1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooting Lessons

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

For my birthday this month, I was gifted with a check from my parents to be spent on trapshooting lessons. They know I wish to do much better. May I have some recommendations regarding whom to see? I do live on the West Coast, but have saved my own money for one round trip plane ticket to almost anywhere.

Thanks

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

How long have you've been shooting, averages?

3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why don't you call Daro Handy in Oregon. He is probably one of the best. He sure was one of the best shooter's. Hope this helps, Roy

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Been shooting for three years, C class, 20 yard line. It's frustrating not to progress at my relatively younger age of 41. Thanks.

5. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

I am not sure but I believe either Nora Ross or Leo Harrison will be conducting a clinic prior to the New Years Shoot at Redlands. You might call
    Redlunds and see what is available. Either would be a great learning experience. - Jim

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Is Nora any relation to Phil Ross; I heard that there were two shooters in California that did very well with the last name of Ross.

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Chango2,

Some general comments. You probably are not going to improve very much unless you are shooting upwards of 10,000 rounds per year. Further, you will not benefit very much from the high level, intense instruction you get in a 1 or 2 day seminar unless you are shooting at that volume. It is just like golf or anything else, you just have to do a lot of it to develop muscle memory and concentration.

If you have been shooting 10,000+ per year, it seems that you must have some pretty fundamental issues that need to be addressed. Stuff like gun fit, gun mount, vision, stance, etc. While these are covered in the one day courses, it may be too much to take away and establish some consistancy.

I would suggest that you seek out a relatively close by SCTP coach and have him review your fundamentals. Most of them are really good at setting a shooter up with a good foundation. He can work with you over a period of weeks to establish good form and help you with problem targets. Once you are sure your fundamentals are correct you should see some improvement. Then, take a top level course to find some fine tuning opportunities.

I have done both and I am pleased with the result.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I believe that Nora Ross is from Kentucky. She is one of the top lady shooters in the nation. Although I've never taken her course I've heard that it is one of the best. I've taken a Harlen Campbell course and it is top notch also. Look in the back of Trap & Field and you will find others also. All good courses.

Bill

9. redix

redix TS Member

Call: Bud Macdougal- (503) 319 5063 or Moe Bragg-1 800 323 7940, both in Portland OR,
    or Chuck Dryke- (360) 683 5631 (http://www.sunnydellshootinggrounds.com/index.htm), in Sequim WA.

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I don't think that it is a waste of time if you don't shoot 10k a year either. Any good instructor can help you progress, IF you will listen, take notes, and implement.

Now, if you are going to take lessons from someone local, make sure that they have a higher average than you do and don't look funny on the line. I have seen some sctp coaches that have taught some pretty strange things. Overly exaggerated movements, waving the gun all about the place prior to calling for the bird, and stances that would amaze a contortionist.

Just be careful who you take lessons from, there is sometimes a reason folks don't charge. Harlan, Frank, Leo, Kay, Nora, Rickey, can't go wrong.

Good luck, John

11. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Change 2 - They are not related. Phil Ross and his father, George were both great shooters from California. I believe they both were named to the All American Team in the same year.

Nora Ross is as posted above is from Kentucky. Her maiden name "Nora Martin". Looking at her accomplishments over the years, she is without a doubt the greatest women shooter to compete in this great sport. - Jim

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Chango2:

A number of fine instructors have already been listed. However, no list would be complete without Phil Kiner, Cheyenne, Wy.

sissy

13. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

After shooting for six months, after a forty year lay off, I signed up for Kay Ohye. May 2008. No ego going in.

Best,
    Dennis

14. Bills girl

Bills girl TS Member

leo will be in san diego feb 08

15. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Shoot sporting clays for a month. It will help your trap game.

16. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Save your money! Spend it on girls! Go out and start shooting.....I bet you will be surprised how much you will learn ON YOUR OWN in a very short time! It ain't really all that big a deal, as some would have you think! I just shot 500 straight.....I'm qualified to tell you this!

17. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo Harrison will be in San Diego in Feb and at the Silver Dollar in Florida in March. You can email me at the address above if you want details. He works with all levels of experience. He has a policy: if you fail to pass his class you get your money back, but keep in mind he has an extremely high success rate with students. You can also call our house 573-985-8237.

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

MIA.....No! It was 500 STRAIGHT!

Having someone like Leo teach you is,of course, a nice thing........but,as I said, I question just how NECESSARY it might be in all cases! For someone who doesn't know one end of a gun from the other,or who doesn't have much ability to learn something without someone else holding their hand and guiding their every movement, then I would surely recommend it....and I would recommend Leo first, if possible!

Chango2.....I forgot one VERY important thing.......Read a good book on trapshooting to understand the basics BEFORE you do to much shooting. That will speed things along once your start doing some serious shooting......THEN, be SURE you gun fits you, or it will all be for naught!

19. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

How on gods green earth could somebody tell someone they are wasting they're time getting some lessons??? Thats the dumbest statement I've ever heard. A good coach can find your weakness' and help with small or big stuff you may be doing wrong. Alot of times you just need some pointers and an atta boy to boost your confidence and improve your scores. take the lessons and shoot your ass off, practice, practice , practice. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

20. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Chango2,

Spend the money for shooting lessons, best move you can make. Any of the ones mentioned above are good. I have taken one from Hoppe and Kiner, both very good. My wife has taken one from Nora, she works very hard at her class too!!

Getting off to a good start with knowing all the right things to do is a big plus. Then you can go out to the practice trap with a purpose and work on your game.

You never stop learning in this game, work hard and the results will follow.

Dennis Menning

Northern Kentucky Scholastic coach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.