1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trap shooting gripping the for arm

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Sep 11, 2013.

1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

Help I need some advise about gripping the forearm of the gun. I have had a really bad season of trapshooting this year. It seems like Im missing more than what I am hitting these days in trap. One day while shooting a squad mate told me I was stopping the gun. I though I was swinging thru but I gues I was not. I made sure I was below the bird and gave it what I thought was a good leed. I think I may have been thinking to much and watching the barrel and bead and tracking the bird leaading to rifle shooting at the target.

Any how to make a long story short. I shot a fun league lastnight 25 skeet and 25 trap. I was given some free advise that seemed to work for me very well.
    I was told not to grip the forearm, just let it sit in my palm and it would help me to swing the gun better. All I can say it worked wounders, I did not track or watch the bird just swung at it and broke almost all I lost 2 birds which is like a perfect score for me.

They say that you pay thousands for free advise sometimes. Is this a bad habbit that Im getting myself into not gripping the forearm tightly. Or is this the way you should handle the forearm.

Any help would be greaT.

2. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Your front hand should support your Shotgun and your back ( grip/trigger ) hand controls your shotgun in trap. If your front hand chokes the grip like it was your chicken you lose control of your shotgun and your swing slows. Go to the above linked site and download the topic 'Are you Fundamentally Sound' and read the article.

Hope this helps.

Don T

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Don't listen to the guys that say you "are stopping the gun". All shooterrs stop the gun. You need a lesson form someone that can see the shot pod go to the target. have you changed guns or changed you r gun in any way? Lost weight? Gotten older? Eyes OK?

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Grip the forearm about as tightly as if you were holding three raw eggs in the hand supporting the forearm.

Steve

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Keep doing what works. HMB

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Like a golf club, an egg, or your johnson.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Well, two out of three anyway.

Sit back at a shoot and watch a big dog or two. See how they do it..

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The big dogs almost all use a very firm grip. If you hold your gun by the forearm and extend your arm, holding the gun in the air, that is the amount of force you should use to grip your forearm. This has nothing to do with nor does it promote "arm shooting". You will also notice less felt recoil.

It always drives me nuts seeing someone just resting their forearm on their hand. It's what I consider pussyfooting. Hold it like a Man, dammit.

9. Maurice

Maurice Member

Tron, you are wrong, all the big dogs do not use a very firm grip. The leading hand should only support the forend and the trigger/grip hand is the hand that locks the gun into position and the gun swing is controlled by moving the upper body from the hips ( gun shoulders and upper body move as one unit. Gripping the forend firmly results in an individual pushing or pulling the gun instead of moving the gun and upper body as one unit and usually results in a missed target.
    Maurice ( The Brit. )

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Maurice I disagree w/you and I am with Tron on this one, If you do not grip the forearm you have no control.

I have seen shooters holding the Trap gun right up against the receiver forearm
    connection, they have little control of the bbl movement and pointing the gun.

Your forend arm is the guiding of the Bbl to the target.

Try gripping the forend very tightly and then very loosely and then a hold between the two, you will find the firmer grip gives the most control and better scores.

You need to pull the gun into the shoulder and keep your head firmly on the stock for maximum target breaking, this takes practice.

Gary Bryant
    DR.longshot

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Kay Ohye stresses a very firm grip. Anyone here with a loose grip ever beat him!!

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I used to hold the forearm at the end with my index finger & middle finger staddling the button on the end of my forearm.

I went to the style that a lot of European shooters use. My idex finger is on the forearm point foward & parallel to the barrel & my thumb is touching the forcing cone of the barrel. Gloves are a must.

Phil Berkowitz

13. 4N6PE

4N6PE Member

MAH66 got it right, although "tight" on the forearm could be problematic. I asked Phil Kiner about forearm being too active and he recommended pulling in the forearm "somewhat". It locks the upper body, as MAH66 says, and prevents disconnect of the gun from the cheek.

Ned

14. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Lessons with these two went as follows:

Nora Martin Ross: Forearm and stock should have equal pressure.

Dennis DeVault: Forearm should be held loosly and the stock held very firmly.

Go figure,

Doc

15. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Leo always said if you hear the wood creak, you are gripping too tightly.

16. johnboy

johnboy Member

Grip it firmly and rotate, works for me.

17. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Reply to Don T.

I read the link. I then read another one from the same page that went into reading the breaks that was complete nonsense. So, one's left again wondering what is true or false.

Andrew.

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Firm grip on forearm pull gun back into shoulder with both hands. I am very satisfied with my style.

Look I agree with Tron and Longshot.

Don

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It doesn't surprise me that Tron advocates maintaining a "firm grip".

20. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Maybe the grip is different for different shooters.

I can only say, if I start gripping the forearm to tightly, I'll end up having what I call, a forearm flinch.

Just as I get to the bird, my left arm will jerk the gun away from the target, and I'll miss the bird by a bunch.

When this happens, I have to remind myself to loosen the grip and then we go back to breaking (most of) the targets again.

So it may just be "Different strokes for different folks" type of thing.

Hauxfan!

Search tags for this page

grip for trap shooting

proper grip for shotgun trap shooting

proper grip for trap shooting

shotgun for short arm shooters

shotgun grip for trapshooting

should shotgun be held tight for trap shooting

trap shooting gun hold grip

trapshooting forend