1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap /Skeet loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slkslk, Mar 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

What do you think is the best shot loads for 12 ga? 1oz. or 1 1/8oz. Is there much of a difference. I see that Ponsness Warren offers a bushing for 1 1/16, but I have not seen any formulas for that weight.

Thanks
    Steve

2. slkslk

slkslk TS Member

That is what I am trying to decide. I have #5PW which is 1oz. Previous to this PW machine I used a MEC with 1 1/8oz shot bushing and #33 powder bushing. I am loading reddot powder with WAA12CB wads in Win.AA hulls. To get close to what I am use to loading I would have to go to the #6 PW shot bushing,and a L or M powder bushing. If 1oz loads are good I could save money on the less ammount of shot in the shells, but don't want to sacrifice having fun hitting the targets

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you're talking practice, why not drop to 7/8... really put yourself to the test... if you're on the birds, they break just fine...

Jay

4. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Slk. I shoot a 7/8 oz. Load with American Select 19.3 gram and love it. Mind you we shoot steel 7 or 8s and I like them more then factory steel loads at 1oz. That kick like a mule.

5. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

there is an adaptor for the PW so you can use the mec powder bushings..
    I use the 5.5 shot bushing for 1 1/8 oz load its a little under weight but the crimp looks much better.

My 2 cents worth

6. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

I've used the PW 5.5 bushing for over 25 years with much success. Currently the 1 1/16 oz. is the heaviest shot charge I own. Loaded with 7.5 hard shot the reloads will break targets with authority even when shooting "wood pile" games at the 35 yd. line.

7. himark

himark Well-Known Member

you can always bore your bushings to do whatever you feel necessary.

8. Thevalueman

Thevalueman TS Member

I'm loading Clays...which aparently is a lesser amount of powder than typical...I think. Anyway, I tried the 5.5, and my crimps were inverted. I've since gone to the #6, and they are looking fine....howwver I throwing 1 1/16oz
    :)Rocky

9. Thevalueman

Thevalueman TS Member

I'm loading Clays...which aparently is a lesser amount of powder than typical...I think. Anyway, I tried the 5.5, and my crimps were inverted. I've since gone to the #6, and they are looking fine....howwver I throwing 1 1/16oz
    :)Rocky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.