1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooting Saves me $30,000 per Year

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

I'll ignore the current thread where people moan and groan about the cost of shooting trap, whether or not to re-load to save X amount per box, etc., etc., etc., and how 'terribull" things are getting. This has only been discussed in about 100 threads on this list over the last 5 years, and it's same old tired comments over and over and over again. It's like arguing about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin -- at some point, who really cares.

Me? I look at it differently.

Trapshooting saves me about $30,000 a year. The math is simple. If I didn't shoot trap and was home all the time my wife would divorce me, and at alimony payments of $2,500 a month, that's $30k per year. And, compared to golfing, boating, waterfowling or game hunting, or anything involving cars / RVs / Motorcycles / ATVs / Jetskis / Snowmobiles, and just about any other year-round outdoor sport I can think of, trap is cheap, cheap, cheap at $10/round. I've left off gambling, boozing and chasing women as all of them can be very expensive, but they aren't (typically) recognized as primarily being an "outdoor sport", so not the same as shooting trap. But you can count them if you want.

Let's get past all the endles whining. If you want to engage in a sport -- any sport other than maybe speed knitting (which can be dangerous if you poke your eye out with a knitting needle) -- there is cost involved. Fact of life -- deal with it.

So -- next time you go out and pay $40 - $50 to shoot 4 rounds of trap, don't bitch to the person next to you about how expensive it is getting -- do a couple of jumping jacks & tell everyone you just saved $30,000!!!!

Pete

2. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I like your thought process. JRM

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Pete, I'm with ya baby! lol

4. pdq

pdq Member

Brownst100:

It works for me in PA.

Pete

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Pete,

I'm glad your not my accountant ... I enjoy classic cars, bowling, taking the wife out to a nice dinner, trap shooting and a host of other things ... I paid cash for the last 4 homes I owned and can't remember the last time I had car payments or didn't pay of the balance on my credit cards when the bill came due ... I know many people who whine about the cost of things but they do not show up at the shoots or at least I have never heard them complain about the cost while at the shoots ...
    If you think this economy has not had adverse effect on many people, what they do, when they do them, and their life styles in general you are as out of touch as Obama ... Please do us all a favor and don't vote for him the nest time around in 2012 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

PDQ, I'm going to let my Wife read this thread and then ask her if I can buy another gun and save even MORE money. Seriously though, Trapshooting is not that bad as you stated in your thread. Another very expensive outdoor sport that comes to mind is Drag Racing. You can spend thousands on an engine, drive it less than a mile and blow it up. Larry Evans

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Way to say it like it is Pete!

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Gotta have something to do. What would a shrink charge you for several hrs. a day at least twice a week????? Then HE would go shooting with YOUR hard earned money laughing at you all the way. Kinda makes a few boxes of shells & 50 to 100 targets a couple times a week look more reasonable & attractive doesn't it?? JMO Ross Puls

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Being mostly retired ... it is a bit different at my house.

When my wife gets tired of me being a pain in the a$$ she will say:

"How come you are not out shooting?"

"Today is Wednesday, the shoot is on the weekend!"

"Then why don't you go shoot a few rounds of practice?

"OK! Good idea!"

:)

10. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Bah! Get into ocean-going power boat racing -- or private aviation. That will make trapshooting look real cheap.

11. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You've got that right Ms Yuan. I remember when I took a friend to pick up a new K80 quite a few years ago. After he'd taken $8,500 out of pocket cash, he remarked on the way home that it was only one wheel of the landing gear on the plane he'd sold. Life is about choices. All good I hope, Bob

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Pete - As another retired guy like Ahab, I agree with your post, but you forgot the $400,000+ for her share of the house. I read your post to my wife, and she finds your logic absolutely correct. Now .... if I could only convince her that a Harley would be a good way to save on the fuel bill. My F350 diesel is good on fuel, but still not cheap.

13. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Life is generally good for all of us in the USA.. While fueling my car last fall I noticed the Following: A Ford F-250 pulling a 22' bass boat on a tandem trailer, with a 225 HP Mercury on the back. The boat had several rods attached to the foredeck, and the guys were headed out for a week-end of tournament fishing. Yes rooms, meals, entrance fees.....told my wife that the owner must have had $50,000 wrapped up (maybe more)! Make a new Perazzi look pretty cheap!

14. letts

letts TS Member

The depreciation on a $50,000.00 bass boat will easy pay for a $10,000.00 trap gun. The cost of the loan will cover all costs of using the trap gun.

Letts

15. pdq

pdq Member

Letts:

I don't think that bass boat costs a fraction of some of the monster RVs I see at large trap shoots.

Plus the cost of insurance.

Plus the cost of the space.

Plus the cost of fuel at 5 - 10MPG.

Otherwise, it's very economical.

Pete

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Somebody once told me that I will "be dead for a very long time"...

17. PHILFIRST

PHILFIRST TS Member

Thats right! Chango2 Live now pay later!!!! Life is to short spend it if you can!

18. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I have often wondered why there are so many whiners about cost on this forum. Seems in the demographics these guys are the same ones that have made or are currently making more than your average blue collar worker.

19. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

There is no doubt all hobbies have taken a hit with fuel costs .
    Better enjoy our passions, while we can.
    See you all at AZ. State Shoot. Next week.Weather has been satisfactory.
    No snow.

Joe Woods/Ontario

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

My wife just went shopping and couldn't wait to tell me how much $$s we saved--
    Everything was 30% off---yda--yda---I'm going trapshooting NOW so I can tell her how much I just saved since shot is going up soon---Have a nice day---
    George@SJB---

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.