1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooting In Prescott, AZ

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TomJ, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJ

TomJ Member

I am thinking about relocating to Prescott, AZ and am wondering how active the trap shooting community is in the area, i.e., number of clubs in the area, number of registered shoots, etc. Would appreciate any feedback and, if possible, names of people to contact. Thanks
    Tom

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

There is a club in Prescott Valley,

I know where it is right of the main Highway,

That said, they held one of the Western shoots there until four to six years ago. At that point the skeeters started to throw a Sh** fit about not being able to shoot at all three or four weekends out of the year. They made such a stink that the trap guy's walked away from the smell.

They have not had an ATA date since then, I don't know if they throw practice or league.

AL

Ben Avery is just off I-17 about an hour and a half away, it is run by AZ fish and game

3. 97STR

97STR TS Member

Prescott Trap and Skeet Club is located on HWY 69 in Prescott Valley. The club is open Tues.,Thurs,Sat and Sun. There is usually a spring and fall trap league. There are no ATA shoots at this time.

Ben Avery in Phoenix has ATA shoot as does Kingman and Lake Havasu.

Big As is full of it. The ATA shoots were stoped because ther was not enough help. Come on out an enjoy.

4. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Not enough help?? Prescott Trap & Skeet Club didn't even run the ATA shoots.

I attended nearly every shoot that was held there for the last 5-6 years that they had shoot dates. They always had plenty of help. The shoots were well attended and well run.

Al is not the one that is full of it.

5. bgf

bgf Active Member

Well,

Seems everyone knows the inner workings of our club.

Yes, we had plenty of help for our ATA shoots...and it cost us dearly.

Jennifer from Red Mountain ran the last two years [I think] of our shoots. Pricey it was.....

We had some disgrunted skeet shooters but that was not the reason we stopped ATA shoots. Long gone previous BOD members screwed up our fine volunteer help which lead to us having to hire outside help to run the shoots.

Bottom line...it was not cost effective for our club.

I tried my dammdest to keep the shoots to no avail.

The club is doing just fine without ATA.

Bernie Faulkner,
    Past club Treasurer & Trap League Host.

6. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Tom,
    I sent you a private message. I believe it will be a BIG help to you.
    Joe Jordan

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bernie,

The members up at the club ran the shoots until some of the other members claimed that those running the shoots were not paying for their shooting ... There was never a shortage of shooters or help until the accusations started flying ... The members who were involved with the running of the club quit running the shoots and it was down hill from there ... The club may be doing fine but they alienated many people because they quit having the shoots, which was due to their own fault and petty BS in the first place ... Joe Henderson, his family, and Roger and Raylene Junkins kept the shoots running smoothly and got treated like crap from some of the other members for doing such a great job ... This was before your time but not all that long ago ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

Bernie,

I do not pretend to know the inner workings of your club, nor do I care to. I already know everything I need to know about PTSC.

97STR seems to be involved in some way with your club and stated that the shoots were "stoped" due to a lack of help. That could not be further from the truth.

I'm sure the club is fine without ATA shoots, but managed to alienate an entire segment of their customer base that obviously was willing to travel hours to frequent your club.

I do know that you were given an opportunity to make money on the shoots (maybe not as much as you would like?) by doing nothing more than unlocking the gates.

9. bgf

bgf Active Member

WPT,

I agree with most of what you say. You know me personally and you also know that I am a stand-up guy [pun intended] and what you see is what you get.

Having said that, wounds run deep with the ATA shooters that participated in our club in the past. But, it is in the past and before my time…I can’t undo what happened.

I know the Jenkins…I visited with George last week. They were and still are a great couple that put in a lot of work for our ATA. They did not deserve to be treated and spoke about the way they were. But, that was then and this is now. I do not know Joe Henderson.

I remember when we was told that our club would be out of business by now. After 35+ years we are still here and doing well. Profanity was used toward me from some members of this board when I was not even involved in the “good ol’ boys club” that caused all the problems. Thank God they are long gone and not around. Our SCTP program is doing very good. We host our local Senior Olympics and it is well attended. My trap Leagues are also doing well on Tuesday nights although the economy has had it’s impact. The Skeet league is holding it’s own.

MX/MT,

Quote: “I do know that you were given an opportunity to make money on the shoots (maybe not as much as you would like?) by doing nothing more than unlocking the gates.”

I wish I lived in a simple world as you do. There is a heck of a lot of more work than just ‘unlocking the gates’. The last two years of our ATA shoots we ran in the red. When I was on the BOD we ran the club like a business and consequently we have been in the black ever since. Heck, our leagues make more $$.

Regarding the original post, PTSC is a nice place to shoot. We have trap, skeet and five stand/fietac[sp?]. We are open four days a week.

Regard,
    Bernie

10. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

My world's no simpler than yours, Bernie. The story changes every time it's told.

You seem to 'disremember' that you were not going to have to run the shoots. The club was to be paid on a per-target basis.

No matter, you're happy with your current situation. Somehow though, other clubs seem to be able to make money holding registered trap shoots.

How can a Board member of a shotgun sports club not know that it's FITASC?? Wow. This is beginning to make more sense.

11. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

A question was asked,

I put down what I did kmow and what I had heard from a large number of shooters, at the time that the Western Zone was dropped up there.

The good LORD Knows that if I had gone by what My dad experienced at the Club I call my home club, back in '79 or '80, I would have stayed far far away. Those G. D. SKEETERS (at least a large klic, that had to much pull), back then tried pretty hard to ruin a great club, and from what some close friends that where there before and after have said beat the club down pretty good.

But that is ancient history and I have had many great times in the 6 years I have been shooting at the same club.

So things change for good or bad, or form good to bad and back to good ETC.....

I would love to be able to shoot a ATA event at the Prescott Trap and Skeet Club.

The one thing is though Might/did offend by repeating what was said at the time by a great many people that talked like they shot all the ATA dates there that they could.

PROVE ME WRONG............................................

Hold a, ATA shoot!

Al Lingham

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bernie,

I understand what you are saying but can tell you that before you got involved the place had to be a money maker based on the attendance numbers ... The changes that have transpired over the years may of had a negative impact on the clubs ability to stay in the black when it came to registered shooting but it sure was a great place to shoot and the club members were exceptional that were involved in running the shoots ... That was then and this is now, so its another club that has eliminated a source of income or a loss which ever it turned out to be, this is par for the new course we are all traveling in a struggleing economy ... I wish you and the club well, but will miss shooting up there all the same ... Stay safe and be well ... Respectfully, WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Heckyea

Heckyea TS Member

I've gone up there on three different occasions and every time the people there were not friendly at all. I have yet to fire a shot there and probably never will.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Screw Prescott, we need another place to shoot in Phoenix.

15. Hauser

Hauser Member

Bernie

Prescott was going to be paid .03/target with no expense incurred except the club's electricity.

Your club threw 183000+ ATA registered targets in 2003 so I'm puzzled by your statement it wasn't cost effective. $5500 for counting the targets thrown at the end of each day seems like reasonable compensation.

Jerry Hauser

16. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

What's the matter Bernie, cat got your tongue?

You can BS some of the people some of the time....

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bernie,

If the club is breaking even and going to be around for awhile for the members, thats all that matters ... There are places (Business's) closing all over the place on a daily basis due to the economy and if them eliminating the ATA events has stopped the loss's then thats just the way it "had" to be ... The Tribe pulled the plug on Red Mountain and didn't explain anything to anyone, I suggest you do the same ... I know you and have no doubt your intentions are honorable ...
    All the best to you and the club ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. JEB

JEB Active Member

I believe that the question was about trap shooting in and around Prescott. My wife and I spent two weeks there this past winter. We must have shot 5 or 6 times at Prescott Trap and Skeet. We were well received and met some nice people. It's a little pricy, but so are many other places. The background was blue sky not bushes and scruffy pines like we have back east. I know nothing about past politics, but it was a great place to shoot. We also shot at Ben Avery, about an hour and a quarter away and a fantastic facility, and in the Arizona Chain at Casa Grande, maybe two hours if the traffic is with you. In fact my wife ran her first hundred there and they treated her like a queen.

We too are considering Prescott for some time in the future and it's nice to know that there is a club right there.

JEB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ata trap shooting events arizona

prescott valley gun club

shooting range prescott valley

trap and skeet clubs around prescott az

trap clubs close to prescott az
trap shooting prescott valley
trap shoots in arizona
trap shot prescott az