1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap shooting on TV

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by al391claybuster, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al391claybuster

al391claybuster TS Member

After reading the threads about promoting trap shooting on TV, I wrote to Jim Scoutten, host and producer of Shooting USA. This program airs on the Outdoors Channel.

Here is the message I sent to him; Hi Jim, there's a lot of talk about trap shooting is a dying sport. Most of the talk is about ATA registered targets. How would someone or group promote their sport through TV? I have many ideas for a trap shooting show, but like everyone else, money is the problem. Do you feel there might be a market for trap shoots such as the Grand to be produced? Any thought on this would be great. Thanks for your time, David.

This his reply I received back; David:

As we say in the business… nothing happens until somebody sells something.

We’ve attempted to cover the Grand American in our show series, but found the ATA trap shooters were too distracted by a camera behind them to compete on TV. So if the sport is dying, it will happen without TV attention.

By comparison, the Sporting Clays organization can not wait to have us down for their nationals. We’ll likely do that this year in our shows.

Are there sponsors to support a national TV show on ATA Trap, if they would shoot for cameras? I’ve never found that many sponsors with the required cash, and we’ve been at this 17 years.

Jim

I sent him a reply, and I will follow up when I get a response back. One of my ideas for attracting media attention to trap shooting, is to get involved with the programs dealing with the returning solders from war. We need to draw the attention of the public, and it's not all about big money prizes. Draw that attention with a program honoring those great people that are risking their lives so we can shoot trap. Just my thoughts, Thanks David

2. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

These are not spectator friendly events, even moreso when translated through a two dimension tv screen. Trap is especially susceptible to being boring...even Herb Parsons recognized that trying to keep the attention of a live audience by shooting the same target presentations over and over again (and hitting them) was not a financially viable marketing tool.

Does anyone remember the shooting shows back on ESPN in the early to mid 90s? There was a show called Star Shot. It was shot at night on a lighted field against a zoned grid of sectors with varying assigned points.

That was as about as viewer friendly as I've ever seen a shotgun sport get. Unfortunately all traces of this show have apparently been wiped from the face of the earth.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I once, in the mid to late 80's, happened to meet a sports editor for USA/Gannet publishing Co. I asked him why they had never covered the largest trapshooting event in the world. He said, " I've never heard of it, tell me more" so I did.

I stayed in contact with him from January to August and tried to get the ATA's media guy at the time to work with USA Today's sports dept. USA Today did send a reporter but said that he didn't even receive a press kit or any attention at all from the ATA media guy who was really just the on-grounds photographer in Vandalia.

There was no article written.

4. TjayE

TjayE Member

I always liked the Star Shot TV shows. There would be two teams shooting off against each other. The teams usually consisted of two shooters each, a TV celebrity and an All American Trap Shooter. Tom E.

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Probably two of the most boring sports to watch is Golf and Tennis. They seem to have no trouble keeping an audiance.

If you watch golf you will see the golfer hit the ball and see his full swing plus his finished stance while watching the ball. On the side screen you will see the ball in flight and land, roll and stop. Plus you hear the crowd.

What trap I seen on tv or on recorded tape all you see is someone shooting and an acasional puff of smoke where the bird is hit. Very little noise and no sound from spectators. If you had the follow thru of the shooter with a side picture of the bird showing the missees and hits and a very good anouncer. I'm sure the show would meet with some sucess. Remember what makes the show is the sponsors able to sell their product and to do theat you need ratings.

But most of all to promote the sport it needs to be worked into our schools with the young. We are soon going to run out of the old then their wont be enough to keep it going. b12

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The only trap I have ever seen on tv was the olympics.. It to me was pretty interesting, they used some different type of clays then we do and when hit a pretty good plume of smoke would be seen..

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Starshot had some good impact on introducing the world to clay target shooting. I always enjoyed watching Bonillas on the program. Do any remember others that shot? Both celebs and all americans?

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I have to disagree with B12 on this one . I do think Trap Shooting on a TV screen would be boring after a half hour but Womens Golf and Womens Tennis are a great afternoon past-time for me so maybe if they would show some young women shooters on TV , that might be a start for our Weekend Sports Watch .

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

If you will notice, almost every billards tournament on tv is women..

10. Mr. D

Mr. D Member

"ATA trap shooters were too distracted by a camera behind them to compete on TV"

Well there is your answer.

11. Willus

Willus TS Member

I am not a ATA shooter,but I shoot about 10,000 to 12,000 targets per year.

I belong to a very nice skeet and trap club in mid Illinois.

I have been going to the grand for 20 years.

I like Sparta, why. I said I am not a ATA shooter, I enjoy the atmosphere, vendors, and the other shooting opportunities there are at Sparta.

With that said here is my two cents; First we need to PROMOTE SHOOTING SPORTS, from that shooters will expand. I have talked to our BD members, on differant ways to draw SHOOTERS to our club, if it does not involve ATA (16yrd., handicap, or doubles) they tell all the ways it will not work. With out CLUB sponsored fun shoots, you will loose shooters. (We have a paid Club Manager) I have seen the same type of negative commits on these posts. These poeple have the ability to tell us what will not work, BUT have no ideas as to what will save the ATA, the CLUB etc.

The intersting thing, at our club the biggest money maker of the year, is the "Summer League". You do not have to be a member of the CLUB, and there are no ATA rules that apply. Just lots of shooters having a good time.

12. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

"ATA trap shooters were too distracted by a camera behind them to compete on TV"

"Well there is your answer."

I must raise the BS flag on that one. I can't immagine any top-level shooter, or most of the rank and file give a damn about what is going on behind them as long as whatever it may be is quiet.

Guy Babin

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Barry..... I remember watching Jimmy Heller and Dan Orlich on Star Shot... Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

...what a bunch of self-styled prima donnas. "I can;t shoot in front of cameras...waah-booh-hoo...sniff,,,"

Wonder how the pro-bowlers do it then - talk about pressure. The trap pros must have no capacity for talent-under-pressure. I would call that a pretty hollow sportsman. I wonder when at what point young or old Olypian's learn how to compete in front of the camera: skaters, gynmists, etc. True talent under pressure. Not fake, trap shooter talent. Jeez...hopefully no-one on this forum falls into that category:^)

Wait a minute - maybe the operative term is 'pro'??? After all, ATA is all about 'amatuers':^)

15. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

There are many things that could be done, to increase the enjoyment of the spectator, if the ATA was to get behind getting TV support. I would like to see a poll of the "top" shooters, regarding the impact of cameras on their concentration. TV coverage would also depend on the commentator. The game could be made more interesting, but support must come from the ATA and the "Big Boys" if it is to start. I would prefer to see some changes in the sport rather than see it die.

Golf and Trap have many aspects in common, particularly concentration; somehow they make millions with the camera watching.

JON

16. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

I was involved as a Shotgun Referee for the ESPN Sportsman's Team Challenge and ESPN Great Outdoor Games. Jack Robertson current ATA Aim Director, was with the NSSF at the time and worked as either a Tournament Director or Shoot Director for both of these events. The Team Challenge was sponsored by Chevy Truck and they invested fairly large sums of money ( for our sport) in putting on a class shoot.
    All the major firearms, ammunition, and leaders in the shooting industry all were sponsors of the Team Challenge. There were a number of publications as well. All the events for the team challenge were specifically invented by NSSF to make them interesting for TV. All the events were timed. There was not a rifle, pistol, or clay target that was not hittable, yet put the timer on the event and the pressure of being on a team and it made it exciting to shoot and watch. (Flurries of 50 targets in a or so.)

Once NSSF decided to move away from the STC they were approached to work with ESPN for the Great Outdoors Games. We had to invent games that were similar to Starshot but it had to be different as there was a license fee that had to be paid to Starshot. The sponsors for the GOG in Lake Placid were large outdoor companies like Stihl chainsaws and dog food companies. The cost to shooting companies would have been cost prohibitive at the going rates for advertising. It would be tough to get lots of support unless the advertsing were more reasonable.

Bob Gibson

17. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I can't think of anything more boring to put on TV than maybe darts, curling or the Chosen One's State of the Union speech/

MK

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm with you MK, I love shooting trap but it is not a spectator sport.

19. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

It can be done and it can be interesting.

What NOBODY wants to see is a bunch of duffers shooting 16 yard singles.

But you start talking about quality shooters at 27 yards with a barrel mounted camera and flash targets and sophisticated software to track the shot and target so we can see the relationship of both with stills of impact or misses and break distance from launch or elapsed time - now you're talking.

I would LOVE to see that.

It would be a live version of DryFire.

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Watching trap as shot today would be too boring for any TV audience. Who'd want to watch long enough for Leo to miss in a shoot-off? A better question might be; who'd pay for the privilege?

As Bob G. said, it would have to be made interesting to watch or sell. Watching 1100 targets smoke wouldn't sell too well with any TV crowd.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are there any trap shooting shows on tv

espn starshot

starshot trap games

starshot tv series

starshot tv show

starshot tv show champing clay shooting

starshot tv show clay shooting

trap shooting tv show