1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap shooting question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jayusmc, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayusmc

Jayusmc TS Member

i have been shooting a blaser 12-gauge f-3 unsingle from the 16 yard line. I am shooting in the mid 20's. I have been shooting trap for 9 months. The factory set's the rib at60-40. I seek information from experienced trap shooters if I should adjust the high rib for p.o.I. Or leave it alone and just keep shooting... Old timers have told me that adjustable rib's can drive you crazy if you keep adjusting them in an attempt to improve your score. I would be most thankful to hear from fellow trap shooter's.

2. open choke

open choke TS Member

The comb is the number one to make a POI change. The purpose of an adjustable rib is for when you have a combo set you dial in the o/u with the comb and the use the rib adjustment on the single to get the same POI as the double.

Also if you try an 80/20 pattern you wont have to "cover the target" as much and that should help you out too

3. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

A good idea would be to patern test it to see where it is shooting for you. Try adjusting it to a nominal 70/30. Then shoot 10 rounds from station 3, you should be smoke balling them without having to cover the bird. Then try that setting on stations 1 and 5. Unless you are super fast that MAY work for you. If you are fast 80/20 may be better.

I found with the adjustable rib guns I've had (MX-15 and MX-2005) if I set the POI too high it worked great for stations 2, 3, and 4, but I had to stay under the target on 1 and 5. It's easy to do on a nice day, but throw in some wind and I lost the feeling of being able to shoot right at the front of the variable height target.

A little higher POI did work better from long yardage though. For that many shooters just add a spacer under the comb and live with a little space between the beads. Good luck and have fun.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Crank it up and see how you shoot it. Shoot enough targets so that you can really see if it works. That's why they are adjustable. It doesn't mean you adjust it every other target. To me 60/40 is to flat especially for trap targets.

Quick try - adjust the rib. Then you might want to try the comb if you want more. It's your gun tinker with it until you get where you want it. Play around at the patterning board so you where it is hitting, The 13 yd test will work for you. To hell with the old farts.

Don

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

And that's advice from an All American.

Don,

How is the being nice resolution working out for you? :)

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Before you make any adjustments to the rib and or comb, be sure to mark your present settings. This way when you start shooting in the high teens you will be able to put it back the way it was. HMB

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Your score might go down at first just like it does for everyone else. So what, give it a chance for 300-400 targets. Keep at it till you find something that works for you.

8. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

Try this procedure:

1.Adjust the comb laterally so that the beads are in vertical alignment.

2.Adjust the comb vertically so that the butt pad feels comfortably mounted in your shoulder pocket with your head upright and cheek down on the comb. Don't touch this again for any POI adjustment !!

3.Adjust only your rib for POI, which will depend on your current timing, i.e. how quickly you pull the trigger after you acquire the target. This adjustment procedure is valid only for rear-pivoted ribs like your F3. The bead relationship established by the comb position will not change with rib adjustments.

4.Start with say 70/30 according to the gun mfrs.' instructions for setting the rib.

5.Go to station #3 at 16 and ask for straightaway only setting.

6.Shoot by floating the target- that is when you sense a consistent gap under it. It's easier to subconsciously estimate a gap than touching the target.

7.Keep shooting until you're powdering the bird. You may need to raise the POI [with the rib only ]if you shoot quickly. Try this setting further back on 3.

Ned

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gosh Ned I wonder why most shooters adjust their combs when they want to raise or lower depending on the events. I guess I can throw away all the washers I carry. Remember yours is one theory - yours.

A quick adjustment to raise or lower the POI is to add or subtract washers or spacers. Using spacers lets you know you have the comb in the same place every time and it's not going to slide down on you.

A lot of rib adjustments are not really that much of a change. Again depending how high you want your gun to shoot so you need to know how to use your comb.

You may get confused with all the info coming at. So make your changes small until you get where you want to be.

Have fun and keep shooting.

Don

Matt so far so good.

10. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

It's not my theory Don. That's how the factory gunsmith at CG instructed me to setup my gun.Easy and very simple. To adjust POI,loosen set screw on front of rib, and turn rib adjustment wheel however many clicks needed.Three clicks is 5%.Takes about 10 seconds.

Ned

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Who are the "old farts" that "big don" is referring to? What did they do to deserve such scorn? Regards, Ed

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

OG read up in the thread.

"Old timers have told me that adjustable rib's can drive you crazy if you keep adjusting them in an attempt to improve your score."

Ned I am sorry but I don't consider a CG gunsmith an authority on setting up a gun.

Don(who happens to have been called a old fart on many occasions)

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Never try to create or "estimate" a gap. You'll be looking at the bead too hard and not the bird. Focus on the target. Your natural "gap" or soft focus, bird to bead relationship will develope itself. Staying consistant in that relationship is a whole nother discussion.

The object of an adjustable rib is to give you the bead alignment you like (like a figure eight) and the point of impact you want at the same time.

You can start at a mid range setting with your rib and only adjust the comb till you get the POI you want. Then if you need to adjust the rib so you see the proper bead alignment, raise or lower the front bead adjustment as necessary. On Blaser's, if you lower the bead, the gun will appear to shoot higher, so if you lower the bead and raise the comb, you're doubling your adjustment. Make small changes as you experiment.

And yes, I own a Blaser.

14. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Ned, like a mushroom, youve been fed bullsh*t...

15. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Shot a Caesar Guerini until a few months ago and the rib adjustment is like the Blaser (the front bead moves up/down and the rear remains stationary). CG said to adjust the POI with the rib...well...what BIGDON says is correct. Adjust the comb up or down until you are inking the targets and then adjust the rib to get the sight picture you like. You may need to make a small comb adjust after the rib is adjusted but it will be a small one. The comb height makes a big change in the POI while the rib makes smaller ones. Me...I think 60/40 is kinda low for most people. Raise the comb a 1/16 to 1/8 inch and give it a try.

As a place to start and verify that the gun is REALLY shooting where you think, you might try setting the rib at the mid point and adjusting the comb to shoot about 2"-2.5" high on paper at 13 yards (approx 70/30). After that go out and shoot some straight away targets from the 16 yard line. Adjust the comb up/down until your inkballing. When you think its just right, leave the targets set for straighways and move to station 1 and 5 too make sure its still like you want. Then adjust your rib if necessary for the sight picture you like and verify that it its still inking targets. It may take a couple of days and many targets but you will get there. Last step, record all your gun settings. Now the most important step...leave it alone for at least 1000 targets.

16. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

Never ever 'float' a target. When you 'float' a target you are aiming a shotgun. You should be pointing a shotgun.

How high your gun shoots relates to your skill set in breaking targets. When a shooter is new to the sport a 70/30 is about right. As a shooter improves then the POI needs to be adjusted higher.

In no way should a new shooter set their POI on 100% then 'float' the target. The 100% will come later.

Michael Stephenson

AA-27-AA

17. Beni

Beni Member

I thought you adjust your butt plate{if it is adjustable] for heads up position,adjust your comb for POI,and adjust your rib for sight picture??? beni

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like you are looking for a mechanical solution to a human problem .....

I'm not sure gun adjustments alone will get you where you want to be. Thousands and thousands of rounds of practice will. In the process you will also learn how to use the adjustable features of your gun.

19. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

You need to spend some time on a pattern board. Adjust it (comb) to shoot flat, 60/40, and start working up from there to "see" where your pattern is. Then get out on post 3 at the 16, lock it for straight aways, shoot and continue to adjust until you are consistently smoking the bird.

Taking the time to set your gun up now will save you alot of wasted entry fees, wasted shell money and frustration at ATA shoots.

Good luck.

20. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

As an earlier poster suggested, you need to spend some time on a pattern board. Adjust it (comb) to shoot flat, 60/40, and start working up from there to "see" where your pattern is. Then get out on post 3 at the 16, lock it for straight aways, shoot and continue to adjust until you are consistently smoking the bird. Then start working around on the other stations.

Taking the time to set your gun up now will save you alot of wasted entry fees, wasted shell money and frustration at ATA shoots.

Good luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.