1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Trap Shooting Tipping Protocol

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by garagestuff, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garagestuff

garagestuff TS Member

I'm new to Trap Shooting, enjoying every minute of it. Up until last weekend, I always shot at unattended fields. Can someone set me straight with the correct protocol for a club provided scorer? Is tipping the norm? How much?

Thanks
    Jim
  2. Stu Pidash

Stu Pidash TS Member

Do you mean the club had no voice callers and somebody had to manually push the button for you?

If that is the case then its the club that need to take care of them and I have no clue on the whole tipping part of it but it would be nice to see if they would like or have something to drink and just treat them nicely ... and never and I mean never blame them for your lousy shooting, no matter what happens they aint the ones pulling the triggers.
  3. garagestuff

garagestuff TS Member

This club has no voice callers and requires an attendent to manually push the button. I'm too new to the sport to blame anyone...except my bad eye sight.
  4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Our club hires young folks to score. They are paid. Tipping is voluntary and there is a "Tip Jar" at the sign-up counter. I believe the money in the tip jar is split amongst the scorers. I rarely see more than a few dollars in the jar.
    Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
  5. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I always tip the good ones, but never on the line. We shoot in crappy weather because we choose to, they really don't have much choice. Very thoughtful question to ask Jim, welcome to your new addiction.
  6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Most Clubs have a TIP can inside Use it . Some clubs don,t like a shooter handing money to a kid scoring your targets . Sign of the times I guess
  7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Jim, I've been in the game since '73, been a member of several clubs from S.F Bay area to mid-Oregon, and shot at many more. My recollections of those that were seen tipping trap help are so rare as to seem to be an oddity while thoughtful. It's been my habit to compliment loudly those trap help people that do a good job and be silent for those that do not but I've never considered it necessary to tip in the field. I have been, rarely, to events where a "Trap Help Tips" jar has been conspicuously placed at the cashier window and I have tossed in some loose singles on occasion.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd
  8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Tip for the Day: "Don't Cook Bacon Naked"

Curt
  9. houmike

houmike TS Member

At my club, tipping is forbidden, but at some of the other clubs in the Houston area, a nickel a bird seems to be the norm.

Mike
  10. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Never done it or seen it done. The only tip they get from me is to make sure they dont screw my score up.
  11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Curt,

I like that one.

Usually I offer, "don't stare directly at the sun," or, "don't take any wooden nickels."
  12. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I don't tip at ATA shoots for obvious reasons, but at my home club I tip a buck a round for the scorers (young college age men) who do the scoring, check the houses, fix the voice releases, clean up the fields and make sure the members have an enjoyable day.

YMMV

HBT
  13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

At the club, a buck a round if they work the chair... ATA, no.
  14. Ed Y

Ed Y Active Member

I always tip "on the line". That way I only tip the good ones.

Ed Yanchok
  15. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I usually throw a $20 in the pot at the banquite....( sp, bushilells Irish whisky).

tony
  16. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Curt very nice my fav is "don't breath under water" Corey
  17. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Jim,

I work as an Instructor at a public facility and for safety reasons we only use voice callers for registered targets. The rest of the time we have someone hitting a button.

The AVERAGE tip is somewhere between $1.00 and $2.00 PER GAME for trap & skeet. Sporting Clays is usually more as most people shoot 100 targets in 1 regular round.

I don't forget to tip the waiters and waitresses in restaurants, same with when I shoot. If I can't afford the tip, then I really can't afford to go out and stay home.

Shoot well!
    Tom
  18. cf4952

cf4952 Member

$1 per trap.
  19. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Moderator Staff Member

If I knew they would give me a 25 straight every time................lol

Hauxfan!
  20. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Member

I think I will institute tipping at our small, volunteer run trap club.

I am the 1st or 2nd to show up, last to lock up and leave after everyone is done "playing".

I am one of the "10% of the members who do 90% of the work", which after 40 years in the game, I know that's the way it works.

I know that no matter how things are done, some whiner will bitch about the target settings, even if they were just set properly that morning, others will say, when are "THEY" going to re-stain the deck, etc. These are grown men that don't want to lift a finger or put some thought into the running of their club.

That goes with the territory, the few of us that work to keep us operational know that's the way it is, we do the work for ourselves because we want to continue to have a place available to shoot.

Still, maybe they could tip us with something like a pack of 1,000 WW209's once and a while ;)

Yeah, right! That's gonna happen.