1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Skeet Shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Smokechaser, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

I was listening to a heated argument between about a half dozen guys at our club last weekend. The sides were about equal with regard to one fellow's claim about being both a trap and skeet shooter. The disagreement was started when one fellow said a person who wanted to be a 'top' trap shooter would ruin his chances if he also shot skeet sometimes. He said after forty years of watching this sport, shooting trap and skeet makes the shooter a below average shooter in both sports....

What say you?

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

There are lots of shooters who are "pretty good" at both. It is EXTREMELY rare to find someone who excels at both. I would venture to say it would be virtually impossible for someone to make the NSSA AND ATA all american teams in the same year (I know it was done in the past, but even that was a very rare occurrence back then, and neither trap or skeet required the time and money investment that they do now).

Time and money constraints make it almost impossible. To excel at either, one needs to typically shoot 20-30 rounds of practice PER WEEK, and attend 10-15 shoots a year. Not many people have the time or ambition to do that 2x, once for each sport.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Social or fun shooting skeet clearly taught me more about handling many trap shots than any other exercise. I was never a "remarkable"shot in either venue but my trap shooting peaked while shooting skeet for fun. I'm now through with trap competition, medically limited to 50 to 75 shots at any one time and more often I go to skeet for the fun. BTW, I shoot the skeet, occasional 5 stand, and even some sporting clays and it's all done with my Trap; O/U.....breakemall

4. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I know shooting skeet helped me tremendously @ post 5.

That said, you have to define your goals as a shooter. For me, I'd like to have fun doing, which requires me to do WELL. I don't need to win the Grand in the process.

I never wanted to give up the fun of shooting skeet and sporting to pick up a few birds in trap. Just not worth it to me.

Plus, I'd run out of excuses to buy new trap guns if I shot that well!

5. Nutso

Nutso Member

My best year of shooting was when I shot registered targets in both trap and skeet.

Both sports can me shot well, but not if your a single minded person.

6. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I think Dan Carlisle did pretty well in both as well as Sporting Clays.
    Gary Owen

7. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

If I start to slump on the trap field I shoot skeet for a while, it gets my gun moving again on the angles. Besides I like to shoot all the disceplines including pistol and rifle. I don't make my living at any one of them but I am more than adequate at all. Head down and keep swinging with the shotguns and slow breathing and squeeze with rifled bbls. Now that will mess with you for a little bit.

8. The Stive

The Stive Member

I enjoy both games. I shoot registered targets in both games. I do not want
    to give up either one. I continue to try and improve in both games. John

9. max trap

max trap Member

Smokechaser..There's a guy by the name of Wayne Mayes that was pretty handy at both. He broke a grand slam in trap and will probably go down as the greatest skeeter of all time.

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

You are all forgetting the primary ingredient for Excellence in any endeavor:
    DESIRE !!

11. new zealand trapper

new zealand trapper TS Member

Must be bit different here in NZ a normal shoot day starts at 10 am which is 50 to 75 skeet and then lunch and in afternoon we shoot maybe 75 to 100 dtl with sweeps on each 25 and normally a trophy shoot ie single rise, point score, doubles, triples , etc but myself and lots of others shoot 99% in both skeet and trap and i guess because its part of our "shoot" days we get very good at both and enjoy them together

12. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Your guys are full of crap. A good shooter is a good shooter.

Pointing the gun and leading the target are not functions particular to any one discipline.

Either you've got it or you don't.

HM

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap in the morning, skeet in the afternoon. HMB

14. Smokechaser

Smokechaser TS Member

Thanks, Gentlemen. I'm going to copy the comments and present them to the fellows at the club when this discussion comes up again. I won't have to wait to long, I seem to hear something similar every weekend......thanks again....FWIW, I believe it's not too difficult to do well at both. I believe they remain separated because the shooter just prefers one over the other and it becomes a bias....

I think I like that NZ program, or at least it's intriguing to ponder.....cya

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I look at it as how a person veiws the shooting sports. If they are just looking to have a lot of fun shooting shotguns then by all means mix up the games. If the fun is in getting to higher levels of competition then they would be advised to concenrate their time and money on just one game. For me skeet is a fun diversion that gives me a chance to use my field guns or just about any shotgun that I want to fool around with. I don't really care about the score and I don't register any skeet targets. Trap on the other hand is a more serious event for me.

16. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Very few clubs even have a "Top Shooter" that shoots there!!! There only a handfull in each state to start with!!! How many guys at your club can shoot a 100 strait most of the time in Trap or Skeet??? With that said I enjoy shooting all 3, and have shot many Reg. targets at all three. I do focus on one of them during a shooting season and try to reach a realistic goal during that year. If I meet it great, if not maybe I try the following year to do so before I switch again the following year. I'll never be a All American in any of three, but I can advance one class or best my highest score, or shoot a perfect game. Having fun, and spending time with your friends, Reaching a goal and becoming a better all around shooter are what keeps me coming back. I simply get bored just shooting one game for to long. Simple as that. break em all Jeff

17. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

No!!! This is absolutely not true!!!! My son was Collegiate National Trap Champ when he shot for Purdue Univ. in the mid & late 80's. The year before at his very first 4 gun skeet shoot at a big skeet shoot against the very best in the country,he shot a 392/400. 3 99's & a 95/.410. Two weeks before that he shot a 198 singles & 97 at the Indiana State Handicap. Earl Tolliver beat him with a 98 handicap. He shot 16 99's in a row in both registered & collegiate skeet & 16 yard trap. It is all about having a brain that works right for shooting targets & having the eyesight to match. He averaged 500 total practice targets a week as an undergrad at Purdue. Tom Lobonc. Hamilton,MT

18. Landshark

Landshark Member

Chad "Boom Boom" Cooley from Texas is one of the best shotgunners that have ever picked up a gun. He shoots all the games, plus flyers. He ran a 100 straight in the K-Cup at the Sporting clay nationals one year. Talk about a machine.

19. fly

fly Active Member

Mayes was a Top notch Skeet shooter, however Bender & Schmidt have surpassed him in several areas. Given their age vs. his, one of those 2 will ultimately be top dog when the dust settles.

20. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Look at Dick Smith, New York State I believe he is in the Hall of Fame for both

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best trap skeet shooters

wayne mayes vs sporting clays shootter