1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap shooting prices outta sight!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shamlin, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shamlin

shamlin Member

I am in the process of moving from Central Florida to San Antonio Texas. I found a really nice club that shoots mainly skeet, but has a few guys that shoot trap. I went into the club to check on membership fee's, round prices, etc and did I ever get sticker shock! They want $9.00 per round non-members, and $6.50 per round members! That is almost double the price of the Silver Dollar in Tampa. I am seriously thinking about putting the gun away while I do everything possible to move to a more trap-friendly shooting state. I cannot see the justification for any club to charge fee's like that. It is no wonder that the sport is taking a beating when you have prices like that and the economy where it is today. I don't see Texas having an economy that is so much better to justify $9.00 per round prices!

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I agree that is high . But I guess some pay it I myself will not .

Here in Indiana one Club has went to $6.00 for a round of practice (I don,t shoot it anymore) .

A club close to me is $3.50 and alot nice ??

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Yeah, that is crazy. I don't think I would pay it. Heck I don't even pay $3 a round here to shoot pratice anymore. With the price of shot, powder, etc I only shoot registered birds or games. No more going out and shooting a round or 2 for fun or pratice.

4. The Stive

The Stive Member

While it is true that prices are going up, I will not let that stop me from shooting. I will adjust my shooting expenses to fit my budget. I would rather
    shoot less and pick my shoots, than quit. John

5. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

THANK YOU FOR BEING HONEST!

Trap prices are getting outrageous. The big cities in Texas, Houston, Dallas, Austin and San Antonio have very unaffordable Trap. Silver Dollar is far from affordable.

Unfortunately, a lot of the grumps here will tell you to shut up and pay it.

This sport will not grow with Trap prices being so high. If it weren't for Wal-Mart value packs, I'd be out of Trap.

Here's my breakdown of Trapshooting frequency:

$4.00 and under - lots of shooting
    $5.00 to $4.01 - Tolerable, but not preferable. Still shooting.
    Over $5.00, only Trapshooting if I really get the bug.

500 .22s are $20.00, and when I miss, I can see precise where and how far I missed.

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Seems like the targets are prolly less than $.05 each. Wonder what makes the other $6.45 ???

I'm paying $5 at a long established club and have the feeling of borderline gouge, but there is no cheaper place local as in 60-80 miles.

Life in modern times but I'm not shooting 200 targets a day anymore either

Charlie

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

In TX I'm sure you can find another club to shoot in. I'm sure there isn't a shortage of clubs.

8. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

That's the great misconception about the South, Auctioneer. Everyone thinks its this great gun haven, when the reality is that if you want great, affordable, shooting, you head to Ohio.

9. shamlin

shamlin Member

Being originally from Southwestern Ohio, they still have a multitude of clubs that throw $3-4 practices. The Silver Dollar in Tampa throws practices for $4.50 per round. The club in San Antonio throwing $9.00 practices is just plain price gouging! But I have noticed that for everything that Texas brags about...being an outdoorsman's dreamland....you better be ready to PAY! There isn't even much public hunting land; most is private ranches that charge INSANE fee's. Looks like I will be paying the air fair to get on a pane and shoot all the big stuff in Ohio. I bet it will be about the same in the end, when you compare the differences in shooting fee's.

10. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

The Silver Dollar does not charge $4.50. It's $4.50, plus the membership fee. Leaving a debit off the books isn't the best way to calculate cash flow.

When these for-profit businesses charge a "membership fee," it's just front-loaded profit and should be included in the cost of each round.

11. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

Well if we here in San Diego had a place to shoot I would gladly pay $7.00 a round to shoot. Be thankfull that you guys have a place to shoot.

Clyde

12. ewayne

ewayne TS Member

Where can you buy targets for .05 ea? I want 3 trailer loads at that price. Only white Flyer of course. We Trapshooters are picky.

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Shamlin, when you moved to S.A., you actually moved into a great area for shooting.

Shortly, you will be exposed to South Texas Fun shoots, and as nice as SAGC is, and what you get for what you pay, there are plenty of small clubs not far from you.

You might e-mail Mike Hesson, of Victoria Skeet & Trap Club, ( Mike.J.Hessong@usa.dupont.com ) and get a copy of the South Texas Shoots schedule.

And, umm ... yeah, you'll have to drive ... this IS Texas, after all.

Bob

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shooting fees are increasing but not as fast as my taxes.

Pat Ireland

15. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

You think trap is expensive try sporting clays for a while. Then when you go back to trap you will think it is a bargain at any price. And targets are closer to .08 each than .05.

16. Aggie.

Aggie. Member

Shamlin, you might check out the above website. In Particular check with "Bexar Community" gun club. They have always been very reasonable, and they have registered trapshoots, "targets only" every saturday.

17. JOND

JOND TS Member

Well I guess Texans brag that EVERYTHING in Texas is bigger! Must be true. JOND

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

shootlow- She a breaks many more hundreds than I do, hundred dollar bills that is. She shops for antiques while I shoot. I get dropped off at clubs around 8:00 AM and she comes back for me around 5:30. She grabs Trap and Field first and decides where I want to shoot and that is always where she wants to shop.

Pat Ireland

19. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Trap shooting is more expensive than playing golf---I do both and I'll tell you that I enjoy both but golf is a better deal---I played yesterday(golf)
    $38.00 golf and cart
    $ 6.00 gamble loss but loss pd for 2 beers--we put loss on the bar
    --------
    $44.00 total---4 hrs exercise---

Trap
    $20.00--4 boxs shells
    $16.00--targets
    ------------

$36.00 total and that is just practice---no beer--no exercise and only 1 hr of fun---

Just a thought---gL---sjb---

20. potatodigger1

potatodigger1 Member

Two of the closest clubs to me are $8 and $11.50 per round (non-member), with no junior rates. My son shoots alot more than I do these days. If I want to drive a ways junior rounds can be had for $4 per round for my son. Matt in Minnesota.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.