1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap shooting help needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

How can U hit 18 in a row then miss 3 in a row---how can U hit 23-24-22-18---
    gun fit on the good scores---I feel I do everything the same on every shot--
    I don't feel tired at the end of the 100---I have the best guns avail---
    I have seen many people take lessons and not too much improvement----Just venting and looking 4 some ans---Thanks---

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You started to think about what you were doing and counting your score before it was in.

One target at a time.

ss

3. The Stive

The Stive Member

Just keep shooting. You will improve over time. John

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

southjblue,,your subject title applies to 99% of the ATA members,,not the gun, not the shells,,but look between your ears,,,all of a sudden it will hit you.

We've all been there done that,,hang in there and figure out what you were thinking about after that first "LOST",, STOP IT!!!!!

Come back and thank me latter,,jim

5. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Short Shucker

This post kinda woke me up,my son in law being a new shooter is going thru the same thing with his scores.
    Starts off pretty fair and goes down hill from there.Im gonna give him your advice.---ONE AT A TIME!!!!!!!!!Your right,to much pondering.Thanx

Sandy Holehouse

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

It's not the gun, or the ammo that breaks the targets. It's what is between your ears, or the lack of it in some cases.

GneJ

7. capvan

capvan Active Member

As he said, it's not the gun, it's not the shells, it's not the choke...

It's the carbon unit interface....

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Jim---how do U stop the mind from thinking---sometimes I'l think to myself i'm going to miss---and I am right---then sometimes i'll think I'll hit it ---wrong---guess I need a shrink---

9. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

1. Determination

2. Commitment

3. Courage

4. Confidence (from Harlan Campbell)

Put that last miss out of your mind and be very aggresive on the next one,,keep telling yourself "I'm gonna smash the next target",,focus,focus,focus,, NO MORE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS,,,

If you ever get the chance take Harlin's or Leo's clinic,,,believe me the answer is between your ears,,,,

By the way, everyone misses even the big dogs, the object is to reduce them,,

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'll bet it's the eye muscles that are getting tired. After four rounds of trap, it's harder for me to focus on the clay, and my scores tank.

There are all sorts of eye exercises. They're probably all good.

Good luck!

LA in MA

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

As you continue to shoot the end of the barrel gets hot and expands, this causes your choke to open up. By the last round your shooting with a skeet choke and missing a lot of targets. Bring a bucket of ice water to the line. Keep the end of the barrel in the bucket between shots. This will keep the choke nice and tight and your scores will go up. HMB

12. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

That choke expansion is the 1st time I ever heare that one---is that true if U have choke tubes?

13. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Are U saying the barrel and the tube expands to a skeet opening?---what does the skeet bores become like when they are shooting?

14. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

First of all Ignore HMB!!! how many buckets of ice water have you seen at the line!

try to come up with a phrase and repeat it over and over, "such as see the bird shoot the bird", or "focus on the bird" or just sing a song in your head, all these will crowd out the bad thoughts!!! repeat in your head "see the bird", just before you call pull....

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have been thinking about a pro 4 lessons---A friend went to KOE and paid 4 a yr of lessons---He is a high B or a low A and is still at the same level---I don't think it is K's fault but just how good are these lessons---Is there anyone out there that can realy say the lessons help?

16. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need your gun cryo'ed. ;-)

Maybe it's target assortment. Are the missed targets the same angles/posts? I've had rounds when I got "all easy ones", guess the opposite could be true as well. Have someone keep notes for 100 targets for you.

17. Kooz25

Kooz25 TS Member

I took the D&D clinic and yes my scores did improve, After 3 years as a ATA shooter I shoot my first 100 straght in compition last year.

Southjblue, keep your head on the wood and your focused on the target

Kooz

18. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Years ago when I averaged 95-96, I had to take my regular gun to get repaired so I took out another and went to the range. Well I broke a 12 ?? Whoa ?? I had someone stand behind me and didn`t see anything wrong !! got a 13 ?? Took out another box of shells and said I`m not going to miss so stay with what you learned and get it done. Broke a 24. Found I was lifting my head both rounds, not much but enough for a 12 and 13 ?? Never happened again. Oh I miss some but not that many. Flinch and poke mostly and seeing how fast I can shoot.

19. samiam03

samiam03 Member

Clear your mind and let the force be with you. n/c

20. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

"Wether you think that you can or think that you can't you are probably right."

Henry Ford

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.