1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap shooting prizes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenns, Feb 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenns

glenns Member

Looking for award ideas for our winter trapshooting league.

Any thoughts?

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Look around for U.S. Mint commemorative coin sets. We bought 15 sets for $15 each with coins in a sealed plastic case.

Eric

3. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i USED TO BUY STUFF THAT PEOPLE CAN actually use everyday and ALSO a small plastic tag with the event and date and sticky back. Many times the people keep the tag on their gun case or something like that. Cell phone holders, clock radio, iron, portable phone for the house, coffee grinder, tools for the garage, socket set, gift cards,grocery gift cards. I guess it is the useful thing rather then a trophy. The guys liked the tags like about 3/4 inch by 2 inches long. motordoc

4. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper Member

Motordoc -- Do you have a pic or link to what you're describing? We're always on the look out for something new.

Thanks. Gene.

5. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Knives are always good, as long as they're not made in China. If a knife is made in China, I don't even want it!

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

$$$$

Curt

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We have tried all the junk kives, trophies, coins etc. The shooters at our club want meat or cash. They like to take home something the wife can use. Gift Certificates at the local groceries work too

8. JT 27

JT 27 Member

20 years ago, I read a survey for awards. What it boiled down to was that new shooters wanted trophies, seasoned shooters wanted shells or money. Years ago, a state shoot gave away lamps with beer can bases, a junior won one of these and his mother went ballistic.

9. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Several years ago, a club here in the Southwest gave out Bob Allen catalogs and each trophy award was worth so many points towards redeeming items from the catalog. More points for the major awards and less for the runner-up etc.

This was well received by the shooters as the major award points were enough to order some of the items outright whereas more wins were needed in later shoots to accumulate enough points to get things that they wanted. This enticed the shooters to attend following monthly shoots to try to get more points and it took the struggle off the gun club to try and figure out what in the world to buy for trophies.

This could be done using Cabela’s or Dick's catalog (or some other) as the club would order the items once enough points were generated by an individual as the club would be placing the value per point based on their budget for trophies.

10. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Neal beat me to it, but I was going to suggest prepaid gift cards at sporting goods places perhaps restaurants, major outlet chains, etc.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I got a gift card to Gander Mountain.

By the way the Gander Mountain Store in Reynoldsburg, Ohio just went to all guns, remodeled and store is full of racks w/guns, and glass cases full of hand guns.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. Matt Colman

Matt Colman Member

A lot of other shooting sports are using medals with ribbons. I have checked some of these and are nice they can be different sizes, metals and shapes even your state logo. I was considering this for our State Shoot this year instead of the same old stuff. What do you think?

Matt

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The engraved beltbuckles are popular here. Lindenawards.com is a good one. Bill

14. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Multi-Lakes Gun Club in Michigan used to give away subscripitons to Trap and Field magazine as prizes, thought it was a great idea.

Joe McGorman

15. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

2 1/2 inches long and 1/2 to 3/8 high with stick stuff on the back. still have a bunch. I really think that people like prizes they can take home. Shells get shot up and disappear and money is not remembered. Yes silver plate stuff goes n the drawer. A gift card for the grocery store works but something people can put their hand on are remembered. How about a small battery clock with a tag like this on it. I have one from many years ago in my camper and still remember the day I won it. Expensive is not always the answer. Useful is one thing. Kitchen appliances. electric carving knife, coffee maker, flashlight, shooting bag of some kind but mark it with the event so they person remembers what it was for

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

One of my favorites is a Glass trophy with Champion, Texas State Trapshoot and the date and location and class won. It was from the National Shooting Complex in San Antonio, Texas. On the bottom it has Glass Blasters 1-909-676-7190 and 1-888-84-blast. This one is about 1 1/4 inch thick and 6 1/4 inch tall.

I also have a 4 inch round, flat with a little bevel around it, glass trophy about 3/16 inch thick from the Southwestern Grand, marked with Singles Champion and location, same as above, but is not very attractive. Is most likely from same company as listed above. Also, cost wise, probably could be used in a league shoot.

Another favorite is a wooden target from Iowa Park Trapclub and it has the class won in. On back it has BJD Engraving 2515 10th. St., Wichita Falls TX 76301 940-322-1014. Cost wise this might work better for a small league.

Another favorite is a bronze sculpture of a hunting dog from the South West Zone Singles from the San Antonio Gun Club. Very very nice trophy.

I won a Moore pocket knife and really like looking at it. No, I do not carry one like that but was a nice prize.

I too do not care for my silver plates. My ATA plate that look more like brushed metal is more attractive. Then again I like my ATA bowl too.

I also wanted to win a big bag until I did. Used it once and found I did not like to carry it. It does look good though. Also smaller carry bag was liked better and the leather and cloth 4 box shell holders were not wanted by me. Bags and carriers are stacked top shelf of closet.Just my thoughts.

I have a couple of gold coins and am thinking of selling them. I remember the shoots where they were won but since it is not on the coin I feel no attachment to them and gold is up now.

In one league I shot in there were multiple prizes to choose from. Shells, Winchester nylon 4 box holders, cleaning kits, hats, shooting towels, etc. etc. etc. Seems as there was even a rod and reel. There was the same number of prizes as shooters. Each member was given a ticket and matching ticket was put in a hopper. After the league dinner there was a drawing and the first number drawn got choice of prizes and than drew the second number. That person then picked from the remainder prizes and drew the next number. This went on till all numbers had been drawn and all prizes were gone. Every league shooter went home with something. I do not remember what I received but it was fun and interesting.

I too think the prize or trophy should have the shoot, where won, on it. Put something on it to remember where it was won. When you get older memories will be all you have left. Ray

17. glenns

glenns Member

I like the idea of having something referencing the shoot you won the prize at. Club name, year, category.

18. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

We're gonna do what glenns suggests. 2nd year of a Spring League. last year had 28 shooters with a team format that broke down. Bought 23 trophies up front (wood bird style with club and trophy designation with stand). Spent $338. on trophies. $20.00 entry and $4.00 per round targets. 10 week league last year x 50 targets a week.

This year costs are the same but is an 8 week league. Awarding 16 nice trophies and 14 free rounds of trap. Trophies showing 2013 FCSC League, Event/Award , Date and Name. Total trophy, target package will cost the club $250 to payback to 23 shooters. Also throwing $1.00 green birds (one per hundred) the entire 8 week league. We're a two trap club trying to make things interesting for friendly competion.

With 25-30 shooters, the Club will make $400 or so and almost all shooters will get a reasonable payback.

We're ordering trophies after the fact to personalize with Names and not have those extra unawarded trophies that simply cost the club money.

I've also started buying trophies at yard sales. After retrofitting with new plates and top piece, they can help on a league or youth shoot. Actually older trophies tend to be better made with better materials.

Hope the ideas keep coming, small clubs need them!

Eddie Quire

19. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

At this year's Buckeye shoot in June at the Cardinal Center they will give gift cards from Cabelas as trophies. A new store is opening on March 7 at the second exit south of the club on 71. I believe that the Cardinal is giving away over 10 grand in cards. The program will be out soon, so details to follow.

Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
price money for trap shooting
prize ideas for trap shooting
prize mobey for skeet shooting

skeet prize money

skeet shoot prizes

spring national trap shooting prizes

trap shoot prizes

trap shooting prizes