1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trap Shooting Drills and Practice Ideas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddeath, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

I have several young kids shooting trap with me. Some are advancing quite quickly others could use a little extra help (they also have not been doing it as long). I have free range at a local gun club to use the trap whenever I wish. I was thinking about taking the boys out for some extra practice. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on some good drills we can try to develop the fundamentals.

Thanks,
    Craig

2. 3357

3357 Member

lock the trap on a legal hard right, start on post 1, shoot five and move to post 2, everybody starts on post 1 and moves to five.

reverse the above drill, lock trap on a legal hard left and everybody starts on post 5 and moves post to post ending on one.

this starts everyone on an almost stright-away target and the angle stepens as they move post to post.I have found this helps prevent being intimidated or rushing hard angled targets for new shooters.

you can also lock the trap on a straight-away from post 3, everybody starts on post 3 shooting five shots each and moving to post 2 then post 1. then start everybody on post 3 again and rotate to post 4 and then 5. this drill teaches the softer angles and overcoming the optical illusions that fool some shooters on the soft angle shots.

emphasize proper stance and hold points and rationale for same. the constant target angle will help them make sense of it all.

hope this helps, its how I practice and instruct new shooters. Jess

3. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I agree with the above but a slightly less hard angle. I like to set it up for a straight away if you stand between 1 and 2. This is basically a doubles target set. Shoot the same, 5 from each post but move the gun around. Once you can hit the targets then start putting the gun off the back corner of the trap but keep the eyes where they ought to be (this changes as you move across the field). Shoot three with the gun off the back right of the house, two off the left and switch as you move across the field. The result of this drill is seeing the bird much quicker and learning that the gun and eyes are separate but once you see the bird, the gun will come to the bird. You can go back to watching the bird run up your barrel and just nail it when it gets to the end. You are now ready to shoot doubles too. You already see how to get that first bird and with the cross up drill you know how to move the eyes to the bird and the gun will follow.

good luck and thanks for coaching the kids!

Courtney

4. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

at a more advanced level shoot 10 birds post 1, 5 birds on post 3 then 10 birds on post 5. Learn the corners, the birds in the middle are strictly a matter of concentration.

5. himark

himark Well-Known Member

lock it as said and start them on post one....then tell them to hold the left side of the trap house even though they know its a hard right... that will help teach them trigger control.

6. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Twinbirds, I like your suggestion. Will try it out at the range.

7. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

Thanks everyone for the ideas! The AIM program is coming to a close for the year but I talked several kids into shooting the winter league. I want to get some quality practices in before the winter hits hard! I will be trying all of these!

Any more Ideas? I am still open.

Thanks again,
    Craig

8. DC Claygunner

DC Claygunner Member

Easy way to start kids is at low house #7 on skeet field. Easy target and they can see the bird details. After they are hitting low 7, shoot high 7. This will teach them to move with the target and have a little lead on the target. They have to see the target and then understand what you mean when you say, lead the target. Let them know themself that they can hit the target, them move to the trap field. I really like the other posts. Good luck, Barry

9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Phil Kiner had us close our eyes on station 3 and call for the bird, then open our eyes and carry on. Purpose is to learn that there's plenty of time to get to the target and break it. If some are anticipating the target this can settle them down.

One thing I do with new shooters is to have them shoot my nose without a gun. That way you can see that their eyes are doing the right stuff. Eyes on the target, shoot when the gun gets to where you are looking. Also makes it easy to check that they are on the gun and moving the whole upper body. Start from lower right, lower left and just below for different target presentations.

Good for you for pitching in with the new shooters.

10. reddeath

reddeath TS Member

11. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

A drill you can do in your house or really anywhere. Mount the gun with your eyes closed. Preferably in front of a mirror. Open your eyes when its mounted and check for alingment and shoulder placement of the gun. When I began shooting in 2006, the was the first advice and the best that I received.

blade819

12. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

another good drill is to practice your gun swing seated in a chair, this makes for an upper body swing. keep your head in the gun all the way and do extremes from left to right.

13. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Several additional drills come to mind. Sometimes, I'll manually pull for them, but deliberately not pull when they call. Especially when they're on 1 or 5. Most are anticipating the hard left or right and move their gun accordingly. This drill shows them what they're typically doing, which is anticipating the bird. Another drill is to not have them call pull, but pull the bird when I want to. This helps them focus on the bird -- and shows them they have all the time to break it.

Another drill for more advanced shooters is to move the trap up or down to simulate face-on wind or a tailwind -- or just poorly set traps. Have them adjust their hold points up or down, respectively. Better to discover this in practice than on the line.

These not only improve their specific skills, but also breaks some of the routine of "normal" practice. We do drill into them, "Practice with a purpose." And these drills are to improve specific skills.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

exercise for better trap shooting

exercises for trap shooter
home practice drills for trap shooting
how to practice trap shooting

trap shooting drills

trap shooting exercises

trap shooting practice drills

trap shooting training drills