. Things are different now over the more recent years, I shoot whatever, where ever I want to and it's all daytime shooting for the most part.

Could'a, would'a, should'a, I wish I would have gotten into and persued the skeet game more. I love when I get out to shoot it. Yes, I suck and need alot of work. As someone said above they love skeet doubles. I agree. I like shooting skeet rounds when they are all doubles.

This coming year I plan to shoot some International and Bunker for the hell of it. Want to see what is all about. I'm sure I will be humbled but am looking forward to it.

I enjoy shooting all the different games, I have no trap career and don't want one. It's just fun to do and I like the folks I'm around.

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Started with a bit of Skeet then moved into Trap for a long time. Just recently tried Sporting and got hooked, but the range is pretty far so I don't get to shoot it often. Yesterday went to shoot Modern Skeet and had a blast as well. Never tired bunker because I need to fly somewhere to shoot it and that's not happening.

If I had my preference, I would probably shoot Sporting for the variety of target presentations. Followed by Modern Skeet and lastly Trap. I really like Trap, but I don't like the "perfection" aspect of the sport in which one miss is so crucial. Problem is that the ranges available to me are in reverse order of my preference so Trap it is.

9. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Until 3 years ago; all I ever shot was trap. Then I tried sporting clays. Although I still shoot a lot of trap, sporting clays is now my favorite shooting sport. I agree with vpr80. Trap is too precise and too expensive. I have been a lifetime member of the ATA for probably 40+ years. I very seldom ever shoot ATA targets anymore and do not have the desire to do so. Ed

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Mike:
    You make a lot of sense in your response. Forty one years ago when I first when out to the gun club I ran into a veteran shooter. He asked me if I was going to be shooting trap or skeet? I asked him what was the difference? He said trap was mostly shot by down to earth working people. The tournaments were large. If I didn't like someone, there were so many people that you didn't need to shoot with them.

Then I asked about skeet? He said skeet is shot by mostly doctors and lawyers and the rich. They drive up in their Cadillacs and wear silk underwear. Needless to say after hearing that, I took up trap. Over the years I have shot skeet during the winter at my local club and really enjoy it. Needless to say this veteran shooter did not do me any favors by his obvious bias description of skeet.

I have shot sporting clays one time and found it very difficult. I never shot bunker, but lets face it, money can only stretch so much. I believe when a new shooter ask about the shooting sports that they attempt to give them all a try if possible, before purchasing equipment.
    Steve

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

12. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Started on trap, because that was all there was to choose from. I've picked up skeet and sporting the past few years. But I love the pure challenge that comes from bunker. There are no easy targets, each requires concentration and solid fundamentals. HJH

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I like pulling the trigger.. Skeet provides a wonderful basis for gun swing and motion.. I think starting out with bunker or sporting clays would be quite difficult without a backround in skeet and then trap..

After all is said and done..your squad...and the people you shoot with make the sport.. If they are happy shooting the same scores..and staying in the same class.. year after year..never wanting or trying to improve..You're with the wrong people.. Or.. depending on you.. maybe the right squad..

In any sport.. we all shoot the same target.. The rest is up to you..

14. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I've only shot bunker once, but it is hands-down, my favorite shooting sport.

Problem is, closest facility is at least a 10 hour drive...

bluedsteel

15. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Location, Some of us do not have options. Trap, Skeet & Sporting Clay. All becoming more accessible.
    If you lived in Tucson, Az. / 4 1/2 miles from club, and your wife is understanding. See you there at 10:00am
    Bring equipment for all .

Joe Woods/Ontario

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bunker trap and sporting clay rules

clay target shooting bunker

how to build a skeet shooting range bunker

skeet bunkers

targets for shooting bunker trap