1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooting in Phoenix, AZ

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TomJ, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomJ

TomJ Member

I am seriously thinking about relocating to Phoenix and am wondering if there is an active trap shooting community in the area, specifically, where are trap ranges located and any other information that would be helpful. I looked on the ATA site, it didn't look all that encouraging. Thanks
    Tom

2. emjake

emjake TS Member

Check out http://www.aztrap.com

Ben Avery rapidly becoming one of the best ranges in the SW.
    Tucson Trap & Skeet and Casa Grande very active in winter months.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you want to go to Tucson, they have a good club. Phx does not. I lived there 1998 2001 and I hear ben Avery is changing but it sure sucked back then. Red Mnt closed. You wont find much there for the size of the area. I loved AZ as both of us love hot weather but it was the worst area to find shooting clubs I ever experienced and I have lived in 8 states

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ben Avery will soon be the premiere shooting facility in the Southwest and all of Arizona ... They will even have a bunker if thats is of interest to you and will be expanding the club in the near future ... Besides trap and skeet they have rifle (up to 1000 yds), pistol, and just about anything else you can think of ... If you have never been there you will love it and if you have been and didn't like it, you should see it now ..! WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

WPT - that is good to hear, it always did have a lot of potential, just needed to be managed

6. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

TomJ

"I looked on the ATA site, it didn't look all that encouraging."

I am a bit confused where did you look on the ATA site. I looked and I see plenty of activity in the entire state. Or maybe they have to be with in five minutes of the back door?

Bob Lawless

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Avery club also has 50 full hook up RV spots and soon will have another 45 or 50 depending on who you talk to ... They have a Sporting Clays course that gets a lot of traffic even when they don't have a registered shoot and the club house has been completely redone with a full kitchen and expanded pro shop ... Since Arizona Game and Fish has taken control of the facility you wouldn't believe whats been done in the way of improvements and they are still working on it ... I love the fact that its only 14 miles from my front door to the parking lot and half of the trip is open desert so very little traffic ... The people who work there even speak ENGLISH so you can talk to them and they will understand what you are saying and vice versa ... (lol) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

TomJ,

Check out the States website, you'll get a lot better information ... (Aztrap.com) has all of the shoot schedules, clubs, and just about anything else you would want or need to know, I think you'll be a lot more encouraged ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I just got back from the shoot today up at Ben Avery, they had a skeet shoot on one half of the club and trap shoot on the other half and it came off without a hitch ... They separated the shooters with the club house and everyone got along as if they were all just a bunch of shooters instead of skeeters and trappers on the patio at lunch time ... I guess you had to be there but a good time was had by all ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Now that's making good use of a facility! Looking forward to seeing you there this winter WPT (YAC), Bob (YMC)

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bob,

You can bet on it and I'll buy lunch ... I had a ball up there, didn't shoot all that good but was shooting a new gun so there is room for improvement, so I have that to look forward to also ... In the mean time I will be getting in some extra practice ... See you there ...

Besides the skeet and trap shooting going on they had a full slate on the sporting clays courses from what I could see also ... I guess everyone quit worrying about the economy for one day, the place was packed ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. JEB

JEB Active Member

My wife and I will move to Prescott shortly from New York State. One of the first things that we checked on is trap clubs. Ben Avery is a world class facility as is Tucson. Casa Grande, about an hour south of Phoenix is a real nice club with plenty of registered shoots, and Prescott also has a good setup, but no registered shoots. No shortage of good places and real nice people.

John Bergman

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The problem with Ben Avery is the lack of registered shooting dates. When Red Mountain was tomahawked by the Indian Community most of the dates were taken by Casa Grande. Casa Grande is well run and by very nice folks who know how to make you welcome BUT it has a difficult background. I like to shoot there but I wish Ben Avery had taken more of the old Red Mountain dates.

Ben Avery is a world class facility and they have been smart enough to hire highly experienced folks who know everything necessary to run ATA shoots. I would just like to see them have more of them.

My only other complaint is the lack of food service. They do have a gentleman who grills a mean brisket sandwich and other meats but only when they have a registered shoot of some kind. I used to go to Red Mountain, every day they were open, to shoot some practice and have lunch. You could always depend on the kitchen to be open ( I miss Jennifer and Bernie ) and they had a nice variety of food and snacks.

The State has, by expanding Ben Avery, done a wonderful job of providing trap, skeet, SC, long range rifle, pistol, etc, etc in a top shooting complex that many, many types of shooters enjoy.

In a better economy it would be an excellent opportunity to open another club in the Greater Phoenix area (perhaps in the Chandler area or other south eastern site), if BA is going to continue to underuse the trap portion of the facility. Red Mountain threw so many targets that they earned an award from White Flyer Targets for being one of the top ten clubs in the US . Maybe we can find a Surgar Daddy or Mommy to build it for us.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Barry,

The people at Ben Avery are in the process of expanding the trapline considerably, not sure what the plans are for sure but can't imagine they plan on sitting still in the waters ... They are in the middle of putting in another 45+ plus RV spots to accommidate more shooters and that means more traps also to make it all work like it should ... The people up at Avery seem to have a pretty good handle on things as they are and they have every intention of it getting bigger and better in the future ... Wait until you see it you will be pleasantly surprised, I know I was ... The place runs smooth as Kentucky Bourbon for the most part and cannot help but get better with age ... They had food on the patio and Carmelitta's catering serving up some Mexican Delights that looked pretty damn good ... Talk to them and take over the Kitchen that they have inside and that'll cure that problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Barry C. Roach

That's great Bill. Looking forward to a bigger and better club. I felt like a member at Red Mountain but Ben Avery doesn't give you that feeling. The girls at the desk in the clubhouse always act like they've never seen me before. The same with the outside help. It's not like I'm not there at least a couple days a week. I hope that changes.

It's not anyone else's responsibility but the Arizona Fish and Game's to provide food service for the facility. All it takes is an ad in Craig's List or in the newspapers. They're not trying hard enough.

I prefer Kentucky Sour Mash Whisky, thank you.

16. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

With the closing of Red Mountain it has left a void.
    I think Arizona clubs are regrouping.
    It takes time.
    Tucson has come to the plate. so has Casa Grande. This all takes time.
    Ben Avery has a beautiful facility.

Joe Woods/Ontario

17. 97STR

97STR TS Member

TomJ, I just finished a two-day shoot at Ben Avery. Everything was first rate. All the squads got off on time, the staff were working hard to keep everything moving. I ate off of Carmelitta's Catering and the food was great. Ben Avery is fast becomming a top notch facility.

18. Barry C. Roach

Good to know, thanks.

19. TomJ

TomJ Member

Thanks to everyone for your comments. Tom

20. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Another vote for Ben Avery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page